Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Koito Koganei is the 15th miko for the Takamimi Shrine, and it has recently become her responsibility to attend to Elda, the shrine's deity, who has been residing there since the Tokugawa Shogunate. Elda's recently become a bit of a recluse though, and Koito's grandpa has been spoiling the goddess rotten with toys, snacks, video games and energy drinks. Still, the neighbourhood loves Elda and continues to provide her with offerings befitting her otaku interests. As part of her new job, Koito's trying to get Elda to leave her room to see the wonders of modern Tokyo, all the people who care for her, and make some new friends along the way.

I'm really enjoying Edomae Elf because it contains otaku culture without relying solely on the reference to [licensed properties] being the joke. Outside of the obvious Red Bull sponsorship they don't really draw attention to all the dorky stuff Elda is into, and I kind of like the stuff that's made up for the show like the Frog Panzers. It's definitely carried by the relationship between the two main characters, and it feels like they're also focusing on showing off local specialties, customs and foods that one might offer to a goddess of fortune. Elda also talks about how stuff was back in the Edo days and compares it to nerdy stuff today. That Ieyasu-kun sounds like an interesting fellow!

The interactions between all the characters is lively and fun, but the show also has an undercurrent of melancholy because while Elda is a comforting, unchanging presence to everyone in the neighbourhood, her immortality means she's fated to bear witness to the drastic changes happening in the world, and to watch her loved ones continually grow old and pass on. I especially like their use of wide angle shots showing off the neighbourhood to contrast it with the cramped inner sanctum that Elda uses as her NEET-lair.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The show has a lot of good and cute facial expressions.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also I really like the compositing on the ED, how it incorporates the 2d drawings into the real life photo backgrounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y68I1GeXESk

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Elda falling victim to bad toy luck hit close to home man

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
The manga it's based on is licensed in English as Otaku Elf (also used in the anime's eyecatch), with the translation currently at Volume 5. Sticks pretty close so far, though some parts have been moved around.

('Cause the manga didn't have a Red Bull sponsorship, its substitute is Red Bell.)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

hi this show is funny and cute and good and ppl should watch it ok bye

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

symbolic posted:

hi this show is funny and cute and good and ppl should watch it ok bye

This post is relevant to my interests and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The rare reverse isekai show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

The rare reverse isekai show.

The rare good any kind of isekai show

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

congratulations everyone on making it just under ten posts before somehow making an "isekai bad" quip

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Julias posted:

Also I really like the compositing on the ED, how it incorporates the 2d drawings into the real life photo backgrounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y68I1GeXESk

yeah i love this trick every time it shows up (see also: gridman, sarazanmai)

this one they had to build the set from the show which is fun

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

More S-rank Elda expressions

No more tears, Koito...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Watching episode 3, and I just got the joke with Takamimi Shrine once I saw the Kanji.

TL note: Takamimi means Long Ears

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Okay, so if only an elf can get an elf cold, and Elda got it from Yord...

Where did Yord get it?

:tinfoil:

EDIT: It has just occurred to me that this show shares a motif with another manga that's soon to be animated: FRIEREN.

There will now be a brief moment whilst everyone ponders Frieren getting caught by a mimic because it had "Get your Frog Tanks here!" on the front.

Doodles fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 29, 2023

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I love Rie Kugimiya at full gremlin, very chaotic levels of adorable. I'm happy that she's just as much of a handful as Elda, just in a different way. I hope we get to see a lot more of Hiromimi crew since it let's us see more of Elda's caring side outside of Koito.

A thought popped in my mind when Elda was complaining about wanting her original doctor. She's been around long enough to talk about how grown people were like as kids, all the reminiscing about Edo, and her fascination with seemingly mundane things like glass containers, Elda is basically a grandma. It works really well with how she acts since I love her character, but I wonder how far they're going to go into the "everyone you know is starting to die" part of living a long time.

