Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Leicester City won the prem like 6 years ago. I don't think your point works the way you're thinking it does.

And because they did lost all their best players (except Jamie Vardy lol) to better clubs and just got relegated. Football's economic system punished them heavily for a fairytale season rather than let them build on it (also their owner died in a helicopter crash in their stadium's parking lot that didn't help either).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

The hard cap isn't without its faults but I do like that it's all but impossible to buy a championship in hockey like you can in pretty much every other sport. You can't assemble a free agent NBA superteam like the Heat of the 10s. Winning a cup is more like the Warriors in that it takes careful and considered management to build a good core and then supplement it. You can't rely on just spending three times as much as anyone else and buying yourself legitimacy.

There are high profile failures of expensive teams falling short in every sport and that's usually pretty funny, but there's sadly as many examples of popular teams splashing out on a bunch of prominent free agents and buying themselves a championship. The Lakers faded into irrelevance and, rather than be forced to earn back their reputation, they just signed LeBron and traded for Davis and it worked. The Yankees employ that strategy pretty successfully once or twice a decade. It's practically the only viable way to success in soccer now, just look at City winning the treble on the strength of having unlimited money.

I can't think of the last cup winning team I thought "this management team did not earn that." Not since the lockout probably and that's pretty cool. The closest is Tampa cheating the hell out of LTIR for Kucherov, but at least he was a guy they'd drafted and developed and not a hired gun. It typically takes three to ten years for a good core to hit their stride and winn a cup. There's no basement to champs in hockey. The cap has a lot of drawbacks, but at least it makes it apparent which teams are well-managed and deserving of their success (or in the case of my team, very much the latter).

Free agency pre cap was kinda funny though. Watching the Rangers sign every washed up star ruled. Detroit having a team win a cup with like nine hall of famers not so much though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
In modern times getting to start with a completely squeaky clean cap sheet is at least as big an advantage as the more generous expansion draft rules.

Also Vegas and Seattle have both been benefiting from friendly officiating. Which is shocking because it's smart business to do that and since when has Bettman done anything smart

e:

Ginette Reno posted:

Free agency pre cap was kinda funny though. Watching the Rangers sign every washed up star ruled. Detroit having a team win a cup with like nine hall of famers not so much though.

The 2002 Wings had nine yeah. It'll be ten when Datsyuk goes in, he was a rookie on that team. Literally half their 20-man team.

e2: I guess Datsyuk probably won't go in, his career was shorter than I remember and he never led the league in anything except plus-minus in 2008.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 17, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Watching my childhood hero Paul Kariya sign with the hated Avalanche for $1m so he could join Selanne and cheat to a cup while the Canucks signed Magnus Arvedson instead sure sucked. The cap fixed that sorta.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

tarbrush posted:

I think the key difference is the panic draft picks that Vegas managed to extort and the Kraken, through no fault of their own, couldn't.

Philly paid Arizona to take Gostisbehere they day after the draft.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

tarbrush posted:

I need to go back and read who people thought Vegas should have taken.

The Kraken one was interesting where they had five or six picks who they straight up cut before the season, which just seems insane. But can distract you from all the stuff they got right.

i still think the right plan for a new team is to just avoid money. if you can get a good player on a reasonable contract sure go for it but if your choice is max domi or selecting and then cutting whatever a gavin bayreuther is then you should go for gavin bayreuther. you can get way better value from the 5m of cap space you'd be giving up if you take domi

looking back at seattle their only real misses were pitlick over bunting from arizona, doonskoi over compher from colorado (altho i think there was some consideration in this one? not sure) and driedger over montour from florida. everything else was pretty inconsequential

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Leicester City won the prem like 6 years ago. I don't think your point works the way you're thinking it does.

England going back 10 years
Manchester City FC
Manchester City FC
Manchester City FC
Liverpool FC
Manchester City FC
Manchester City FC
Chelsea FC
Leicester City FC
Chelsea FC
Manchester City FC

Spain
FC Barcelona
Real Madrid CF
Club Atlético de Madrid
Real Madrid CF
FC Barcelona
FC Barcelona
Real Madrid CF
FC Barcelona
FC Barcelona
Club Atlético de Madrid

Netherlands
Feyenoord Rotterdam
AFC Ajax
AFC Ajax
n/a
AFC Ajax
PSV Eindhoven
Feyenoord Rotterdam
PSV Eindhoven
PSV Eindhoven
AFC Ajax

