Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I agree so much that in addition to spending $300 on a refurb'd TEAC reel to reel last summer, I spent $350 on this silly bullshit

it's not the most useful thing in my rack but it's the funniest. Also it's got a gate in / tru so you can use it as a weird drum machine pretty easily, also works super well with looptapes, obviously

here's about 1/3 of our cassette collection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVon_9VmMEc

here's my favorite cassette-based ambient performance

https://heimatderkatastrophe.bandcamp.com/

This is my favorite label who make regular cassette releases, mostly a mix of dungeon core and soviet-bloc inspired synthwave.

CASSETTE LIFE

e: new, sealed, Maxwell Gold tapes from the 90s era eBay for about 30% more than they cost new, inflation adjusted :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Sex Farm posted:

How did they make the music work on both sides of it

the tape is split down the middle, side A is on one side, side B is on the other. It's not on the front and back of the tape that would not work at all.

let's not forget about VideoDisc. I don't mean LaserDisc, I mean video disc, which was literally "cassette technology but on a spinning platter inside a cartridge, used for 240p video content". It was like the unholy mashup of a tape deck, a record player and a VHS machine (which this predated IIRC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

Wiki uses 3rd Encounters as their example graphic, which was probably one of the discs we had. My dad got the machine because some local store had a deal where if you bought one, you got 2 free rentals a week for a year.

I think I watched The Last Unicorn so many times that I burned up like 10-20% of those 104 free rentals on it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Mr.Acula posted:

I havent seen a car with a cassette player in years

Have you ever seen a car with an aux in and do you know what a walkman is? :elon:

Alternately if you only have Bluetooth you can get a RCA to BT transmitter for about fifteen bucks.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Hey! One of my friends is at a museum of african american musical history somewhere and sent me a bunch of pics that include these

olives black posted:

Thank you for this nice, beefy post. That's a cool looking rig! Would deffo read/watch anything you feel like posting about your work with it and/or your TEAC reel-to-reel.

I should qualify that I misspoke, and just meant a 2-cassette player that can play and record. But, hopefully posting a picture of a used-by-famous-people actual TEAC reel-to-reel redeems me a bit :ohdear:

e: that one is, I guess, the only reel to reel from Black Ark that survived the studio fire and it was used by Lee Scratch Perry until his death. The charred hunk on top is part of the studio! TIL

edit2:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 13, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

New tape decks are nowhere as good as older ones made in the 80s, when you get into the 90s they tend to have lots of electronics that wasn't as durable or repairable as what the 80s ones. Mid to late 80s refurbished by someone would be the best bet if you can't do it yourself.

I came back from my parents with this; they let me go through all their old AV stuff; 4 out of 6 tape decks do not spin but both of these work, one sounds great, the recording head sounds dirty but I haven't tried a cleaner yet, because I am lazy. My friend who is more cassette brained than me said "of course you just take it if it's being offered, if both decks work you're probably looking at spending several hundred dollars to get anything similar, who cares about the CD tray". He's right, but I've still been tinkering with the CD tray, and I have it more working.

Also got a pair of these sweet $100-in-1972 speakers to go along with:

These are 20-30 years older than the speakers that came with the Sony, which were also sitting down there. These sound better, and look like speakers, instead of that weird 90s thing of speakers that look like a flux capacitor.

Because I am very smart, I just spent around $35 shipped for a 30-year-old cassette which also has a more recent re-issue I could have gotten for less money and which would be more likely to not sound like it's been in a lake.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/XucyVBf.mp4

(sound on)

Just doing normal things to listen to badly degraded Nirvana tapes from 35 years ago!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

wait are those crappy little Sony 2-tape/CD sets worth money now? because my dad has like 5 of those scattered throughout the house all in perfect shape

so did my dad, but actually only 2/6 decks worked, pristine condition or not, so that's the first thing to check.

if you have random tape decks from the 90s in good shape that work, yes they are probably nicer than anything you can easily get new in 2023 and also might have some resale value on reverb etc, especially if they play type III/IV tapes ("METAL" toggle switch, often)