Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Wonderllama posted:

The leafs picked, maybe the shittiest time to go all in, I mean, why not pick during the time cheating was allowed (2004), Covid cup (2020), or when salary cap didn’t exist (2021). Lmao.

Anyway, even if the lightning don’t beat them, the fan base will mostly die of alcohol poisoning form the first round parade.

This is the least confident in the Lightning I've ever seen you be. What're you so worried about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

T-Bone posted:

e: Also Barkov has looked terrible so far for Florida. I wonder if he's hurt? They need way more from him

He's had nagging injuries all over his body the whole year and has never looked right. He's only been playing because the Panthers needed him desperately down the stretch. I'm sure some news report after the year is over will come out where he'll need surgery and 6+ months to heal due to some injury between his hand and lower-body injuries.

But as you saw, the Panthers were able to prevail in game 2 in large part due to Bennett's return. This team is so much better when it has all 4 of its centers, including Barkov.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
A ton of credit to the Bruins for completely shutting down the Panthers until garbage time. That said, holy loving poo poo please fire Paul Maurice right now. How do you coach a team to that performance against a team missing their 1C and 2C? I'm not expecting the Panthers to win every game 3-1 while driving 5 on 5 play to the extent they did in game 2, but they looked dead in the water after the first five minutes and Maurice did absolutely nothing to respond to it. Except to pull Lyon for no good reason. Ekblad being out for any time is a real death knell with how bad the defense is with him.

I also really wonder if Lyon is getting taken out for game 4. He's given up two truly awful goals but I can't really blame him in this game with how lovely the rest of the team was.

Regardless, the Bruins showed why they should win the cup this year. What a dominant performance without Bergeron and Krejci.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Eh look at the team lineup compared to last year. We’re frankly shocked we made it in this year and all our hopes were already set for next year.

Fun game for a loss, got to see the Tkachuk/Ullmark stuff at that end live so hey. Felt like we got referee’d a chunk at the beginning that killed the momentum, but it’s Luxmore and *checks notes* oh no it does turn out he’s a notorious rear end in a top hat.

I was looking at the contracts and it's going to be really tough for this team to improve since the only large contract coming off the book is Hornquist's $5.3 million. Other than that, the only contract larger than $1 mil is Gudas's $2.5 mil. Everyone else expiring is making near vet's minimum. Furthermore, Knight's contract goes from ELC to $4.5 million. There's barely any space--they might end up having to re-sign some of these veterans on minimum contracts just because there's so little room. The real hope is that the team next year is healthy. No way Duclair or Barkov should be playing right now with how invisible they've looked. And you gotta pray that Knight ends up being worth that contract as a true #1 goalie as well. It's possible, but hoo boy.

The other real hope is that next year's team doesn't have motherfucking Paul Maurice.

e: for your convenience, here's the capfriendly https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/panthers

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Powershift posted:

Kind of boring, but right now 7/8 lower seeds are either eliminated or one game away.

Colorado is the only top seed not pulling their weight.

I feel like this is downplaying how crazy these individual games have been in the first round. There's been like 15 games where a team down 2 goals comes back to at least tie, and I want to say 11 games have gone to OT? Even if the chalk ends up winning, the way they got the results has been insane.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Hand Knit posted:

Both the 06 Canes and 18 Caps made the switch in game 2.

I believe he was making a joke about the Wild switching from Filip Gustavsson to MAF after the 2OT game 1 in the Wild-Stars series, and how "great" that worked out for them. But yeah, not a whole lot of examples of teams going far switching goaltenders--maybe that's because it's a forbidden coaching technique that instantly loses the locker room or something like that.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
It is absolutely insane that Eberle didn't get a major, a hearing, a suspension, or even a paltry fine. What the gently caress DoPS.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Was that some meltdown over Chicago losing or something? I’m trying to remember the reference.

I don't remember which of the two series it was, but definitely in reference to the two #5 vs #12 series in the bubble playoffs that were both won by the 12 seeds. The Blackhawks beat the #5 Oilers, and the Canadiens beat the #5 Penguins. It was very funny.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Pretty rad of the refs to step in and hand a really fun series to Boston on a silver platter.

Quite frankly, this.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Wow. Can't believe the Panthers and Kraken pulled it out. Oliver "Superstar" Bjorkstrand delivers two goals in a game 7 as Grubauer shuts the door. Unbelievable.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes but it's really funny when teams with no fans do it.

Penguins fans into the loser thread, please.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Will we ever know what goaltender interference is? No. The answer is no.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
And a hearty welcome to this thread to Leafs fans.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Why aren't Leaf fans helping? Thought Canadians were supposed to be nice.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Honestly from a long term standpoint they probably would've been better off if they weren't a good team and had another high draft pick this year. Especially this year, really, with how talented the top 5-6 prospects are. Instead I think they will attempt to replicate Vegas and go all in on trying to be a playoff team now due to their unexpected success.

I understand this thinking, but Francis as GM is extremely risk-averse and prospect-hugging. At no point has he ever traded a 1st round pick. The biggest contract he's ever given out to a free agent was Grubauer's 6 year / $35,400,000. I completely agree that there is potential for him to make big splashes in FA or trades, but he has never done so, and that failure to improve on the Hurricanes for four years was what cost him his job in Carolina. He mainly bets on whatever talent he drafts to make a big impact and then doesn't do enough to compliment it.

E: Congrats to the Stars. Wouldn't hate you guys winning so that Pavs finally gets a cup, but still gotta root for the Panthers.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
With all due respect, I truly think tonight's game was the only "boring" game of this round despite the results. Every other game was a one goal game with 4 out of 5 going to OT. Sure, neither series is seeing a billion goals, but the games have been intense and the crowds have been in them. I think they've been fun! Other than game 3 of VGK-Stars tonight.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Ginette Reno posted:

Was Dennis Wideman also the Blues defenseman who infamously crashed head first into the boards/cameraman?

Or was that someone else

Carlo Colaiacovo.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Habibi posted:

Is FLA/CAR going to be the first sweep where the winning team was outshot in every game?

Nice jinx.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Mr. Fish posted:

My Stars fan buddy made this. Thought DAS would enjoy.

lmfao that owns

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
With the result's of tonight's game being a Stars win, the schedule for the SCF is set. The first game starts next Saturday.

https://twitter.com/walsha/status/1661935724520931328/photo/1

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Sure, but this series is going to kick rear end. That was 54 minutes of intensely close hockey followed by like 5 minutes of fighting. Let's see 7 with the Panthers winning 4!

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Panthers as a franchise are now 0-6 in Stanley Cup Finals games. Hope Eichel is okay, and really hope the last few games are at least close. This series has been fun for the 60~ minutes or so it's been close.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Wrong thread I know but the calls are making me pull my hair out. I cannot loving believe that "cross check" call on Gudas.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
We saw 11 penalties get called in last night's game. Will we see 11 penalties get called in the rest of this series combined?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Cartoon Man posted:

Oops, I forgot the game was tonight, let’s just check the score…

Oh lord.

Are you a Florida Panther???? XD :awesome: :lol: :laffo: :alonso: :dumbbravo: :foksmash: :lando: :smugmrgw:

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Hearing laughter from fans of teams that didn't make the SCF? Interesting.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
For those wondering why Tkachuk didn't tell his body "not today", here ya go.

https://twitter.com/DavidDwork/status/1668816220253192192

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Congrats ThinkTank on getting your wish. Go Birds.