Italy
S.S.C Napoli
AC Milan
FC Internazionale Milano
Juventus FC
Juventus FC
Juventus FC
Juventus FC
Juventus FC
Juventus FC
Juventus FC

Germany
FC Bayern München
FC Bayern München
FC Bayern München
FC Bayern München
FC Bayern München
FC Bayern München
FC Bayern München
FC Bayern München
FC Bayern München
FC Bayern München

And in medium-sized countries there is often no competition

Austria
FC Red Bull Salzburg
FC Red Bull Salzburg
FC Red Bull Salzburg
FC Red Bull Salzburg
FC Red Bull Salzburg
FC Red Bull Salzburg
FC Red Bull Salzburg
FC Red Bull Salzburg
FC Red Bull Salzburg
FC Red Bull Salzburg

Bulgaria
PFC Ludogorets Razgrad
PFC Ludogorets Razgrad
PFC Ludogorets Razgrad
PFC Ludogorets Razgrad
PFC Ludogorets Razgrad
PFC Ludogorets Razgrad
PFC Ludogorets Razgrad
PFC Ludogorets Razgrad
PFC Ludogorets Razgrad
PFC Ludogorets Razgrad

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Eric the Mauve posted:

In modern times getting to start with a completely squeaky clean cap sheet is at least as big an advantage as the more generous expansion draft rules.

Also Vegas and Seattle have both been benefiting from friendly officiating. Which is shocking because it's smart business to do that and since when has Bettman done anything smart

e:

The 2002 Wings had nine yeah. It'll be ten when Datsyuk goes in, he was a rookie on that team. Literally half their 20-man team.

e2: I guess Datsyuk probably won't go in, his career was shorter than I remember and he never led the league in anything except plus-minus in 2008.

i would bet a large amount of money he will make the hall, very likely on the first ballot

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That was largely a fluke and they just got relegated.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

https://twitter.com/jessegranger_/status/1670291642115559425?s=46&t=QDcaS84hWNl_beuPjXOh5Q

This is pretty loving sweet

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
William Karlsson rules

https://twitter.com/loganreever/status/1670291494803247108?s=20

https://twitter.com/loganreever/status/1670299165463810048?s=20

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That lady is probably a handler or something but c’mon you don’t try and grab the Mike from someone when he’s giving a speech at a cup parade. BAD FORM.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Is there a transcript of that anywhere?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Arivia posted:

That lady is probably a handler or something but c’mon you don’t try and grab the Mike from someone when he’s giving a speech at a cup parade. BAD FORM.

a random reddit comment suggests she's the president of the VGK foundation, though of course accuracy not guaranteed

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Holy poo poo that rules lol

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Not sure if this is the right thread to post in but the Calder Cup is going to game 7 on Wednesday. Coachella Valley in their first year in the league have a chance to win it on home ice. I will be at the game and I am very excited

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
edit: nm

Szechwan fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 20, 2023

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

a neat cape posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in but the Calder Cup is going to game 7 on Wednesday. Coachella Valley in their first year in the league have a chance to win it on home ice. I will be at the game and I am very excited

that's awesome, hope you guys win. when the phantoms won in 2005, the crowd was insane, so a game 7 is going to be awesome no matter what

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/sdpnsports/status/1671239062156345346?t=PYWWMo9K4a8vAxXf86UG-Q&s=19

Lol Leafs?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Reading the prepared lines: aren't the leafs great?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lol Leafs.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
So he's Chief Keefe?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Keefe's fine, no? Who's better on the market? Quenneville?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Almost anyone

Keefe is very bad

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
He's 166-71-30. I know that's influenced by the talent around him, but that seems generally pretty good. If he wasn't in Toronto and won some playoff series I think he'd be looked at favourably.

(Just want to point out I'm not trying to be contrary, just curious. Been reading too many internet arguments lately.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah Bylsma had a great record with a star studded team but he was also a bad coach. Sometimes bad coaches get lucky enough to coach a super talented team for a while. But he is not really good at any aspect of coaching an NHL team.

I don't mean to be TOO hard on the guy--doubtless he's a far better hockey coach than I am, and I am a better coach than Mike Johnston was. But that the Leafs keep bringing him back year after year and acting like getting the same result year after year is a total fluke is kind of amazing.

Like Bylsma before him, when the Leafs finally fire him he'll go to some weak team and vindicate me by spectacularly crashing and burning. In fact it will probably be the Penguins.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 21, 2023

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Keefe's fine, no? Who's better on the market? Quenneville?

