Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

AEMINAL posted:

Post your most expensive tape

The first official Bolt Thrower recording, a live rehearsal in december 1986. It never came with artwork insert and was quickly discontinued. Idk what it's worth to be honest, but original BT stuff often goes for several hundred bucks and this is probably their rarest release, it also has three instrumentals that were never used on any later recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Snowy posted:

Holy poo poo!! That rules

E- one of them sold on Discogs for $10.75 in 2020 but I’m guessing someone just got super lucky. It’s the only sale on record there

Yeah old demo cassettes are more of a niche collecting topic I think. It doesn't look like much if you don't know, and there is nothing/little to find online regarding value/sales history compared to CDs & vinyl.
And there are a lot of tape trading dubs and bootlegs around, especially for the bigger more collectible bands we used to swap rare live and demo stuff a lot. So it's not reasonable for an old head to be like, well :10bux: for this old cassette I found in my basement :shrug:? But sometimes these things can explode on auction, for example a few years ago I've seen BT's Concession of War demo on UK ebay sell for almost 300$ and I have sold some of my old tapes myself for that kind of money.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Tankakern posted:

isn't the case that all prerecorded music tapes always are poo poo? since they never are metal types

Metal tapes are very exotic to me, I don't think I've ever even seen those for sale back in the day. What I had access to were the usual poo poo-brown ferro tapes you'd find in the supermarket and they could be hit or miss for sure, especially when the format started to phase out, and the black chrome dioxide ones which were the bees knees. If you got one of those in a trade you know the guy cared about you lol. I listened to a Bauhaus chrome mixtape from the 80s not too long ago and that one still sounded as good as a dub from vinyl could get. Honestly I don't know how the quality is these days because I don't buy any new tapes but I can't imagine they are any better than the lovely ones in the late 90s/00s.

Grab Im Moor fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 21, 2023