Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Pros: Relatively small salvage yard that's easy to keep looking nice. I love taking things apart, and cars have a lot of parts. I've learned a lot about cars and the scrap metal industry. Don't have to worry about breaking things too much; it's a junkyard, you get what you pay for. It's <10 minutes from my house. It pays pretty well and I can skip the gym membership cause this poo poo is a workout all day.

Cons: It's located in a decent size town for a rural area, but the turn over here is really high, and it's almost impossible to get somewhat intelligent, reliable, and sober people to stay. Nothing but tweakers and young goofballs that have no idea what they're getting into until it's too late. It's hard work and it's very easy get injured if you're not careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

Another cool thing, perhaps the most fun thing, about working in a salvage yard is finding all the weird poo poo people leave in their vehicles. Among other things I've found: a full drumset, an entire gas station's worth of barely expired potato chips, an electric scooter, a Sriracha bottle Halloween costume, an urn filled with ashes (it was the car owners brother apparently). Way more TVs than you might expect. Just today I found three bowling balls and a lawn mower engine in a Tahoe.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Is there a particular make/model of vehicle that consistently has good finds in it, or one that's cursed with consistently the worst finds?

Minivans. They're cheap and big, so people sometimes treat them like dumpsters, at least the ones that end up at the yard.

It really depends on where the vehicle comes from, more than make/model. Some old person dies and their family is just trying to get rid of their stuff? The car is immaculate. A car sitting behind a barn for two decades? Mouse nests, feces, and corpses. A car from the country sheriff's impound lot? Chock full of trash, clothes, loose change, empty beer cans, etc.

oh dope fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 16, 2023

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

JnnyThndrs posted:

I found a small vinyl bag full of crack jammed between the battery and inner fenderwell on a broken Tahoe that some used car dealer brought to me straight from the auction to fix.

I've found plenty of paraphernalia, but never any actual drugs.

Also, I get gas for free.