Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

many of my closest compatriots have told me that the Leafs have what it takes to Win the Big One. I, for one, will wait until they go up 1-0 in game 1 to declare them heirs to the throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
The leafs picked, maybe the shittiest time to go all in, I mean, why not pick during the time cheating was allowed (2004), Covid cup (2020), or when salary cap didn’t exist (2021). Lmao.

Anyway, even if the lightning don’t beat them, the fan base will mostly die of alcohol poisoning form the first round parade.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Wonderllama posted:

The leafs picked, maybe the shittiest time to go all in, I mean, why not pick during the time cheating was allowed (2004), Covid cup (2020), or when salary cap didn’t exist (2021). Lmao.

Anyway, even if the lightning don’t beat them, the fan base will mostly die of alcohol poisoning form the first round parade.

This is the least confident in the Lightning I've ever seen you be. What're you so worried about?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

fermun posted:

Even worse is living in pacific but wanting to watch an eastern team. You can always show up tired and hung over to work, but getting off work early?

No game should start before 9pm EDT

9pm Eastern is the perfect time to start. I can have a normal evening then go wild for 3 hours and still get 7 hours sleep.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
we're all kings today

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, for the record I enjoy posting the Athletic stats stuff, but I def don’t take it super seriously or think it’s like, super accurate.

I do rate him as top 10 at playing defense in the league, and his numbers have backed it up for the last 3-4 years. Spurgeon is really good at positioning. He plays less on the PP this year so his point totals is less, but he's still put up a respectable number of assists. Really happy to have him locked up for long term.

Karlsson is very good offensively, but defensively he's not super. This year he got worse in 'on ice goals against/60' which was up to 4.0 as opposed to the 3.3ish over the last 4 years. His on ice goals for is fantastic though at 4.3 oiGF/60 That's a net of 0.3 GF/60 when he's on the ice. Compare that to Makar's 4.3 for to 2.8 against. It's night and day defensively. Makar is still clearly the better defensive player, but he didn't score 100 points, so it'll go to Karlsson. Adam Fox's numbers are just behind Makar's. Both of their Corsi/Fenwick numbers are also superior to Karlsson's as well.

E: I don't feel right making an argument for an Avs player to win awards. He's still deserving.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Moneypuck has Canada represented by both teams in the Finals as a 4.9% chance, represented by at least one team as a 46.7% chance, and a 24.6% chance of hoisting the cup. I suppose this also means that the remaining 75.4% chance of a non-Canadian team winning means that at least a Canadian player will be on the winning team, so there's that at least.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 15, 2023

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Can't believe Pavelski's finally going to hoist the cup.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Wonderllama posted:

Look at this nerd who doesn't remember the Ron Francis and Brian Leetch trades.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Broadcast information completed for the first four games of all series.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Mr. Fish posted:

God willing we get a Battle of New York in the second round. Please offer prayers to Shesty and Sorokie

That happens is if the top four except Toronto fall in round 1

Do you want Toronto to succeed?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
What? There's no re-seeding. If the Isles beat the Canes and Rags beat the Devils, there's a battle of New York

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Island Nation posted:

That happens is if the top four except Toronto fall in round 1

Do you want Toronto to succeed?

please, do not post as if 1-8 reseeding still exists, it makes me sad

(nothing Toronto does affects NY teams)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fawning deference posted:

These are such interesting brackets though. Is there a predictions thread up yet?

