Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!
I keep my stuff rocking, I very unironically love my tapes, and my GE tape player I repaired myself.

I also make and listen to tapes at work:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

olives black posted:

I like the buttons on that player. Nice and fat and symmetrical

Pretty sure I had that desk CD/tape combo unit as a kid.

It's pretty good. Has a couple issues though. For one, my volume sliders are missing, and the parts seemingly don't exist. The equipment inside is unshielded, so I have to keep it away from my cell phone or other strong RF sources. And the tape door is a weak point; there is a hinge on one side, and a flat metal fork that that pushes a peg on the other, and that thing comes loose very easily with just a little upward pressure on the door.

That said, it's all metal and hard plastic construction inside, and will take a belt clip from a drill mounted with a screw, which is a big improvement over most players.

It's old, being from 1980, but it's pretty good. My understanding is that GE paid another Japanese company, maybe Sanyo or something, to reverse engineer the original Walkman, and this was the result.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

olives black posted:

How does it compare to any other portable players you might have, sound-wise?

Well, that depends. It's no frills, to be sure. Only features are a manual volume cut button, a High tone cut switch, two stereo headphone outputs, and independent Left/Right channel volume control. You can also adjust the head azimuth pretty easily and dramatically.

That said, the mechanism and head seem pretty good to me, and are better than the Sony Sport Walkmans and other branded tape players I've had. As long as you aren't someone who needs noise reduction, type selectors, a tape reverse play mechanism and "mega bass," it's amazing. It does one job, and does it well.

[Edit] OH and that fucker gets LOUD!

[Edit 2] If you want to look it up, it's called the General Electric Stereo Escape

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 31, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

olives black posted:

They're going for around $100-150 on eBay.

hmm...

Really? Got mine from either Goodwill's auction site or ebay for peanuts. Had to adjust head, play speed and do belts to put it right.