Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

kntfkr posted:

Minidisc was the best, dork.

I had a portable compact cassette player (not a Walkman, I was poor) for years and MiniDisc felt like the goddamn future.
Early portable CD players chewed AA batteries and skipped like mad, plus very few people had burners so you were stuck listening to pressed CDs instead of mixtapes.
The MiniDisc with a rechargeable lithium battery and dub whatever you like onto a cheap digital medium was amazing. And you could even (very painfully) enter the title and artist on your tracks and see them on the dot-matrix screen! Let's see your CD do that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

When I was young I was so dumb I couldn't actually hear hiss or other artefacts.
I used to go to school and leave the longest tape I had recording the radio.
When I came home I would scrub through the recording and find songs I wanted or liked, then dumb those recordings onto a "master" to keep.
It must have sounded goddamn terrible.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

How do you go to the next track on cassette? Can you press a "next" button or you do you have to fastforward? Because that sounds like it would be really annoying.

If you're really dedicated you write the tape counter number next to each track on the J card.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Tarkus posted:

When I was a kid, in order to save money on mix tapes, I would dub records and radio to to the left and right channels separately and listen to them on my stereo with the right or left channel mixer knob.

Did anyone else do this?

That's hilarious!

Our family had a component system and then one of those "fake component" systems that had a CD player; I had a portable cassette player and didn't get a boombox until much later, so I never would have thought of that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

kntfkr posted:

i bought a cassette tape this weekend :)

This is a bit of a derail but I noticed that my local discount department store has rolls of 35mm film as a regular SKU, $14 for a roll of ASA 200 lol