Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jhet posted:

I do rate him as top 10 at playing defense in the league, and his numbers have backed it up for the last 3-4 years. Spurgeon is really good at positioning. He plays less on the PP this year so his point totals is less, but he's still put up a respectable number of assists. Really happy to have him locked up for long term.

Karlsson is very good offensively, but defensively he's not super. This year he got worse in 'on ice goals against/60' which was up to 4.0 as opposed to the 3.3ish over the last 4 years. His on ice goals for is fantastic though at 4.3 oiGF/60 That's a net of 0.3 GF/60 when he's on the ice. Compare that to Makar's 4.3 for to 2.8 against. It's night and day defensively. Makar is still clearly the better defensive player, but he didn't score 100 points, so it'll go to Karlsson. Adam Fox's numbers are just behind Makar's. Both of their Corsi/Fenwick numbers are also superior to Karlsson's as well.

E: I don't feel right making an argument for an Avs player to win awards. He's still deserving.
Makar missed a lot of time this year, which is why he's unlikely to win this year. I also think those numbers are rate stats that don't really account for time missed.

Having an award for defensive defensemen would probably produce some unsatisfying results when you consider who the writers would actually vote for. Like I don't think that's an award Spurgeon wins given that he's small, plays on an average defensive team and just isn't a big enough name to be on their radar. The Selke is really dependent on offensive numbers and some nebulous reputational aspects itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

Okay then. Two top-10 picks. Maybe a third if its 5-10.
The Kings drafted 2nd, 4th and 5th overall in a 3 year span before their Cup runs and before that had 3 consecutive 11th overall picks.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

And how many of those players were on their Cup teams?
Well to your 'question; earlier this is a worthless discussion if you don't count the guys you trade top 5 picks for. So Doughty, Kopitar and Richards

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Are the Kings allowed to win it next year if Byfield, Clarke and Turcotte are all on the roster?

Mr. Kite posted:

Well I said Doughty and Richards earlier when we were discussing top 10 picks.

Yes, Kopitar was a smart draft pick at 11. Kings took a chance on him and it paid off.

Anything else?
Caring about the 10th pick vs 11th is moronic, it's non playoff teams separated by 1 or 2 points in the standings picking the same caliber of player. Particularly in 2005, where the draft wasn't based off an actual season that took place. The point is the Kings were bad, they accumulated a bunch of assets from being bad and used those assets to build a Cup winning team, as have most Cup winners in recent history.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Was that some meltdown over Chicago losing or something? I’m trying to remember the reference.
It was Chicago getting swept by Nashville as the #1 seed in 2017

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Pretty rad of the refs to step in and hand a really fun series to Boston on a silver platter.
They had a single extra powerplay.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

do we all owe paul maurice an apology
Why exactly?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Starsfan posted:

Is Miro Heiskanen's +6 the highest defense rating in the league? I've never seen one outside of the +3 to -3 range lol
Spurgeon was the highest at +7

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Luongo was a very easy choice, he's way up there for lots of goalie stats and was a very high level starter for close to 20 years. There just aren't many goalies who last that long.

Also hard to get on him for no individual awards when he had a year where he was 2nd in Hart voting.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
First ballot is a pretty meaningless distinction for the HHOF (and really anything besides baseball) and the bar isn't "generational talent". The Sedins were also part of the skipped Covid year for the HHOF so they did actually have to wait 4 years instead of 3 so who knows if they should even count.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Habibi posted:

Is FLA/CAR going to be the first sweep where the winning team was outshot in every game?
Detroit/Anaheim in 2003, probably quite a few others

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't have anything against them as a team but none of their star players really jump out to me as guys I'm excited to finally win it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Have both conference finals ever ended up in sweeps before
1972 and 1992

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

I just made the list. Longest Finals droughts:

Canadiens (1993; 2021 if you count the Covid years)
Stars (2000; 2020 if you count the Covid years)
Would be really stupid not to count them

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

They're putting the Stanley cup patch on the left side of the jerseys right next to the C or A to accommodate the sponsor logos and let me tell you it sucks rear end.

At that point I would just not do the Stanley Cup patch.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

God, when was the last competitive final? Blues-Bruins?
A 6 game series is competitive

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol nobody ever said that, they said the LEAFS can't win with you as the leader Phil ole boy!
They absolutely did say that you couldn't have players like Kessel and win the Cup.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Aces High posted:

Kinda surprised Kessel and Quick got to skate with the cup before the players that actually did the job got to. Seriously, Hill was like the 15th guy to skate and loving Quick got handed it after the 6 OG skaters
They're the 2 oldest players on the roster and are notable players who might not play again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
You don't need a good goalie but most competing teams are going to have some decent option, most NHL goalies are capable of playing really good for ~20 games and even if they're average or worse people will say nice things about them when they win.