Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chad Sexington posted:

Good thing players will never do another Olympics.

I named my cat after TJ Oshie after that game.

I like to think the cat already had a name for many years and it just changed after that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'd be a lot more suspicious if Stone had ever played a full season but that man is definitely made of glass

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'd be a lot more suspicious if Stone had ever played a full season but that man is definitely made of glass

no he's made of stone, c'mon

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eric the Mauve posted:

Or, I know this sounds crazy, just hear me out here, maybe teams should still have to be cap compliant in the playoffs?

The salary cap is dumb as poo poo and the LTIR shenanigans proves it

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Arivia posted:

Glass is a stone.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Abolish the cap, keep the floor

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
The cap isn’t for parity, it’s to ensure the owners remain highly profitable and protect themselves. Sorry if you thought they all cared about an equitable hockey experience for you outside of selling you tickets/jerseys/$25 dollar craft beers.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Cap sucks poo poo. Funny that in 03-04, Forsberg and Jagr were making $11m a year. While there is a handful of players who make more than this, it is still considered a high price for players. 20 years later!

I also hate that I have to think about what players make.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It's weird for me. On one hand it saved the Rangers from themselves. Like they gave Holik that terrible contract and then the strike/cap came and forced them to at least try to draft ok.

On the other hand it's anti labor and I hate it. It needs to go or just become a guideline like other sports.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

FunOne posted:

I've been impressed with the effect that building rinks in CA, AZ, TX, FL, NC, etc has been for growing the sport since I was a kid. I grew up in Texas playing roller hockey on the street on occasion, but didn't know anything about hockey except the might ducks and catching a bit of a game here and there on TV.

Now I'm walking into open skate at the rink next to purple haired 13yr old female goalies heading in for a game. I think the future for the sport and the league looks great.

Yeah it's cool, now put teams back in Houston and San Antonio, you fuckers :mad:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i like the cap better than the alternative, but the players should get way more revenue. i don't want a Euro style system with a couple of super teams passing the title between themselves while kicking the poo poo out of everyone else. i like that Winnipeg and Buffalo could win it (in theory). and I say this as a Rangers fan. also there should be no owners and all teams should be run like the Packers.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Good soup! posted:

Yeah it's cool, now put teams back in Houston and San Antonio, you fuckers :mad:

it's a goddamn crime

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

it's a goddamn crime

I'm still stunned the league keeps playing loving games with a market like Houston lol

Rampage games were entertaining as hell and that short-lived Aeros/Rampage/Stars rivalry ruled, the gently caress is the NHL thinking with letting that poo poo disappear

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i like the cap better than the alternative, but the players should get way more revenue. i don't want a Euro style system with a couple of super teams passing the title between themselves while kicking the poo poo out of everyone else. i like that Winnipeg and Buffalo could win it (in theory). and I say this as a Rangers fan. also there should be no owners and all teams should be run like the Packers.

I, too, endorse the implementation of 50%+1 in hockey

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Arivia posted:

Jamie Benn must be made of paper

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Escape Goat posted:

Jamie Benn must be made of paper

no he's made of rice

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The cap exists to squash wages and enrich owners. Closing the LTIR loophole also hurts players wages and it's why your haven't seen any push from their side to close it.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Sports that don't have salary caps suck poo poo. Premier league literally has maybe 2-4 teams actually trying to win a championship out of 20. The top team by payroll is 233 MM pounds and the bottom is at 20MM (!!). MLB is only a bit better at $344 MM for the Mets and 60$ MM for the A's.

Why would you follow a sport where you know on opening day that not only does your team have zero shot at winning a title this year but that you have zero shot of winning a title forever until the current owner of the team dies.
The fact that the Mets suck despite three hundred forty four million dollars is amusing but the point is the Oakland A's are not worth watching.

