Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
If you want, I'll tell you the best Hi-Fi tape deck ever made.

Actually, I just tell you anyways.

It's the Technics RS-B965.

One that is in very good condition will now be selling for >$1,000 on eBay now.

It was perfect for recording, because it was three headed, so it could record a test tone and play it back at the same time. The test tone would display on the deck's meter. You then had two adjustment controls that would let you set perfect bias and levels for whatever blank cassette you had loaded, from cheap to expensive.

This let you make perfect recordings of anything. It had a "CD Direct" jack for connecting a CD player directly to the deck. You could switch from the CD input to what it was recording, and they would usually sound near identical, even if you were recording on a cheap blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I remember when CD's were the future, because with digital sound, analog noise was a thing of the past. Everyone was always writing about how music listened to via tape or vinyl was "mostly noise" so eliminating it would be a great thing.

Until people eventually figured out that pure digital recording and playback sounded flat and dull, and people actually liked the sound of tape and vinyl better. This is because small amounts of noise mixed in to music actually sounds good to most people. So instead of calling it noise they now call it things like "saturation".

Tape imparts its own small amounts of EQ curve, compression, and analog saturation.

It's important enough of a thing that nowadays most modern mixing engineers who mix entirely on computer use plugins that try to simulate the effects of tape, and there are a LOT of commercial plugins available that try to do this.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

olives black posted:

Thinking about getting this demagnetizing wand for my players and deck:

Universal HEAD DEMAGNETIZER for Cassette Tape Deck Recorder Reel to Reel 8 Track VHS Audio Video https://a.co/d/3OHfnoe

Is that a good one, or they all p much the same?

I still have one that I ordered from Herrington in the 1990s that still works. The one you linked is probably fine.

You're supposed to use it like a monitor degausser. You turn it on while about three feet away from the deck. Then carefully move it up to the head and wave it over the head, then back away three feet, then turn it off.

Keep it away from computers and hard drives.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

AEMINAL posted:

replacing the belts on my DRW-750 was a nightmare, if you want an easily serviceable deck get something that isn't dual well.

see that thing in the middle right? thats the right cassette well which i had to pry open vertically to access the belts, which were almost molten

worth it in the end tho!

im currently looking for an early 90s sony dolby s deck, those are pimp but expensive

The Technics RS-B965 that I mentioned earlier has dbx instead of Dolby S, which is better!

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

afen posted:

Real cassette decks have wood trim!

Sony ES equipment typically came in different versions of essentially the same models, which were usually the same except for the inclusion of the wood side panels, gold plated jacks, and some other cosmetic stuff. The main feature of Sony ES is that the preamp on ES equipment is different than the preamp on non-ES equipment (obviously it's better).

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I still have those wooden things that hang on the wall, they hold 100 cassettes each. I have two of them and I think I bought them at Musicland in the early 1990's. :)

You can still buy them for $50 each:

https://kingdom.com/100-capacity-wood-cassette-rack-unfinished-wood.html

I painted mine with Mars Black Liquitex Artist's Acrylic, with glow in the dark paint stripes. (I have excellent taste.)

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
In my opinion, the Technics (Panasonic / Matsushida) RS-B965 is the best tape deck ever made. Connecting a CD player to the "CD Direct" jack, and then switching between this input and the tape recording as it's recording (which you can do on a 3-head deck), it's pretty much impossible to tell the difference unless you are using very bad or damaged tape. I bought mine when I was still in college and it blew me away, especially when I played my recording in my car (a 1986 New Yorker) which only had a cassette player (but I had upgraded the rear speakers and installed an amplifier).

One of them just came up on eBay with an $899 buy-it-now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175919824394

It's used but has been fully serviced. It's the 100V Japanese model so you need a step-down converter for use in the USA. Most people recommend these cheap Chinese made models on Amazon but I highly recommend ACUPWR as they are way better made and much safer, although they cost quite a lot more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC2aeHc6fvc

By the way, the late 1980's New Yorker has sort of become a meme with its cheesy talking voice instead of tones, which I guess Chrysler though was extremely high tech at the time or something (including its green all digital display):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW9nmuTqIE0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

sex excellence posted:

do you like making up stuff or are you just thick... tape recordings (like vinyl) suck fundamentally and literally do not have enough physical space on them to hold the entire frequency range most music was composed to use. bass is generally greatly diminished or outright removed to compensate so you get weak mixes. Tape isn't "imparting" poo poo, audio engineers have to mutilate a song to get it to fit on this obsolete and frankly gay format

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

u wot mate?