Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I feel like Toronto traded a whole bunch of assets to improve their defense and actually didn’t improve it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I haven’t followed the before and after, but supposedly McCabe was a good pickup ?

McCabe seems fine but if Liljegren is on the bench, Sandin is gone, and Luke Schenn is in the lineup did they really improve?

It also seemed weird that they didn't get a better forward or two. Their problem hasn't been defense in the playoffs it's been scoring. I'm looking at their bottom 6 right now and I don't know who is going to score. Sam Lafferty? Noel Acciari?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Whose brain is Trouba injuring tonight

Going to go off the board a bit and go with Vanecek.

Chris Kreider will nod sagely from the bench.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

It's fun to look at the Leafs now and laugh at them because for like 30 years I was the fan of the team that wilted every postseason.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Is there even a COVID protocol any more? Or is it treated like any other illness and you can just play through it if you're physically able to?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I kind of dig the boldness of going to a rested MAF instead of riding Gustavsson into the ground.

Might not work out but at least it’s novel.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Boston really needs Bergeron back to help defend against the Tkachuk line because that line really looks like it is dominating. Even in Game 1 I thought Boston was kind of lucky to get a win, it could easily be 2-0 FLA.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/daverandorf/status/1649179500150677505?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

Lightning are winning tonight for sure

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah the Devils now remind me of the 2008 Capitals when they were dominant during the regular season under Boudreau but seemed a bit overwhelmed in the postseason when they played the Flyers who had more postseason experience and controlled most of the series.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don’t know if it’s reflected in the data for the entire season but I feel like Carolina and Brind’Amour are experts at working the refs. Those were some laughable missed calls and I feel like every time I watch the Caps play Carolina they get away with murder.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Nurse suspended 1 game. It's Brett Kulak time

Nurse suspended and Pietrangelo about to be suspended.

Talk about a win/win for the Oilers!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I want Florida to win and go to the finals so I can drive the 4 hours or so and watch some SCF games for like $50 in person.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Why is Game 6 of VGK vs EDM at 10 pm tomorrow? That’s crazy given that there are no other games on the schedule and it’s a weekend.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Maybe it’s just me but having 2 of the best and most exciting players in the world play from 10:20 pm until 1 am on the east coast on a Sunday night is bad business. Just make the game at 8 pm eastern.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

HookShot posted:

So people going to the game don’t have time to do anything after work except go straight to the arena?

Believe it or not the east coast is not the be all end all of the universe.

It’s Sunday tomorrow.

Also they always make the games at like 8 or 9 pm EST for the conference finals and SCF. Even for west coast games. They should do it for this game too.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/thedankingerski/status/1657900667649028096?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

lol ESPN doesn’t give a poo poo about hockey

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I’m pretty sure Seattle is the funniest possible Cup winner now.

Dave Hakstol with the same dead-eyed serial killer look on his face as he hoists the Cup

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

This is one of JFresh's dumb positions to hold. The NHL being bad at business is one of the things that contributes to the many lockouts that are incredibly impactful to the fan experience. Yes it's dumb that fans have to care about the business side of the sport, but the league has made it abundantly clear that they have no problem making their dollars and cents our problem.

On the other hand the 2012 lockout was preceded by 5 Stanley Cup Finals with teams in pretty popular TV markets and intriguing matchups:

DET vs PIT x2
PHI vs CHI
VAN vs BOS
LA vs NYR

I kind of doubt the matchups themselves drive revenue in any real way.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

In order:

1. Seattle - lot of ex Caps
2. Florida - Tkachuk is cool
3. Dallas - Pavelski
4. Vegas - don’t like them much but Stone, Eichel, and Stephenson are cool
5. Carolina - I respect that they play balls to the wall at all times but I hate their coach and I hate Jordan Staal from his days in Pittsburgh

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

That's a lot of numbers to say "we are rating these as effectively equivalent to a coin flip which gives us an easy out if we're wrong."

To be fair isn't a coin flip a pretty decent model for playoff hockey?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I will forever love Stepan for this goal.

https://youtu.be/YSCC3gwHhPU

Hey gently caress you

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

It's one of the sport's most wonderful facts that one of its least likeable players managed to lose three consecutive championship series with three different teams.

It would have been even better had he not won the Cup in 2007 though.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Crosby sucked poo poo against the Capitals in 2016 and the only reason they advanced was because the HBK line shredded Washington.

Not saying that alone should have gotten Kessel the Conn Smythe but it is a point in his favor.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

2016 was the most disheartened I felt as a Caps fan because even when Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie, and Carlson outplayed Crosby and Malkin they still lost in 6.

2017 oddly enough didn’t sting me as much despite Pittsburgh being weaker than the prior year. Ovechkin was playing hurt after Kadri took out his knee in Round 1 and it was his worst postseason to date so the loss felt more warranted I guess.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Saw this on my feed this morning:

https://twitter.com/kevinmichie/status/1661903412357656580?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

Nothing particularly funny it’s just neat seeing Tie Domi and f’ing Mike Tyson talking hockey with Ric Flair in the background.

Also does Carolina ever get Ric Flair to cut promos for them?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

The gently caress, this doesn't start til Saturday?

I kind of like the break. The playoffs are already a grind, I think the teams that make the finals deserve a few day break to rest up

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I feel like Florida has a bit of a 2018 Capitals vibe to them. Much worse regular season team than the year before, a lot of questions about the team and the coaching staff, no real momentum entering the playoffs. And then all of a sudden they start stringing together wins including big upsets over the best team in the conference and finally end up playing the Golden Knights in the final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

go bears