Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

thinking to maybe start buying some stuff on cassette again, I mostly listen to metal and they've very much moved back to vinyl and cassette releases as a genre and I have a unit that does both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

My buddy runs Desert Records and I know they've done some stuff on cassette with Heavy Temple recently, and I do love some Heavy Temple

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I have that Sleep album they recorded live direct to acetate at Third Man but every other vinyl I own ain't that, it's more artwork and having a physical copy that isn't going to rot/cool poo poo. They all come with digital downloads anyway, for the most part.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LimaBiker posted:

I've seen that once, in a very expensive Mercedes. Awesome stuff.

Here's a reminder to turn on your cassette players once every couple of months, even if you're not gonna listen to them. Mechanical things like to be used once in a while or mechanisms will gum up, bearings will go sticky etc.

yeah gently caress I need to do that, I don't have any cassettes right now for my victrola all-in-one cuz thats what I use downstairs rn since I have no space
I hate it because it's good at nothing, but I love it because it does everything

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

y'all listening on cans or what

I won a pair of Massdrop x Sennheiser 6XX's at work last year and I'm really partial to them for listening to my analog stuff. I won a pair of HD280s as well, but I much prefer the 6XXs - the 280s are so flat they'd be great for mastering something but I don't feel like they're as enjoyable to just listen to, say, a High on Fire record or Heavy Temple tape with.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Marx Headroom posted:

As someone who collects tapes the worst part is storing the loving things. They take up so much goddamned space.

Records take up way less space but man, a box of records is h e a v y a s f u c k.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I like records too but some stuff (like DJ mixes, instrumental beat tapes and such) works best on cassette. But yeah vinyl's definitely more of a standard for posterity, like I've got a 1960 45 that plays like new.

neat thrift store finds, too. I got this one called DISCO GOLD #4 that was new in packaging from somwhere in the late 70's/early 80's (no dates anywhere), and it's a bunch of unlicensed covers of huge disco songs, some good, some (people who can't sing like the Brothers Gibb covering the Brothers Gibb) not so good, made by some company called Dimensional Sound. I thought I was just getting a vinyl mix, didn't realizing I was getting a bunch of unique, unlicensed covers by uncredited artists lol.

Looking it up, looks like 1978.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol that Pioneer is sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Tarkus posted:

Tapes are actually surprisingly good when they're high quality. poo poo tapes are poo poo though but the same goes for LPs.

yeah this