Yeah he's somewhere between adequate and good as a coach but a whole lot of people have gone Simmons-brained the past few years so of course he's gotta be the demon holding them back.

e: the corollary to this is that he's not so good the team should be going out of their way to keep him, but it's not any great crime that he's still coach.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah he's somewhere between adequate and good as a coach but a whole lot of people have gone Simmons-brained the past few years so of course he's gotta be the demon holding them back.

e: the corollary to this is that he's not so good the team should be going out of their way to keep him, but it's not any great crime that he's still coach.

Yeah, he's a whatever coach. There's like 5 coaches good enough to make a difference, 20 coaches that don't matter and 5 that suck.

If you believe stuff you read about the Leafs online, they've had one of the best records in the league while simultaneously having a) a lovely coach, b) a GM that doesn't know what he's doing (who inherited a roster from a senile dude that didn't know what he was doing) and c) a roster that consists of 1 good player, 1 washed up star, 1 overrated winger that can't shoot, 1 floaty winger that should be traded for peanuts, the worst defenceman in the league, the worst goalies in the league and 13 other guys that are 4th line/3rd pairing fillers.

Which would of course, make the Leafs the luckiest team in the history of the league.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Sheldon Keefe has a worst playoff record than Randy Carlyle. Significantly better regular season win % but like.....that roster could probably play itself to 2nd or 3rd in the division. So yeah. Keefe is bad because he's easily out coached and out adjusted by Paul Maurice.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm driving the Keefe Sucks bandwagon with the pedal to the metal over here, but I do feel the need to point out that the Panthers only outshot the Leafs once in the 5 game series. Then the Hurricanes became the first team ever to mostly dominate play while being swept. The Panthers' run was 97% Bob running like god.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Who else can bring you that level of handshake line respect?

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

pseudodragon posted:

Yeah, he's a whatever coach. There's like 5 coaches good enough to make a difference, 20 coaches that don't matter and 5 that suck.

Who would be those five good enough? I'm guessing Brind'Amour and Cassidy, but I also don't know why Cassidy lost the room in Boston. Maybe DeBoer? But he seems to do well for a couple of years and then fizzle. I like Boudreau as a person, he's a sweetie, but I don't think he's the best coach.

I know the league is shifting from screamy jerks like Torts to friendlier teacher/mentors which is a good thing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Is Torts' coaching style with his players really "screamy jerk?" He's a contemptuous bastard to the media and other coaches but that's not the same thing. He'll freeze you the gently caress out if you don't lay down and block shots for him, but that again is not the same thing as screaming at you and belittling you.

On the other side, Sullivan seems to be highly respected by his players (the ones he doesn't send to the doghouse anyway) but he was definitely prone to screaming at people (refs or players) his first couple years in Pittsburgh. He's mellowed out a lot since then. Whether that's causally related to the Pens' decline in success or just a coincidence is up to you.

(After years of Bylsma and then Johnston a coach willing to verbally rip your head off is exactly what the Penguins needed at that time)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 22, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is Torts' coaching style with his players really "screamy jerk?" He's a contemptuous bastard to the media and other coaches but that's not the same thing. He'll freeze you the gently caress out if you don't lay down and block shots for him, but that again is not the same thing as screaming at you and belittling you.

On the other side, Sullivan seems to be highly respected by his players (the ones he doesn't send to the doghouse anyway) but he was definitely prone to screaming at people (refs or players) his first couple years in Pittsburgh. He's mellowed out a lot since then. Whether that's causally related to the Pens' decline in success or just a coincidence is up to you.

(After years of Bylsma and then Johnston a coach willing to verbally rip your head off is exactly what the Penguins needed at that time)

Other than his dumb poo poo like how he handled Provorov and his refusal to wear a gay pride warm up jersey (a big flaw to be clear), Torts has been decent in Philly. Most poo poo has reason behind it, basic principles , discipline, etc. He didn’t even overplay Vets just for grit or whatever.

Torts has a shelf life, and he has obvious blind spots, but decent NHL coach yes.

He’ll sometimes quip on player stuff, but he has been fairly good about not blatantly talking poo poo about players to the media.

This is a low bar.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sullivan's main thing used to be yelling at the bench whenever they gave refs poo poo because he was all about just playing the game and not getting distracted but he's since dropped that and now he's the one yelling at the refs usually.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Game 7 of the Calder Cup Finals is going to Overtime.

gently caress My rear end

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Congrats ThinkTank on getting your wish. Go Birds.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

:smith:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

go bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pungry posted:

Congrats ThinkTank on getting your wish. Go Birds.

Hershey won it doesn't count