Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ah so it's hotbrain

:rip:

Huh, it's been 10 years since the renowned Dr. Carlyle made his landmark finding in concussion science.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/grange-on-nhl-leafs-underselling-lupul-injury/?ref=pensionplanpuppets.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

I also think the intent of the high stick is very important. The entire point of the rule is so that players don't swing at pucks mid-air and accidentally McSorley-on-Brashear someone. But yesterday Vilardi lifted it in the air to get it around Ekholm.

Intent on high sticks shouldn't matter. First safety rule as a 5 year old is sticks down, anything bad that happens when you raise your stick is your own fault and no one should get the benefit of the doubt.

But in general, I think all replays should just be like 45 seconds max, with like 1 live speed view at the different camera angles available. After that, the ipad turns off automatically and if you can't see anything from that, call on the ice stands because it clearly wasn't obvious enough. You'll miss a call here and there, but people are still debating calls anyways even if they are taking 20 minutes so it's not like the extra time is actually helping.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Speaking of suspensions, how does Bunting draw back in for the Leafs? Keefe's already said Knies isn't coming out and he might have taken the Zach Hyman Memorial aggressive forechecking third wheel spot that Keefe likes.

I'd ride with
Jarnkrok-Auston-Willy
Knies-JT-Marner
Bunting-ROR-Kerf
ZAR/Lafferty-Kampf-Accari

Swapping Bunting-Jarnkrok would make a pretty darn good shutdown line, but I don't want to see Bunting getting big minutes...

Is there any justification for keeping Bunting out in favour of ZAR/Lafferty? Laff hasn't looked great and ZAR is just whatever. Non-dumbass Bunting is the better player, but is he totally broken?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Oh no, you aren't doing this. It ain't over until it's over. I do believe the Leafs look like a much better team than they have in year's past, but even if they go up 5-0 in Game 5, I am still going to be waiting until the final horn goes.

DBG's reaction to the game sums it up. https://theathletic.com/4448094/2023/04/25/maple-leafs-lightning-playoff-miracle?source=user-shared-article

quote:

Q: So the Leafs didn’t just pull off a major comeback, but… it was 4-1?

A: Yes it was, just like in 2013, as more than a few people have pointed out. Well, not just like 2013, because that collapse in Boston came in Game 7 and ended the series. This one isn’t over yet.

Q: Not technically, but… it’s over, right?

A: I mean this very sincerely and respectfully: Shut up.

Q: Come on, nobody comes back from a collapse like this. The Lightning gave the Leafs their two best punches, lost twice in overtime, and now they look exhausted and defeated. The Leafs have this wrapped up.

A: As Wendel as my witness, I will end you.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Would a Nurse jersey make it better or worse?

Why would Kings fans spit on someone wearing the jersey of their best player in the series?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Didn't think about it before, but a bad thing about NHL playoffs being actually National broadcasts instead of Raps/Jays playoffs being home productions broadcast nationally is that we aren't going to get cool team specific, full out cheerleading hype vids like the Saukrates Raptor vids.

The classic HNIC video packages are cool, but it's not the same as going "gently caress yeah, go <Team>!"

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

the hurricanes tried it last year with the rangers, yes

The first time I remember a team trying was the Sens during the Sundin-Alfie Battle of Ontario era.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

https://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/1653068310890651652?s=20

I guess this means the Leafs are starting the series with Holl in the press box.

Is seeing Knies on the top line and not thinking twice about it the most important development/lineup move for the Leafs playoff chances? Thanks for being a dumbass, Bunts.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kale posted:

I kind of hope for Knies sake the Leafs Nation crowd doesn't force insane crazy expectations on him in the Florida series and going into next season. I think he was really noticeable and competed hard as hell during the first round, but didn't really find him as super amazing in terms of results at the end of the play as a lot of other people I know seemed too. His best shift of the entire series in terms of sheer results was probably the Game 6 overtime winner assist though. Like the kid competes loving hard for sure though.

The expectations for a Keefe Third-Wheel on the Matthews-Nylander/Marner line aren't too high. The role just needs a guy to play hard, get the puck in the corners, throw it to one of the other guys and screen the goalie while they gently caress around and do their crazy poo poo. He's got the compete level down and he's big enough to win the puck battles. He just needs to do that and he'll be fine. If he can bang in a rebound and hit an open net because the other team forgets he's on the ice, that's everything they need from him.

Like Bunting was completely serviceable in the role for a year and a half and he was a guy off the scrap heap with the right skill set.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Now I really want Leafs-Oilers with the normal Leafs in Western Canada attendance.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Nothing changed in the rules. Seattle just started with a much worse GM, and other GMs around the league not wanting to be embarrassed again.

Yeah, both teams basically got to pick the 11th best skater/2nd goalie from teams. But a lot of GMs for Vegas were dumb and thought poo poo like "we like our 11th skater. How about we give you a 1st round pick if you take our 14th best guy instead?"

Then when Seattle rolled around teams didn't make as many stupid panic deals and just let Seattle take their guy.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They're the 2 oldest players on the roster and are notable players who might not play again.

Yeah, handoff order seemed normal. DGB did a whole thing where he watched like 20 years of cup handoffs to figure out the order and it was basically 1st 5 after the Captain were sorted in order of age, regardless of playing time with OGWACs getting the boost over multiple time winners and after that it was basically random.

And if there's any fanbases that have a case for not booing Bettman it's Vegas and Seattle for getting them teams and Arizona for being the only reason in the world they still exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah he's somewhere between adequate and good as a coach but a whole lot of people have gone Simmons-brained the past few years so of course he's gotta be the demon holding them back.

e: the corollary to this is that he's not so good the team should be going out of their way to keep him, but it's not any great crime that he's still coach.

Yeah, he's a whatever coach. There's like 5 coaches good enough to make a difference, 20 coaches that don't matter and 5 that suck.

If you believe stuff you read about the Leafs online, they've had one of the best records in the league while simultaneously having a) a lovely coach, b) a GM that doesn't know what he's doing (who inherited a roster from a senile dude that didn't know what he was doing) and c) a roster that consists of 1 good player, 1 washed up star, 1 overrated winger that can't shoot, 1 floaty winger that should be traded for peanuts, the worst defenceman in the league, the worst goalies in the league and 13 other guys that are 4th line/3rd pairing fillers.

Which would of course, make the Leafs the luckiest team in the history of the league.