Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjpQlAbz28s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryeIDS4xQ-g

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

drat. got'em

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

evobatman posted:

I have some tape things. And other things.

gently caress man... you seen the ebay prices on those D5s and D6s? A few years back I used to want a D5M. Recently started looking again and just gave up. Prices are too crazy, even for ones that need work.

I did end up buying a refurbed radio-recording walkman though, but for 1/20th the price

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
A few decades of tech press has made it hard for most people to view devices through any kind of lens other than like... technical specifications. Fidelity, accuracy, precision, and maybe most of all, convenience, as if those are the objective priorities of all people in all matters. With a lot of stuff I like, those aren't my priority. Why should they be? I'm a human being. drat. There's nothing objective about how we like to experience music anyway.

This isn't to poo poo on anyone I just think "spec" conversations miss the point when we're all irrational around such irrational things as hobbies and/or interests anyway.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Mister Speaker posted:

I don't know what you're talking about. I use my loving ears.

What I'm talking about is you like fidelity, cool. Plenty of people care about other things more. It's not some objective measure of good or bad

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
cmon man

news flash: painting is objectively bad because it is inferior to photography's fidelity to reality. it's ok if you like it because it's bad but you have to admit. all painting: bad

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I have beyerdynamic DT700s. I use DT100s and DT700s a lot at work and they're the most comfortable big headphones I've used. Sound good for the money too.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i'm simultaneously jealous and ashamed

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

olives black posted:

Yeah, I'm looking around at different solutions (drawers/cases/etc.) for dealing with this problem. The Container Store has nothing last I checked, which is a bummer because I really like their vinyl crates. I live in an apartment with walls that don't take anything heavier than a framed picture, so whatever I go with needs to be free-standing.

Rubbermaid 50 Gallon "Brute"

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I got a WM-GX51 and have seen a few traces online of cassette nerds saying the mechanism in it isn't great. Any expert know what I'm supposed to watch out for? Why the rep?There's a dude in slovakia selling cnc-machined clutch gear replacements, if that's a clue.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Caesar Saladin posted:

How do you go to the next track on cassette? Can you press a "next" button or you do you have to fastforward? Because that sounds like it would be really annoying.

Some good ones had a FF/REW that detected pauses and would stop at the breaks between tracks. Especially car players had this.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

olives black posted:

Think I might put some more effort into the OP soon. There's some cool stuff coming down the pipe!

New portable tape player is available for pre-order and ships in a couple of weeks. The previous model was audiophile approved:

https://youtu.be/vS-4EhkU-m8

Looks cool but is it based on the "techmoan special" mechanism?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

wait for it posted:

Cassettes were fun but let's be real, when they'd get all jammed up in the reels and you'd have to try to get the tape out of the reading head and put it all back in the cassette by spinning the thing with your finger. That poo poo all sucked. Mix tapes were fun though.

CD's are dumb, all my old ones have holes in them now. Plus if you're listening to ones and zeroes you might as use a digital library on a pc or phone.

Vinyl is best for collecting. I have some from the 60's that still play alright. Art and liner notes the size of a calendar is pretty good.

I like records too but some stuff (like DJ mixes, instrumental beat tapes and such) works best on cassette. But yeah vinyl's definitely more of a standard for posterity, like I've got a 1960 45 that plays like new.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Other cassette points:

Anybody learn to do proper tape re-animation? I was digitizing some really old audio letters from the early to late 70s between now-deceased in-laws, which is a cool idea considering the time - not like you could afford to phone the South Pacific from Europe. Anyway I discovered it was easy as gently caress to fix a broken tape. Just crack it open and tape it back into the uptake reel or do a cheapo splice job with some scotch tape. Stretched tape is more annoying but fixable digitally (see I'm not a luddite).

Another thing I used to do on cassette back in the day was sort of ... cut n paste mixes without the cutting. I had a combination CD/tape/AM/FM thing by my bed and would stay up late nights listening to weird college radio stations, top 40, NPR, whatever and record short snippets in a sort of live, linear collage of anything I found interesting, or interesting to manipulate in that way. I'm talking mostly actual noisy collage; very rarely did I let something run for more than a few seconds. I made like 10 tapes of this, some 12-13 hours I think. It's fun to listen back to as an artifact of what radio was like then, what was in the news, what was being advertised, what music was out there, but also for some real moments of insane synchronicity in the act of live collaging. Unfortunately like most stuff I do there's an audience of approximately 1 for poo poo like that. I did this for much of 1999-2003 and in fits and starts since then. Tape 11 is still in progress actually, but it's been like 6 years since I've added to it.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Is that the only company making tapes now? Or can you still get TDKs or something? New blanks has not been a concern for me in a long time but I've been thinking of making something for my cousin.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i don't have a pic but i have the hand printed version of this with only 5 copies made

https://tapeofthemonthclub.bandcamp.com/album/drumetrics-drb-adb-001-tape-only

i don't buy tapes for hypebeast rarity but i wanted the two tape only tracks and when i looked, it was there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

The old tape deck my pops had died, trying to find a new one so we can keep listening to all the old cassettes he has and transfer them over. Is it recommended if im looking for another tape deck to go with something older thats been refurbished or buy a new one from the couple companies that still make em like TEAC and the like?

I'd say refurbished. There's a lot of cheap ish new ones, especially small/portable ones, that all share a pretty crap mechanism as if I understand it correctly it's the only one being manufactured. TEAC won't be using that one though, I didn't know they still sold new. Refurbishment is relatively easy so you can get really good stuff that route too.