Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Koito Koganei is the 15th miko for the Takamimi Shrine, and it has recently become her responsibility to attend to Elda, the shrine's deity, who has been residing there since the Tokugawa Shogunate. Elda's recently become a bit of a recluse though, and Koito's grandpa has been spoiling the goddess rotten with toys, snacks, video games and energy drinks. Still, the neighbourhood loves Elda and continues to provide her with offerings befitting her otaku interests. As part of her new job, Koito's trying to get Elda to leave her room to see the wonders of modern Tokyo, all the people who care for her, and make some new friends along the way.

I'm really enjoying Edomae Elf because it contains otaku culture without relying solely on the reference to [licensed properties] being the joke. Outside of the obvious Red Bull sponsorship they don't really draw attention to all the dorky stuff Elda is into, and I kind of like the stuff that's made up for the show like the Frog Panzers. It's definitely carried by the relationship between the two main characters, and it feels like they're also focusing on showing off local specialties, customs and foods that one might offer to a goddess of fortune. Elda also talks about how stuff was back in the Edo days and compares it to nerdy stuff today. That Ieyasu-kun sounds like an interesting fellow!

The interactions between all the characters is lively and fun, but the show also has an undercurrent of melancholy because while Elda is a comforting, unchanging presence to everyone in the neighbourhood, her immortality means she's fated to bear witness to the drastic changes happening in the world, and to watch her loved ones continually grow old and pass on. I especially like their use of wide angle shots showing off the neighbourhood to contrast it with the cramped inner sanctum that Elda uses as her NEET-lair.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

More S-rank Elda expressions

No more tears, Koito...

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I love Rie Kugimiya at full gremlin, very chaotic levels of adorable. I'm happy that she's just as much of a handful as Elda, just in a different way. I hope we get to see a lot more of Hiromimi crew since it let's us see more of Elda's caring side outside of Koito.

A thought popped in my mind when Elda was complaining about wanting her original doctor. She's been around long enough to talk about how grown people were like as kids, all the reminiscing about Edo, and her fascination with seemingly mundane things like glass containers, Elda is basically a grandma. It works really well with how she acts since I love her character, but I wonder how far they're going to go into the "everyone you know is starting to die" part of living a long time.

While reading up on Edo stuff I noticed they use Felice Beato's panorama photograph from the 1860s in the OP, during the part where Koito is growing up but Elda is unchanging. That part always makes me a little bit sad, I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into her strained smile and posture there paired with the tone of the music at that point.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I just wanna hug Yolde, I'm pretty sure she makes a squeaky toy noise when squeezed.

https://burningjustice.net/sa/yoldecry.mp4

https://burningjustice.net/sa/yoldehappy.mp4

https://burningjustice.net/sa/yoldesick.mp4

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The music video for the OP is also pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlTMXFbPfKw

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Zeruel posted:

I don't like how the show makes me feel melancholic about the passage of time. :negative: Really nice show otherwise, though!

I love it. It's interesting to think how someone who will remember you forever and ever might affect people's views on mortality, and also how that would affect the person with immortality.

This week's ending was really sweet, I think Koito realizes that the way she feels when seeing her mom on the tape is the same thing that helps out Elda by remembering better times with loved ones who have passed on. Elda's not going anywhere so she's the one who should keep the tapes and mementos.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

God, Yolde gives me a toothache. She's such a good elf.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I just realized that Uramimi crew is voiced by Suletta and Prospera.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'd watch her set.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I thought they were gonna go there in the first episode when she explained why she doesn't go out as often any more, but it was just that punk kid Kisaburou.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

How much of the manga does the show cover? I think I'm going to pick it up since it's probably unlikely this is going to get another season. The characters are great and I really enjoyed all the history tidbits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Zeruel posted:

I'm going to miss Elda whisper screaming "Koito! "

Gonna make this my notification sound