Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

RC Cola posted:

My dumb wife is making me go watch the Avs game on Tuesday instead of playing in my own hockey game. I need some pity please and thank you. I'm suffering

condolences. i'll never forget playing in a game during the wings-avs series in 08. i forget which game it was but it seemed like every time i came back to the bench someone told me franzen had scored again lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1648815723416891395?s=20
wow. more than i thought itd be

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
can we please stop talking about the penguins.

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/1649178974080122880?s=20

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
just 4 more years of bob at $10 mil

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

deoju posted:

Imagine being so butt hurt about hockey that you spit on a child.

What the gently caress is wrong with them?

theres a % of people who take sports way too seriously. every year in the MLB there are at least 9-10 instances of grown men sprinting to take baseballs launched into the stands away from children

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
way back in 2009 when the wings were still good, i was walking out of joe louis arena with some friends, one of whom was a massive michigan fan despite not having gone to the school. He started jawing with some ohio state fan nearby(they were both wearing school colors to a wings game??) and it turned into a full on brawl.
i didn't get home until 2 hours later than i thought because i had to give statements to the police.
like wtf people

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
the wings split starts between osgood and hasek in the 08 regular season. they chose hasek as the #1 going into round 1 versus nashville. he was fine in the first two games but got lit up in 3 and 4.
so with the series tied 2-2 babcock went to osgood. iirc he made some comment about how usually if you switch a goalie in the middle of a round you are hosed. osgood proceeded to have his best ever playoffs and the wings won the cup.
this has been red wings history

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
leafs oilers for an all canada final, lets go

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
with the bruins looking shaky and the cats being coached by paul maurice i feel like the leafs have a really good shot at making it to the conference final.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
how many teams have even won a cup in the post lockout era without a top 5 pick on the team?
i know detroit did it but that was absurd luck with datsyuk and zetterberg

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

One of my favorite weird NHL facts is that all cup winners since the 2001 Avs have had a top 3 draft pick on their team

god, i forgot brad stuart was picked 3rd overall

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
do we all owe paul maurice an apology

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
how am i just now learning that Akira schmid is named after the creator of dragon ball z and his brother is named Krilin
what a world

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's not necessarily a NHL scheduling thing, sometimes it's an arena scheduling thing. Generally speaking, arenas host a lot of other things besides just sports, and not every team owns it's own arena. Teams/arenas will try to keep certain dates open in case they make the playoffs, and they're certainly probably one of the highest priority tenants for many of these arenas, but there's always the chance that stuff has already been booked in advance. That's it.

I think it depends on how big the competing event is as well maybe? Janet Jackson had a concert at the atlanta hawks arena that was pushed forward a day because the Hawks staved off elimination last week

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i think most of the "this is the year" chat stems from the fact that the bounces actually finally seemed to go Toronto's way in the tampa series
That and the best team in the league was no longer in their way

Canes/Cats ECF is gonna be sick

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Lessail posted:

espn sure would be mad if the best two players in the sport continued winning. they'd be incensed. furious.

espn cares about the american audience because thats where the channel is broadcast. the playoffs are already a disaster for them; at this point the best bet for them is probably stars-vegas and florida-carolina.

TNT i'm sure is thrilled that their first final has so little juice

personally i think McDavid in the final would be Cool and Good, though

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
so, about this paul maurice fellow....

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

codo27 posted:

^^ you love to see toronto dunked on but Gudas should be expelled permanently. Just a total nuisance

I believe the old quote is, "You hated Scotty Bowman 364 days a year. The other day was when you picked up your Stanley Cup bonus cheque"

i remember one of the wings championship VHS tapes- i think it was the 97 one- and they had Larionov on talking about how Scotty is actually great and he's sad that no one gets to see the fun side of him.

Now, that hits a bit different after hearing that his daughter's were driven to eating disorders by his insane parenting expectations.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
even if hes yelling directly in his face to make him feel bad, who cares, its sports, its funny and awesome.
and if and when the leafs beat him they should do similar.
its fun

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

The Dirty Burger posted:

Both expansion teams being in the WCF would be cool, and I’d love to see Dave Hakstol win the cup just because I read a 14 paragraph post on here about how he sucks

dave hakstol vs paul maurice in the finals would legitimately be hilarious

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

kalensc posted:

Was Jordan also an rear end in a top hat regarding the Pride jersey?

marc and eric posted this message as from them but it had jordan front and center

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
the athletic had a general "panthers from awful franchise to competent again piece" which had some funny bits but this took the cake:

quote:

There were sweetheart sponsorship deals that included ridiculous clauses, like building a pool at a sponsor’s home. Jordan Zimmerman, a minority owner at the time, had his name put on all 8,689 seats in the lower bowl as part of a marketing deal for his eponymous advertising company. It was supposed to be a one-year deal. A dozen years later, his name’s still on every seat.