I suppose you could make the salary floor be like 80% of whatever last year's top spending team was. But that probably wouldn't be financially sustainable for teams that aren't in New York or LA.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Imagine using the Mets as an example on no salary cap being bad? Lmao

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Imagine not find joy and laughter at the Mets and ManU eating absolute poo poo while spending unlimited money? No, it's important we protect the owners pocketbooks in their publicly funded arenas in the name of PaRiTY

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

DancingMachine posted:

Why would you follow a sport where you know on opening day that not only does your team have zero shot at winning a title this year

The Oilers and Leafs exist, my dude.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Baseball is a very different animal from European soccer because MLB is barreling toward putting half the teams in the league in the playoffs, and in baseball playoff outcomes are pretty much random, so fans of every team except the few that aren't even pretending to try can dream of a title.

Whereas in the Premier League there are no playoffs, plus the relegation system and the "Financial Fair Play" system make certain the smaller clubs stay smaller, so unless a major sheikh happens to buy your team and pour money into it for years, no team besides the Manchesters, Liverpool, and the big London teams will ever win the title apart from the once-a-century lightning strike like Leicester back 8 years ago or whatever it was.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DancingMachine posted:

Why would you follow a sport where you know on opening day that not only does your team have zero shot at winning a title this year but that you have zero shot of winning a title forever until the current owner of the team dies.

I'm already a Canucks' fan

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Jhet posted:

This is the problem with casual fans like Vegas.

They aren't casual, just new They first watched hockey 6 years ago and he hasn't hosed VGK yet. It's just not enough history.

EDIT: I poo poo you now a pile of fans were super surprised to find that hockey is awesome and asking how they missed this forever. I have a pile of friends that didn't used to watch any sports now only watch hockey. It's definitely grown here.

Cartoon Man posted:

Is anybody from the Vegas Knights going on a wild drunken spree like the Caps did? I think Oshie did a drunken keg stand on the cup and bent the gently caress out of it and they won’t let players do that anymore.

I haven't checked local news in the last couple days but I know that each nights for the first 2 nights after they won they had the cup and a pile of VGK players in a different club each night and looked like they were hitting it pretty hard. Also they all shaved. I saw a number of candids of which usually had very drunk looking fans and VGK players. And showgirls. and Tiesto. For some reason.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah, you win the Cup in Vegas and you get to party with Tiesto. It’s an NHL rule.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The hard cap isn't without its faults but I do like that it's all but impossible to buy a championship in hockey like you can in pretty much every other sport. You can't assemble a free agent NBA superteam like the Heat of the 10s. Winning a cup is more like the Warriors in that it takes careful and considered management to build a good core and then supplement it. You can't rely on just spending three times as much as anyone else and buying yourself legitimacy.

There are high profile failures of expensive teams falling short in every sport and that's usually pretty funny, but there's sadly as many examples of popular teams splashing out on a bunch of prominent free agents and buying themselves a championship. The Lakers faded into irrelevance and, rather than be forced to earn back their reputation, they just signed LeBron and traded for Davis and it worked. The Yankees employ that strategy pretty successfully once or twice a decade. It's practically the only viable way to success in soccer now, just look at City winning the treble on the strength of having unlimited money.

I can't think of the last cup winning team I thought "this management team did not earn that." Not since the lockout probably and that's pretty cool. The closest is Tampa cheating the hell out of LTIR for Kucherov, but at least he was a guy they'd drafted and developed and not a hired gun. It typically takes three to ten years for a good core to hit their stride and winn a cup. There's no basement to champs in hockey. The cap has a lot of drawbacks, but at least it makes it apparent which teams are well-managed and deserving of their success (or in the case of my team, very much the latter).

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 17, 2023

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

BitBasher posted:

They aren't casual, just new They first watched hockey 6 years ago and he hasn't hosed VGK yet. It's just not enough history.

Hey, I started watching hockey during the Misfits run, and I know enough to boo Bettman

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

tarbrush posted:

Hey, I started watching hockey during the Misfits run, and I know enough to boo Bettman

Then you know you’re not included in my sarcastic comment. Hockey fans learn quickly, but I’m not enjoying the training wheels here with Kraken fans.

