Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/nathangraviteh/status/1647479061805924359?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Wondering where this guy got his numbers from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Burns is a massive police/military night supporter. But he also rescues animals and supports shelters. So mixed bag.

Pavelski I dont know anything about other than his team mates have never once had a bad thing to say about him. Probably just a genuinely nice dude like Luongo.

Honestly, "this person supports groups that actively murder marginalized groups, but they're okay with saving animals so it's a mixed bag" is not a great take.

Animal rescue and shelters are massively important, but equalizing that with the idea that it's equivalent to supporting groups that actively harm marginalized people is maybe something I would recommend reflecting on.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
That’s a super good point and true, but every time it comes up on athletes and ethics, it’s a downward spiral because the majority of NHL hockey players have horrible opinions.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

That’s a super good point and true, but every time it comes up on athletes and ethics, it’s a downward spiral because the majority of NHL hockey players have horrible opinions.

this is why it's best to have hockey players like Sid whose opinions top out at "gotta get out there and put some pucks on the net"

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

gonna need to see which side's World War 2 memorabilia Sid has in his basement before i come to a final conclusion on that one

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy poo poo I totally forgot Phil Kessel is on Vegas.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aye Doc posted:

gonna need to see which side's World War 2 memorabilia Sid has in his basement before i come to a final conclusion on that one

Searing Exarch

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

This is also very true.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
totally agree that you should take NHL players/teams' opinions into account when deciding who to root for. that is a consistent and longstanding opinion that I have, and just for the thread's knowledge:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Holy poo poo I totally forgot Phil Kessel is on Vegas.

14/22//36 worst full season of his career. I think he forgot, too.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Propaganda Hour posted:

Yeah, he's just not been good. Shame, but at least he got the streak

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

How is it adjusted for playing time? I can’t imagine he’s getting the same #1 line setup as he did in Arizona.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Leafs lines looking as expected

https://twitter.com/koshtorontosun/status/1647629738159009793?s=20

I’d prefer to swap Marner and Nylander cause Bunting/Matthews/Marner was actually worse than when Willy was up there this year and that line got basically cancelled out by Tampa exactly one year ago, feels like going back to the well based on comfort over results.

Also having both Schenn and Holl in the starting D is an abomination, Tampa can just chip the puck into the right corner and the Leafs will get hemmed 2/3rds of the time which seems bad. Unfortunately Liljegren got sad about Sandin and Engvall going and played like poo poo down the stretch so this has been telegraphed for a while.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Got my tickets to Game 4 at UBS. Very excited to see my first playoff game in live attendance! Can't wait to experience Long Island crowds acting even louder and stupider than ever.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Mr. Fish posted:

Got my tickets to Game 4 at UBS. Very excited to see my first playoff game in live attendance! Can't wait to experience Long Island crowds acting even louder and stupider than ever.

Just make sure to be your best loudmouth LI rear end in a top hat. It makes it more fun.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

kill me now posted:

Just make sure to be your best loudmouth LI rear end in a top hat. It makes it more fun.

I'M MY BEST LOUDMOUF LAWN GUYLAND ASSHOUW EVERY DAY O' DA FUCKIN WEEK PAL. NEW YOAHK FREAKEN ISLANDUHS.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

Honestly, "this person supports groups that actively murder marginalized groups, but they're okay with saving animals so it's a mixed bag" is not a great take.

Animal rescue and shelters are massively important, but equalizing that with the idea that it's equivalent to supporting groups that actively harm marginalized people is maybe something I would recommend reflecting on.

Erhh and are you still a fan of Ovechkin?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

fermun posted:

lmao, the Avs official twitter account posted about how JT Compher is the 7th best in the NHL in faceoff win percentage at 48.8%, for players that took at least 1500 faceoff draws. Unrelated, did you know that only 7 players in the NHL took 1500 or more faceoff draws this year?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'd kill like... a million animals if it guaranteed Burns doesn't win a cup.

Not just the ones people dislike either, I'd throw some good ones in there like parrots and otters.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 16, 2023

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Arivia posted:

How is it adjusted for playing time? I can’t imagine he’s getting the same #1 line setup as he did in Arizona.