While reading up on Edo stuff I noticed they use Felice Beato's panorama photograph from the 1860s in the OP, during the part where Koito is growing up but Elda is unchanging. That part always makes me a little bit sad, I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into her strained smile and posture there paired with the tone of the music at that point.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

A thought popped in my mind when Elda was complaining about wanting her original doctor. She's been around long enough to talk about how grown people were like as kids, all the reminiscing about Edo, and her fascination with seemingly mundane things like glass containers, Elda is basically a grandma. It works really well with how she acts since I love her character, but I wonder how far they're going to go into the "everyone you know is starting to die" part of living a long time.

Not much, going by the manga so far; it's not a series that looks to the future like that.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

It is a travesty that we didn't see anyone actually eat those sparkling pork buns

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's still one more elf from another shrine to meet and she is also a unique handful

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I just wanna hug Yolde, I'm pretty sure she makes a squeaky toy noise when squeezed.

https://burningjustice.net/sa/yoldecry.mp4

https://burningjustice.net/sa/yoldehappy.mp4

https://burningjustice.net/sa/yoldesick.mp4

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
hey
this show is nice.
really big fan of both the ending and opening

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The music video for the OP is also pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlTMXFbPfKw

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

Oh, hell yeah.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Coxswain Balls posted:

This is a great piece.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

elda, don't pray for your miko to bomb her test

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I like that this episode gave Koyuzu some time. She's been in the background so far and it was good to see the sisters bonding over bubbles.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

new elf droppin
https://twitter.com/edomae_elf/status/1661297232602185734

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I wonder if Ryou Yamada got her "culinary talents" from Haira. :chef:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

It really is a major nitpick but are there a large amount of elves living at shrines or are there only a few? As the miko Koito doesnt seem to be very unaware that there are other elves out there. But if thats the case wouldnt the few that there are be a really big deal and really well known to the point that everyone knows their name? Its very stupid, but it just keeps distracting me while I watch the show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

It really is a major nitpick but are there a large amount of elves living at shrines or are there only a few? As the miko Koito doesnt seem to be very unaware that there are other elves out there. But if thats the case wouldnt the few that there are be a really big deal and really well known to the point that everyone knows their name? Its very stupid, but it just keeps distracting me while I watch the show.

They've been around for centuries so I think the initial buzz has worn off they're more living monuments in a sense than people

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

something that is initially incredibly novel and groundbreaking eventually becomes just an accepted thing as people get used to it. there are certainly still people who regard the elves highly, but as they have been around for so long, they are just part of the landscape so to speak. living monuments like xelkevos said. they'll be local fixtures that are more or less unchanging throughout the lives of people living there

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
The various TV series Elda has on tape in today's episode must be references to actual shows, as is usual for the program. I figured out one: "You Weren't In My Dreams" is probably a reference to "I'll See You In My Dreams" from the late 90's, but I am dense and do not know what the other shows being referenced are. he;lp?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The FF7 joke got a laugh from me.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I don't like how the show makes me feel melancholic about the passage of time. :negative: Really nice show otherwise, though!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Zeruel posted:

I don't like how the show makes me feel melancholic about the passage of time. :negative: Really nice show otherwise, though!

I love it. It's interesting to think how someone who will remember you forever and ever might affect people's views on mortality, and also how that would affect the person with immortality.

This week's ending was really sweet, I think Koito realizes that the way she feels when seeing her mom on the tape is the same thing that helps out Elda by remembering better times with loved ones who have passed on. Elda's not going anywhere so she's the one who should keep the tapes and mementos.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

God, Yolde gives me a toothache. She's such a good elf.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
It's okay, Haira will make you some nice salad to counter all the sugar.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I just realized that Uramimi crew is voiced by Suletta and Prospera.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
That would explain so much. Prospera's trying to erase gambling debts! :thunkher:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

kept rolling the gacha to get Aerial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh no, I just started watching this and was only half paying attention to the OP until this cold op

is the Osaka elf... the dreaded Japanese stand up????