I hope most people would know well enough to boo Bettman like they know to boo the zebras.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why would Vegas fans boo Bettman? The guy gift wrapped them an instant contender that quickly won a cup.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Why would Vegas fans boo Bettman? The guy gift wrapped them an instant contender that quickly won a cup.

Ah yes the Vegas entry draft team, a team widely considered instant contenders

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

ThinkTank posted:

You can acknowledge that the league has generally been kind to Vegas while still being mad for the various reffing/safety/Arizona debacles.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

WeaponX posted:

Ah yes the Vegas entry draft team, a team widely considered instant contenders

That dramatically loosened the expansion draft rules specially so Vegas wouldn't have to go through the decade of darkness that Columbus, Nashville and Minnesota did. It worked.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

That dramatically loosened the expansion draft rules specially so Vegas wouldn't have to go through the decade of darkness that Columbus, Nashville and Minnesota did. It worked.

The expansion draft didn’t lead to a decade of darkness in Minnesota. It could have been a lot better, but they still managed some good hockey, a reasonable amount of playoff appearances, and sell out crowds for almost a decade straight. Plus a conference finals appearance in 2003 (where they played like poo poo).

Columbus should have a bone to pick maybe.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Didn't somebody pull a bunch of quotes from the expansion draft thread showing a bunch of super-genius hockey fans saying that the team was poo poo?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Mr. Kite posted:

Didn't somebody pull a bunch of quotes from the expansion draft thread showing a bunch of super-genius hockey fans saying that the team was poo poo?

Literally everyone including the media and the analytics guys etc, literally everyone, thought Vegas looked god awful and left a ton of good players and value on the table at the expansion draft. Realistically they probably did, even if they turned out ok. And yes I'm one of those quotes lol

Seattle did the same and ended up good. It's more of an indictment of how bad and unambitious the rest of the leagues management teams are imo

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I need to go back and read who people thought Vegas should have taken.

The Kraken one was interesting where they had five or six picks who they straight up cut before the season, which just seems insane. But can distract you from all the stuff they got right.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

tarbrush posted:

I need to go back and read who people thought Vegas should have taken.

The Kraken one was interesting where they had five or six picks who they straight up cut before the season, which just seems insane. But can distract you from all the stuff they got right.

I still maintain that they only got it half right from the expansion draft. They left a lot of holes, let a lot of player capital disappear without return, and then had to fill holes in year 2 without much to trade. They traded as much as they had left in year 1, but it wasn’t much.

They’re doing to be riding Vince Dunn in the first pairing for a while I expect, and his positional defensive play is driving me up the wall. Francis clearly wants to do this via drafting talent, but they’re going to find that the 2nd half of the first round isn’t as fun as the first half.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I think the key difference is the panic draft picks that Vegas managed to extort and the Kraken, through no fault of their own, couldn't.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

DancingMachine posted:

Sports that don't have salary caps suck poo poo. Premier league literally has maybe 2-4 teams actually trying to win a championship out of 20. The top team by payroll is 233 MM pounds and the bottom is at 20MM (!!). MLB is only a bit better at $344 MM for the Mets and 60$ MM for the A's.

The fact that the Mets suck despite three hundred forty four million dollars is amusing but the point is the Oakland A's are not worth watching.

I suppose you could make the salary floor be like 80% of whatever last year's top spending team was. But that probably wouldn't be financially sustainable for teams that aren't in New York or LA.

Leicester City won the prem like 6 years ago. I don't think your point works the way you're thinking it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

McCann pulling a 40 goal season out of his rear end is doing a huge job of making them not look like they flubbed it as hard as they did.
Maybe I'm entirely wrong and he'll end up being their William Karlsson but I think it's more likely that team overperformed like crazy last season and they're due for some harsh regression.