“He basically said, ‘What are they going to do, tear up the seats after a year?’” said one former Panthers executive.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
so... is bob a hall of fame goalie if he wins the cup?
I always forget that he has those two vezinas. the only other goalie with multiple vezina trophies(modern criteria) and a cup who is not in the HOF is Tim Thomas

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/McCartyDangles/status/1660141989449416705?s=20

ok i am now officially a matthew Tkachuk fan

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Koopa Kid posted:

Am I getting got here or did you not notice that all the stuff about Yzerman is in a different font and not actually real

no, im just the idiot who fell for it
cant even trust twitter these days, who knew!

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
in the most recent player poll, T-Mobile arena got enough votes from players to finish 5th in "best ice in the NHL".
i thought that was weird

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
jamie benn sure does love cross checking people in vulnerable positions huh
(this is me grousing about him ending larkin's season in '21 by cross checking him in the neck)

get hosed!

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
So Maurice coached the canes in the finals in 2002. thats a 21 year gap between finals appearances for him. is that the longest by a head coach?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

ThinkTank posted:

Man I didn't realize the Canes had been swept in the Conference Finals 3 times in a row. Twelve straight losses.

i am in fact still bitter about that 09 sweep, because the NHL decided to move the finals up after the wings dispatched Chicago in 5 and the Pens swept the canes.
wings were horribly beat up from the ducks series still and the full week off would have done wonders(datsyuk didnt even play till game 5 of the finals)
it was absolutely the right business move, a week between the conference finals and the finals would be dumb, but ugh

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
forget whether Bob is a HoF goalie if he wins the cup
do we need to start talking about if Paul Maurice deserves to be in if he wins?
my article,...

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Exactly which 'destiny teams' have won the Cup? I'm not sure what you even mean by that. The 2012 Kings? Yes they were 8th in the West but they were also the hottest team in the league going into the playoffs (and the best team if you believed the fancystats). 2016 Penguins? See 2012 Kings. I don't even know who else you'd even be thinking of tbh.

If 'destiny team' means a mediocre team with good health and a scorching hot goalie, those teams have always lost in the Finals. Doesn't mean the Panthers have to lose, but if they win, they'll be the first.

montreal in '93?
i was 4 so i have no recollection but the way that run seems to get mythologized ...

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
where were all the "call the rule book as its written refs" people when vegas had too many men with the whole bench jumping off to celebrate with like 12 seconds left?

rigged league

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

sweet thursday posted:

Am I allowed to compare their ratings to the NHL then?

well, ESPN puts their finals broadcasts on ABC, so its difficult to compare a TNT broadcast of the nhl finals to the ESPN version.
i believe the NBA finals are generally on over the air networks as well

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I'm going to go with the top 3 being soccer, soccer, and another soccer. Followed by idk NFL, then uh NBA?, MLB, and maybe hockey? Is F1 probably has some weird accounting going on. Probably forgetting some other random things.

per wikipedia its NFL, MLB,NBA, premier League, NHL, la liga, bundesliga as the top 6

american capitalism truly is a wonder

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Something I've noticed with people who aren't into it: when I bring someone to a local junior game they have a blast. But on tv, it seems I (and everyone here) have developed an accurate understanding of where the off screen players probably are and can follow the play easily. And the newer fans don't have that and get confused.

yeah, this is part of it for sure. if you grow up watching the game you have an intuitive idea of where the puck is just based on how the players are moving and reacting. your eyes arent looking for the puck per say, just where it supposed to be, and its usually there. new folks tend to try to watch the actual puck itself and that doesnt really work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Eric the Mauve posted:

In modern times getting to start with a completely squeaky clean cap sheet is at least as big an advantage as the more generous expansion draft rules.

Also Vegas and Seattle have both been benefiting from friendly officiating. Which is shocking because it's smart business to do that and since when has Bettman done anything smart

e:

The 2002 Wings had nine yeah. It'll be ten when Datsyuk goes in, he was a rookie on that team. Literally half their 20-man team.

e2: I guess Datsyuk probably won't go in, his career was shorter than I remember and he never led the league in anything except plus-minus in 2008.

i would bet a large amount of money he will make the hall, very likely on the first ballot