I think the Islanders could potentially upset the Canes with Barzal back. I also think the Jets could Hellebuyck Vegas.

what's the word on Barzal anyway
Seems like whatever has hosed his leg up is probably still loving it up at least a little bit and he was just sitting out as long as he theoretically could

maybe gonna be one of those dope yourself up for the post-season and then get extensive surgery in the summer situations

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

please, do not post as if 1-8 reseeding still exists, it makes me sad

(nothing Toronto does affects NY teams)

Crud, forgot they dropped it. Still, Torontum delenda est

Then the Rangers

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
lmao, the Avs official twitter account posted about how JT Compher is the 7th best in the NHL in faceoff win percentage at 48.8%, for players that took at least 1500 faceoff draws. Unrelated, did you know that only 7 players in the NHL took 1500 or more faceoff draws this year?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

fermun posted:

lmao, the Avs official twitter account posted about how JT Compher is the 7th best in the NHL in faceoff win percentage at 48.8%, for players that took at least 1500 faceoff draws. Unrelated, did you know that only 7 players in the NHL took 1500 or more faceoff draws this year?

That's amazing hahaha

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jhet posted:

I do rate him as top 10 at playing defense in the league, and his numbers have backed it up for the last 3-4 years. Spurgeon is really good at positioning. He plays less on the PP this year so his point totals is less, but he's still put up a respectable number of assists. Really happy to have him locked up for long term.

Karlsson is very good offensively, but defensively he's not super. This year he got worse in 'on ice goals against/60' which was up to 4.0 as opposed to the 3.3ish over the last 4 years. His on ice goals for is fantastic though at 4.3 oiGF/60 That's a net of 0.3 GF/60 when he's on the ice. Compare that to Makar's 4.3 for to 2.8 against. It's night and day defensively. Makar is still clearly the better defensive player, but he didn't score 100 points, so it'll go to Karlsson. Adam Fox's numbers are just behind Makar's. Both of their Corsi/Fenwick numbers are also superior to Karlsson's as well.

E: I don't feel right making an argument for an Avs player to win awards. He's still deserving.
Makar missed a lot of time this year, which is why he's unlikely to win this year. I also think those numbers are rate stats that don't really account for time missed.

Having an award for defensive defensemen would probably produce some unsatisfying results when you consider who the writers would actually vote for. Like I don't think that's an award Spurgeon wins given that he's small, plays on an average defensive team and just isn't a big enough name to be on their radar. The Selke is really dependent on offensive numbers and some nebulous reputational aspects itself.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Any playoff prediction thread or no ?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Any playoff prediction thread or no ?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029844

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Makar missed a lot of time this year, which is why he's unlikely to win this year. I also think those numbers are rate stats that don't really account for time missed.

Having an award for defensive defensemen would probably produce some unsatisfying results when you consider who the writers would actually vote for. Like I don't think that's an award Spurgeon wins given that he's small, plays on an average defensive team and just isn't a big enough name to be on their radar. The Selke is really dependent on offensive numbers and some nebulous reputational aspects itself.

Yeah, those are rate stats per 60. It's not particularly easy to find defensive stats that mean a ton. So much of the game is focused on the offensive stats that I'm hoping we start getting a few better metrics in the next couple years. The rate stats aren't terrible and give at least a baseline to compare better than just a +/-.

You're right about the Selke being in the same boat. Koivu was right there with for a number of years with similar numbers (and better in 2016-17 if I remember right), but small market compared to Boston and LA. I don't like to complain too much, but it does mess with perception when the media has their darlings and stumps for them for a decade. Why yes, I might be talking about Pierre McGuire. It sort of hangs around in the NHL power rankings too. Most of the voters there cover your big east coast teams heavily. Minnesota can rip off 16 games with a 14-0-2 record and they won't rate them higher than 8-10. Doesn't matter if they beat half the teams above them on that list either.

It does mean that I'll make sure to watch a handful of games for all the teams in a season if I can manage it. So I sat through some really mediocre games this year because the bottom fell out really far, but it's also helpful to figure out just how much the complaining about the <insert non-playoff team here> is just complaining and how much is fairly accurate critique.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Once again the Panthers hopes are kinda relying on a 2nd goalie lacking experience and a Defense they just refuse to invest any real money in (and Ekblad’s performance has fallen off a cliff).