Last season in Arizona, his ATOI was 16:41. In Vegas, it's 12:49.

I hope he signs one more year somewhere to hit 1000 points, but I have a feeling that this may be his last season.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Did the social media guy utterly fail math and/or statistics?

Part of me thinks this has to be an elaborate prank.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 16, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BitBasher posted:

They're doing the thing that most media people do and cherry pick stats that make their team look extra good.

Also, lols at the idea that a social media person took stats.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BitBasher posted:

It was discussed earlier, the "ranked 7th in the NHL" was among players with over 1500 face-offs this season, of which there are only 7.

using it as a good example is tongue in cheek

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jhet posted:

They're doing the thing that most media people do and cherry pick stats that make their team look extra good.

Also, lols at the idea that a social media person took stats.

They're just having fun with it. You wouldn't cherry-pick a 48.8 to look good.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

They're just having fun with it. You wouldn't cherry-pick a 48.8 to look good.

I wouldn't. You wouldn't.

But have you seen the poo poo people post on social media? It's hard for me to write that off as a joke unless the rest of the tweet is also cherry picking ridiculous stats. Which I can't, because it's included in an article for nhl.com full of stats https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/colorado-avalanche-2022-23-regular-season-by-the-numbers/c-343575520

quote:

48.8 FOW%
J.T. Compher was exceptional in the faceoff circle this season, where the centerman ranked seventh in the entirety of the NHL in faceoff wins with a percentage of 48.8%. Compher took a grand total of 1,665 draws, won 813 of them and lost 852 of them.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

totally agree that you should take NHL players/teams' opinions into account when deciding who to root for. that is a consistent and longstanding opinion that I have, and just for the thread's knowledge:

touche but consider

didn't know these existed but i definitely knew "messier trump" was going to give me some results

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Mark Messier looked disgusting--nipples protruding--in his blue shirt before Congress. Very very disrespectful.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's back when he was just a comical crook business man.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

and Messier looked like a comic-book crook business man

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, and the other guy went on to be the president

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

secret volcano lair posted:

touche but consider

didn't know these existed but i definitely knew "messier trump" was going to give me some results

look at this absolute dipshit on the right, doesn't know how to hold a hockey stick

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

secret volcano lair posted:

clearly a fake photo, no one associated with our team would ever be associated with anyone unseemly:

”The New York Post posted:

In the weeks to come, the city’s chattering classes will be consumed with handicapping who’ll be editor-in-chief of New York magazine after Henry Kravis and Primedia get through selling it.

Nobody was talking officially last week, pending a deal as final bids arrived Thursday. The consensus is the highest offer is for about $55 million – coming from a motley team of millionaires and billionaires around Mort Zuckerman.

The coalition includes: Zuckerman, the owner of the Daily News and U.S. News & World Report; billionaire financier Nelson Peltz; mysterious money manager Jeffrey Epstein; ad executive Donny Deutsch, Miramax co-chairman Harvey Weinstein; and non-cash contributors Michael Wolff of New York magazine and possibly Jim Dolan, CEO of Cablevision.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Who should I watch tonight, I’m guessing CAR/NYI should be more entertaining than the upcoming Boston beatdown?

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

https://twitter.com/koshtorontosun/status/1647629738159009793?t=1smT2vHVnmgRkN6nNu4dAA&s=19

My only concern is the second pair defense but hell, it's playoffs time :hellyeah:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It is time. For Lol Leafs.

Edit: low hanging fruit but still lol

“The vibes in a handshake line can only go so far.”

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 17, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Cartoon Man posted:

Who should I watch tonight, I’m guessing CAR/NYI should be more entertaining than the upcoming Boston beatdown?

Haven't watched either one of those teams play this year, I take it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I usually don’t watch anything else till the caps lose out for the season.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I am ready to playoff post, where do I say the derogatory things about the hot dish and the Prince singer, is it still here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Good playoffs morning, fuckers

It's Maple Leaf Domination Time (when they start tomorrow but today counts)