Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I will be on my honeymoon for Games 4+ for Devils/Rangers. In a place where the games will be on at like 2am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

These are such interesting brackets though. Is there a predictions thread up yet?

I think the Islanders could potentially upset the Canes with Barzal back. I also think the Jets could Hellebuyck Vegas.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

fermun posted:

lmao, the Avs official twitter account posted about how JT Compher is the 7th best in the NHL in faceoff win percentage at 48.8%, for players that took at least 1500 faceoff draws. Unrelated, did you know that only 7 players in the NHL took 1500 or more faceoff draws this year?

That's amazing hahaha

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

secret volcano lair posted:

I recognize that the Devils hugely outperformed expectations this year but I can't help feeling that Ruff's bizarre roster decisions and constant line shuffling have held them back. There is no way Wood should be playing over Boqvist let alone be up on the third line. I'm not convinced Ruff should be back next year if they go down in flames in round 1

Honestly, his line shuffling hasn't been that bad, the Devils have had a fairly consistent four line roll with everyone healthy relative to other teams. I think having Meier in the top six makes total sense after the Rangers played a very physical game.

Also remember, just because the lines start this way doesn't mean he won't change them back or demote Wood if he's playing like garbage, etc. He basically didn't play the 4th line in the second half of Game 1.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Calling to fire Ruff seems a little absurd to me considering their unbelievable turnaround this year.

It's 2-0, it's been embarrassing so far, but teams wake up and turn momentum in playoff series a lot. If the Devils right the ship and win Game 3 they could easily turn the tide and come back to tie the series going back to New Jersey. It's not over yet.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Any loser coach can drag a good roster to a quality regular season. Just look at Sheldon Keefe for example.

He's generally made good decisions this year, tbh. Other than his love affair with Miles Wood and giving Blackwood too long of a leash, I don't really see any problems with the personnel he's been using and the way he's been managing his players, but that's just me.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

WeaponX posted:

The Devils look shook and Lindy isn’t exactly a world beater coach but it’s more than that, the Rangers scouted them very well and their game plan is killing them. Regular season =/= postseason. They doing a good job clogging the neutral zone and eliminating the rush. I don’t think the Devils are used to the pressure they are getting right now. No space to do anything. Even Panarin and Kane are backchecking hard! When the Rangers are ceding possession, if it’s not on the rush the Devils can’t seem to do poo poo on the cycle. Lots of blocked shots and giveaways. Rangers are being patient and taking high danger chances. What’s really mind boggling is how the Devils can’t seem to do anything about Kreider.

Devils aren’t totally a one trick pony but relying on the rush in the playoffs can get you in trouble especially if it’s against an all star goalie.

I agree with all of this. NJ iced the puck so many times in Game 2, frustratingly trying to force the long transition pass. It's the reliance they have on the rush that concerned me most for the playoffs, because if you take away their ability to do that, they're a fairly mediocre team.

If they get behind your defense, good loving luck trying to contain them. But if you force them to the outside / make them dump and cycle, they're not going to generate much.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Siegenthaler back in

Bahl out, Smith stays.

Looks like Wood is rotating on the 4th line with 5 other options..Let's hope he doesn't play

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Looks like Schmid is the likely starter tonight.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yup. I know we are emotionally invested but it's odd to see such finality in the doom and gloom of SAS considering we all have experienced many playoff seasons. The fact remains that it's not a particularly uncommon thing for teams to go down in a series and then roar back. You win the netx game, flip the momentum, and go on a nice run.

This "the Oilers are garbage, it worked in the regular season but won't work in the playoffs" stuff because they're down 2-1 in a series against a solid and competitive team is insane. The Oilers are as capable as any team in the playoffs of waking up and going on a ridiculous run at any time.

Even the Devils. It's been embarrassing so far, but if they can find a way to win Game 3 and turn the momentum, it's still possible for them to tie it up and then take the series. For the record, I expected the Rangers to win from the start and don't think NJ is going to win the series, but crazier things have happened. Just ask the 2022 Pittsburgh Penguins.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Devils stuff:

-- All signs point to Schmid starting tonight
-- Siegenthaler back in, yay
-- Smith still in, Bahl out, noooo
-- Wood rotating on the 4th line with multiple other options, hopefully meaning he ain't in tonight
-- McLeod bumped to 3rd line with Meier and Mercer. I'm fine with that, he wins a ton of face-offs and that line with possession could do damage
-- I would imagine the 4th will be Bastian, Boqvist, and one of Lazar or Sharangovich

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The Dirty Burger posted:

I’m sure all 4 lines rolled really well during the regular season but why the hell is Timo Meier on the 3rd line

Actually it looks like the 4th is gonna be Wood-Lazar-Bastian. Why is Wood still in.

Meier on the third line is fine, they're just trying to spread the offense around and get a good matchip. With Nico/Bratt on one line, Jack on another, and Meier/Mercer on another, you're trying to catch weak competition for one of them.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Just caught up on the Devils game (I'm in the UK).

The playoffs sure are a thing. The Devils winning games on boring defensive hockey and great goaltending.

It's interesting that Gallant forced Ruff's hand with making the Devils get away from their game, and now Ruff has passed it back to Gallant by effectively going "okay fine, we can play this kind of game and still beat you".

Do the games open up now? What will the next in NJ be like?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The Devils rule again

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I personally don't get the hate for Ruff after the season they've had. He seems to make good decisions and the team has been incredibly resilient this year. That's at least a little bit on the coaching staff.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Call me weird but I think Ruff is going to give Vanecek Game 7. It gives him a poo poo at redemption and has a live or die by the goalie who got us here narrative. It would be the wrong move but I think that's what it'll be

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Schmid in for Game 7

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Absolutely incredible, the way this team has grown all season.

