Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Hell yeah brother. Been collecting vaporwave tapes since 2014 (and yes I do listen to them) and properly recorded ones, especially chrome tapes - sound amazing on my 1989 Denon DRW-750

Here's an old pic of my setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

evobatman posted:

I have some tape things. And other things.

WOOF

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

replacing the belts on my DRW-750 was a nightmare, if you want an easily serviceable deck get something that isn't dual well.

see that thing in the middle right? thats the right cassette well which i had to pry open vertically to access the belts, which were almost molten

worth it in the end tho!

im currently looking for an early 90s sony dolby s deck, those are pimp but expensive

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

olives black posted:

Yikes

I just got one of these. It's not Dolby S but it's dual well and looks easy enough to do belt replacements in

https://youtu.be/g5gNYWG8pdE

there's two or three other video walkthroughs of belt replacements on this model as well

you're lucky, looks very serviceable AND has loving youtube videos on how to do it all! are you happy with the deck??

sadly nothing available rn here in sweden but i enabled a search notification thing for "sony deck" :)

bonus pic, here's a 1974 Fergusson with Dolby B and mixer sliders that I got from an old engineer I met on a bike ride (he was cleaning his garage out)

i would have kept it but sold it for 20 bucks because i couldn't be bothered to fix it.
the play/pause button was hosed and the belts obviously melted to goop. hopefully the nerd i sold it to services it back to working order. cool looking deck for sure tho

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

syntaxfunction posted:

This is the poo poo that haunts audiophiles in their sleep lol

Next you'll probably double blinds, or cancellation tests, you absolute nutter.

lmao yes

listen to this poo poo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ifPF41EqDFZwQqV1QNHaz3hg0iPtTdjy/view?usp=share_link

it was recorded from my PC onto ferric UR-90 tape, then recorded back digitally onto my PC into .flac

barely noticeable quality-wise from the original machine girl track (track #2 here https://machinegirl.bandcamp.com/album/gemini), heck some may say it sounds better - a bit less harsh on the eardrums

edit:

also here are some of the custom J-cards i've made!!!

god i love cassettes!!!!!!!!

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 29, 2023

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I have beyerdynamic DT700s. I use DT100s and DT700s a lot at work and they're the most comfortable big headphones I've used. Sound good for the money too.

noice

i use the cheaper AKG k371s with new brainwavz ear cushions and a equalizer apo config to make it sound flat, along with a 6 dB <80 hz bass boost because i'm a deviant bass-head

would recommend. v. good price/performance if you enjoy bass and hardy long lasting headphones. i fall asleep with them on most nights!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

evobatman posted:

The WM-D6C is mint, and I have done the belts on it. I've done the belts on the TC-D5 too, but it does need a bit of trim on the output pots and it does have motor noise in the sound, so some capacitor is gone, which is beyond my ability. The Discmans (discmen?) are metal body top of the line players, and I have also owned the Z555. The D350 runs but is extremely sensitive for discs and movement, while the other one takes power, but does not spin.

The minidisc players are in perfect shape, but replacement gumstick batteries are a pain. They usually come with battery caddies for AA or AAA batteries, but that of course affects the ~aestethics~ Minidisc players are really a miracle of electronic and mechanical engineering, and in my experience by now they usually work perfectly or are completely unfixable.

Some other fun stuff I have owned:

Beocord 8002, god-tier tape deck:

Denon tower of power with DRS-610, 710 and 810, minidisc player and SACD player:

Sony DAT Walkman, the most fragile thing ever created:

Beocord 7000 tape deck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8FwmHKSviE

This is really just scratching the surface of all the vintage hifi and stereo stuff I've gone through. Being a mid 30s white male in an unhappy marriage gave me a LOT of time to browse classifieds and go out to buy things from other white males in the same situation.

Edit, what the hell, let's throw in a few more!

Sony ES system:

Bang & Olufsen with KEF LS50:

Sony ES tower of power:

Tapes I bought together with the D6C:

Repair and servicing-fest:

Decks, decks, decks:

This guy FUCKS

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Bula Vinaka posted:

The Technics RS-B965 that I mentioned earlier has dbx instead of Dolby S, which is better!

dang didnt even know of DBX

what deck would you recommend price/performance-wise? something around 300 bucks tops in tip tip shape?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

afen posted:

Or you could use spice racks from IKEA:

holy poo poo

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Bula Vinaka posted:

I still have those wooden things that hang on the wall, they hold 100 cassettes each. I have two of them and I think I bought them at Musicland in the early 1990's. :)

You can still buy them for $50 each:

https://kingdom.com/100-capacity-wood-cassette-rack-unfinished-wood.html

I painted mine with Mars Black Liquitex Artist's Acrylic, with glow in the dark paint stripes. (I have excellent taste.)

gently caress. i need this. wonder what shipping to sweden would end up costing... probably more than the rack itself :(

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Post your most expensive tape

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

AEMINAL posted:

Post your most expensive tape

here's some of mine:

if you know, you know ;)

here's my "tower of power":

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Does anyone know if those 100 count wooden tape holders are available in the EU?

Or am I going to have to build one.... :(

JSmithOTI posted:

Started collecting tapes this year and it's been a lot of fun. Up to 130 right now and I've been using random number generators to decide which one to listen to from the collection. I love the chonky buttons that cassette players.

Started with one of those new Bluetooth players, but upgraded(?) to a used Aiwa player which sounds a lot better! Figuring out storage is less fun, but I must continue this addiction. Who knew that cataloging via spreadsheets and re-alphabatizing the collection could be so enjoyable?

Nice!

You should check Discogs out, it lets you add your collection easily.

One of my hobbies is making my own custom j-card art for albums that never had cassette releases, and recording them ofc. Got a stash of really nice chrome tapes waiting to be used.

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

holy gently caress