Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I have some tape things. And other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

olives black posted:

Nice collection! Do they all still run pretty well?

The WM-D6C is mint, and I have done the belts on it. I've done the belts on the TC-D5 too, but it does need a bit of trim on the output pots and it does have motor noise in the sound, so some capacitor is gone, which is beyond my ability. The Discmans (discmen?) are metal body top of the line players, and I have also owned the Z555. The D350 runs but is extremely sensitive for discs and movement, while the other one takes power, but does not spin.

The minidisc players are in perfect shape, but replacement gumstick batteries are a pain. They usually come with battery caddies for AA or AAA batteries, but that of course affects the ~aestethics~ Minidisc players are really a miracle of electronic and mechanical engineering, and in my experience by now they usually work perfectly or are completely unfixable.

Some other fun stuff I have owned:

Beocord 8002, god-tier tape deck:

Denon tower of power with DRS-610, 710 and 810, minidisc player and SACD player:

Sony DAT Walkman, the most fragile thing ever created:

Beocord 7000 tape deck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8FwmHKSviE

This is really just scratching the surface of all the vintage hifi and stereo stuff I've gone through. Being a mid 30s white male in an unhappy marriage gave me a LOT of time to browse classifieds and go out to buy things from other white males in the same situation.

Edit, what the hell, let's throw in a few more!

Sony ES system:

Bang & Olufsen with KEF LS50:

Sony ES tower of power:

Tapes I bought together with the D6C:

Repair and servicing-fest:

Decks, decks, decks:

evobatman fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 29, 2023

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Looks cool but is it based on the "techmoan special" mechanism?

Yes, you can see our old friend The Spring peeking out left of center. It's a dead giveaway.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

olives black posted:

I now have a workflow that I like for recording vinyl records to tape (Audio Technica AT-LP120 switched to line out and run directly into a Sony TC-WE305).

Been thinking about how best to get my CDs onto tape and boy oh boy this is a rabbit hole

https://youtu.be/GUf0heY1J_Y

https://youtu.be/Gl563onzwqU

2nd video says that the best budget CD transport is 500 euro :psyduck:

What's the problem with line out from your CD player to line in on your tape deck? Get a nice used Sony or Denon in whatever Craigslist equivalent you have, or go to your nearest thrift store and pick up a DVD player to use. You gotta make an active effort to find CD playback that's bad enough to be noticeable when recording on anything other than a Nakamichi Dragon.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ah I think I've found a suitable candidate for my new (1990) car.

That is a beauty!

It sucks that lobbyism killed FM radio here in Norway, otherwise I would have like 20 vintage head units in rotation in my 1999 Honda.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

AEMINAL posted:

Post your most expensive tape

And gently caress no I'm not putting a dab adapter in my car! My dashboards need to be clean and original, without dongles or adapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
My home office is done, so my Sony stereo finally got its forever home:

The tape deck is connected to the minidisc player, which is connected digitally to the Powernode, which powers the actual speakers. The Sony amplifier is just for looks right now.