Is there a consensus on the Trouba hit? I haven't seen it.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It's cool that the Devils won a series playing amazing defense in their wins. They're covered and thought of as a run and gun offense team but it gets lost that they played excellent defensive hockey all season and are currently icing six really solid defensemen, which is why Luke Hughes isn't in the lineup yet. They also have great defense from their top six forwards -- notably, Hischier/Tatar/Bratt are elite defensively.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I don't get those ratings on the Devils. How is Hischier's defense rating so low? Same with Bratt and Tatar.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Do not try and make sense of the numbers, but for forwards the defensive rating goes from -6 to +4 and Hischier is top 5 overall.

Oh okay, gotcha. Not sure why Bratt is a 0, he seems to be very good defensively.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah that's a stupidly confusing for no reason scale

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1653786042057609218?s=20

Still Timo Time

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I guess their playoff strategy is "get killed the first two games, then we have them right where we want them" lol

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Draisaitl has 15 goals in 8 playoff games

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Seems likely that Vanecek will start again tonight, which scares me. He was shaky in Game 3 and Carolina is probably gonna play really well tonight.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1655949105527664646?s=20

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

He's not gonna go to Blackwood, I'd be absolutely stunned.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Should've gone with Blackwood

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Eh it's panicking to say Bratt might.not be worth it just because he hasn't been that effective in his first playoff series ever. He is an elite two way winger and those don't just grow on trees. If they can extend Bratt and Meier to $8.5-9m contracts, they should.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They have Hughes on a steal of a contract now sign and keep as much talent as possible. If you trade Bratt or let him walk youare worse full stop. The cap isn't an issue for them.

Hischier is also on a huge steal of a contract.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Considering pretty much no forward for the Devils has even matched their regular season output this playoffs, it's probably not fair to single out any one guy. They just seem like a young team learning the hard way that the playoffs are a different beast from November games. They'll be better next year.

Exactly this.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Mr. Fish posted:

Think they'll try and make a play for Hellebuyck?

No, they don't have $10m.of cap space to spend on him after signing Bratt and Meier.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Schmid has shown he can win a playoff round. Rangers exposed him in Game 5, he came back and shut them out twice. He was good in this round Game 1 but he was left out to dry. Game 2 he got rattled and Ruff wrongly went with Vanecek instead of letting Schmid get through it.

I think the real problem has been Vanecek, and had Schmid been in net yesterday, the game may have gone differently imo.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 10, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Also I kind of want them to let Graves walk but re-sign Severson. I know they can't afford him but man, the skating on the back end with Severson-Hughes full-time. You'd have Marino and Siegenthaler as your shutdown guys, Dougie of course, and Bahl has good promise. You can give Nemec reps too. I think that D wouldn't miss a beat.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

It's really between him and all the other forwards who might become available in the next few years who you can give 8-9MM to though. They might be able to get someone in the top 6 who sets them up better to win in the playoffs.

To say they can't win in the playoffs with Bratt because his very first playoff season as a young player hasn't been great is kind of absurd though. Bratt is a player that doesn't become available often in the league considering his age, skillset, and ability to also play very good defensively. He's a player you don't think twice about locking up while your window to win has just opened.

Same with Meier. Players like him are few and far between in the league. He's 26 and brings a lot of elements that the team desperately needs.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

I don't see any point in bringing back Graves with how well Bahl has played. If they don't think Nemec is ready they need to find someone on the right side though. I don't see Severson coming back. He's going to get paid and he has basically said he wants to play more (and he deserves to, he's not a 3rd pair d-man). He'll get his 5m-6m+ and a top 4 slot from someone.

Personally I'd try to sign a cheap RH plug who isn't a complete disaster on a short term deal and give Nemec every chance to win the job.

Yup, agreed. Smith is still signed through next year. So basically with Graves/Severson walking, the D is something like:

Hamilton-Siegenthaler
Marino-Hughes
Bahl-Nemec
Smith

I kinda think that's fine, I doubt Nemec won't be ready by the start of the season to plug a hole in the defense at least in sheltered minutes.

It's interesting though, NJ has a TON of RFA's coming up and some other choices to make on UFA's.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

There is some daylight between "they can't win the playoffs with Bratt" and "they could better use a 8-9MM contract slot in the top 6"... no?

How could they better use it? The UFA pool is a train wreck and they'd need to give up an enormous amount of future assets to trade for a player like him. Bratt is 24 and an elite two-way winger. What more could you spend that money on?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

We have no idea which players are going to become available in the next few years though. And the devils have the ammo to go get literally anyone who does.

"We have no idea". Exactly. Maybe nobody even close to Bratt becomes available via UFA and now you're 3 or 4 years into your winning window.

What are the odds a player like him becomes available who's 24 years old? It doesn't make sense to just hope and see when you already have the player you would be waiting for imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Matt Zerella posted:

I say this with zero snark, I'm over what happened, but I wouldn't use that Rangers performance vs Schmid as a benchmark at all. They repeatedly get wrecked by rookie goalies for some reason. I'm not saying Schmid is bad (his neckbeard is) but yeah take the 1st round with a grain of salt.

I'd absolutely ride with him over V and Blackwood though.

That is fair, but Schmid was really good and poised all year, so I still think he seems like he is good enough to win a playoff series with.