Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

When I was a kid, in order to save money on mix tapes, I would dub records and radio to to the left and right channels separately and listen to them on my stereo with the right or left channel mixer knob.

Did anyone else do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

olives black posted:

The AUX jack is one of humankind's finest inventions. No way would I trust one of those things with one of my limited release cassettes in a hot car today

I didn't, but that's a clever idea

~Coxy posted:

That's hilarious!

Our family had a component system and then one of those "fake component" systems that had a CD player; I had a portable cassette player and didn't get a boombox until much later, so I never would have thought of that.

My dad had an Akai tower stereo set with a JVC tape deck and speakers from about 1980 or so. It was possible to mix stuff on the pre-amp to left and right from either the record play/radio or tape deck and really I found the left/right channel thing by accident because I had recorded Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon onto tape and it sounded like poo poo on (I think) the right channel. After that I found that it was possible to use the mono out from the pre-amp to go to the tape recorder and record both L/R from the record to the tape.

I had a late 80's Sony Boombox with a mixer/channel slider and when I played it back, it sounded acceptable but not very good. You could hear a little bit of bleedover from the other channel very faintly. Also, playing it in anything else was awful.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Tapes are actually surprisingly good when they're high quality. poo poo tapes are poo poo though but the same goes for LPs.