But on the upside, we’re celebrating just making the drat playoffs this year and I just hope they take some underdog spirit to make it a fun series, maybe win a game or two, and just irritate the living gently caress out of the Bruins and give ‘em a little scare before inevitably bowing out.

Please fix the D this off-season (they will do no such thing).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/Samaold1/status/1646549024776781826

Nemec scored again tonight too. He started somewhat slow (given his crazy production in the Slovak league), but has had an awesome second half. His total points would look even more impressive if he wasn't behind Walsh on the PP. Just a great first season and he'll likely be the frontrunner for that last RD spot next year.

In playoffs news it doesn't look to me like Luke Hughes or Schmid will be dressed for game one, which is what I expected. Luke not being dressed I'm fine with tbh, Bahl has been excellent over the past month-month and a half and he would be the one to sit. Blackwood over Schmid I just don't like at all. Vanecek has earned the start but Schmid was 8+ above expected (Blackwood ended up at -.9 after that dreadful last game) and was particularly excellent as a relief goalie (which is a real thing given the Devils ability to come back from big deficits).

Ruff did say in his post practice interview today that "they have 3 goalies", so clearly he's considering Schmid as an option, so at least he's not locked in on Blackwood as backup I guess.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
go Islanders, I don't know anything about them really but they have Pageau and that's all I need.

also gently caress the bruins.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
who are the old men looking to win a cup finally, I saw Pavelski up there,

and my favorite player of all time could technically win one as whatever the gently caress Jason Spezza does for the leafs writing in that notebook (loving nerd!) but lol leafs thats not happening.

e: 11 players hitting 100+ points is pretty good.

Hirez fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 16, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Evan Rodrigues , 1st line winger.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

blackwood as the backup over schmid is an absolutely indefensible decision and it's very possible it will cost NJ the series

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

like I get lindy is too old to believe in GSAx but come the gently caress on

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Versus Jared McCann... 40 goal scorer?!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hirez posted:

who are the old men looking to win a cup finally, I saw Pavelski up there,

and my favorite player of all time could technically win one as whatever the gently caress Jason Spezza does for the leafs writing in that notebook (loving nerd!) but lol leafs thats not happening.

e: 11 players hitting 100+ points is pretty good.

The ones without a Cup and on teams in the playoffs?

Pavelski, Giordano, Burns, Suter and Parise

Might be more guys but those are the ones that I can think of.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mark Messier Leadership Award winner Nick Foligno does not yet have a cup.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I still can't believe that trade

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Wheeler is 36. Regardless of what happens this year he'll probably be bought out or traded for a loss and spend the rest of his career chasing cups

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wheeler is also an unfathomably huge rear end in a top hat so... Burns or Pavelski I guess? Are they cool outside the rink?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Duckman2008 posted:

personally, I'm more surprised Lars Eller is on the third line and poor Alex Newhook is on the fourth. But, that's why Bednar is a Stanley Cup winning coach and I post on these dead gay forums

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

secret volcano lair posted:

blackwood as the backup over schmid is an absolutely indefensible decision and it's very possible it will cost NJ the series

It hasn't been 100% confirmed but it sure looks like it's trending that way based on practice. I'm not sure the Devils can survive Vanecek getting pulled against a good team like the Rangers anyway, but Schmid certainly gives them a better chance. It also potentially means that they'd go to Blackwood over Schmid in the next game if Vanecek has a stinker which just seems crazy.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Wheeler is also an unfathomably huge rear end in a top hat so... Burns or Pavelski I guess? Are they cool outside the rink?

Burns is a massive police/military night supporter. But he also rescues animals and supports shelters. So mixed bag.

Pavelski I dont know anything about other than his team mates have never once had a bad thing to say about him. Probably just a genuinely nice dude like Luongo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Pavelski was calling his shots at the All Star game in Vegas when they had him shooting at the huge board of cards and he was cool for that reason alone.

Also, he had a cat named after him during the 2016 run.