Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

syntaxfunction posted:

Yeah see again, you're discounting people who don't like it and do see it as flaws. You can like cassette and all the not flaws it has, but you should probably also consider that people are allowed different takes and some people think cassette sounds like poo poo.

Personally I hate them because of the fragility, not sound reasons. And also honestly I just stream music now. They sound fine tho.

I can't tell the difference between a CD and a cassette unless the cassette is in really bad shape so for me it's like, I don't care then about the extra edge CDs bring. So for some of us we simply don't got any audiophile pretensions and where blessed not having to deal with crap like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Can't remember when a tape did that to me last time though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Buce posted:

my old toyota tercel devoured so many of my beloved tapes. i probably bought the same john prine album like 5 times because the deck kept mangling them :(

Good quality decks never ate tapes though. At least not in my experience.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Buce posted:

what part of late 80s "toyota tercel" made you think of good quality deck?

None, why?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ah I think I've found a suitable candidate for my new (1990) car.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tankakern posted:

:wrong:

dab owns, get an adapter instead

Dab sucks poo poo

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

evobatman posted:

That is a beauty!

It sucks that lobbyism killed FM radio here in Norway, otherwise I would have like 20 vintage head units in rotation in my 1999 Honda.

I heard of that utter piece of stupidity years ago and couldn't believe it. I still can't.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

New tape decks are nowhere as good as older ones made in the 80s, when you get into the 90s they tend to have lots of electronics that wasn't as durable or repairable as what the 80s ones. Mid to late 80s refurbished by someone would be the best bet if you can't do it yourself.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Finally got myself an Alpine (the other one I posted I missed out on). Not my ideal model but still, I like the look of the model a lot, it will go nicely in my Saab 900

Video of a similar unit being demoed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSEUYQ4NffE

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Aand installed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tarkus posted:

Tapes are actually surprisingly good when they're high quality. poo poo tapes are poo poo though but the same goes for LPs.

I just recorded a bunch off stuff off my PC via my luxman k-230 deck onto some NOS tapes, drat it sounds good when the source is also good quality.

And these are not metal, that's a lot of hype IMO that only metal tapes sound good. These are type 1s, Maxell URs.