Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Kings going down in 5. May be 6 if Fiala comes back.

They couldn't beat Edmonton last year, and they only gotten better.

But regardless, gently caress the Oilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

mcmagic posted:

They shouldn't be able to give you a DUI if it's a loving golf cart. Pig bastard should've left him alone.
Jesus loving Christ. Someone needed to meet their quota that night.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

ThinkTank posted:

Man, that was a high stick on the Kings OT winner. Not that I'm in favor of video review of nearly irrelevant plays like that, but by how those reviews go that should've been called back.
I think there should be (or may be there is) a provision in the high stick rule that it isn't used if (a) the touch was entirely accidental and/or (b) the touch didn't really affect the play.

This situation satisfies both those stipulations. It was the most gentle of touches. If Vilardi's stick was an inch towards the glass and doesn't make contact, the puck would have fallen exactly the same way down.

I guess its one of those letter of the law vs spirit of the law type of things.

edit: similarly, they really need to get rid of replays for offsides by a fraction of an inch 20 seconds after a goal is scored.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 22, 2023

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

ThinkTank posted:

The problem is that then becomes subjective and the line between affecting and not affecting the play is slight and entirely open to interpretation.
True. But in yesterday's play, it would be way on the "not affecting" side of the line.

I also think the intent of the high stick is very important. The entire point of the rule is so that players don't swing at pucks mid-air and accidentally McSorley-on-Brashear someone. But yesterday Vilardi lifted it in the air to get it around Ekholm.

Also, the goal was 16 seconds after the stick tap. Last night I thought it was the play immediately before. Oilers had several attempts to clear the zone. What a waste of time and my nerves reviewing a play that had no affect on the goal.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
https://old.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/12uwkv4/zoomed_focused_slowed_video_of_the_puck_rotation/

You can see the puck tap the stick and push it up a little. The puck's rotation also changes.

It was the most gentle of taps. It reminds me of this joke from the Simpsons movie.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 22, 2023

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Leafs and Lightning both wearing blue and white confuses me. For that reason, the Leafs should change their colors and uniform.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

The Dirty Burger posted:

I mean, I agree Sedin should stay out of the box but there’s got to be more you can do than just eat a bunch of shots, this is a horrendous look lol

https://youtu.be/KfmX-mvm8ME
Seems like he could have just held Marchand's hand down.

There has to be a rule where if you give two punches and there's no response, each punch after that gives you a 1-game suspension. So in this case Marchand would have gotten a 2-game suspension.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
They had thier chances. Gotta hold on to 3-goal leads and late-game leads.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Oilers are really cool and play fun hockey games and anyone cheering against them hates fun and cool.
No team should be allowed to be good because they sucked for so long that they loaded up on a bunch of top-10 picks. And even then only became good once they lucked into the best player since Mario.

I know, I know, I should cry more. Fine. But it's bad for the league if the Oilers win.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

How many top 10 picks are allowed on a cup winning team? How about top 15?
2012 Kings needed only one. Two if you count Brayden Schenn (+Simmonds) becoming Mike Richards.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 30, 2023

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Also back to this nonsense, you know that the same thing you're talking about for the Oilers holds for the Avs and Penguins right? Teams being bad for a long time and stocking up on top 5 picks wasn't invented by the Oilers mismanagement.
You're right. Those teams are lame too.

quote:

You didn't answer my question at all.
When you say "allowed," do you mean legally or practically?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

You're the one who used the term "allowed to be good" so you explain it.
Okay then. Two top-10 picks. Maybe a third if its 5-10.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The Kings drafted 2nd, 4th and 5th overall in a 3 year span before their Cup runs and before that had 3 consecutive 11th overall picks.
And how many of those players were on their Cup teams?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Well to your 'question; earlier this is a worthless discussion if you don't count the guys you trade top 5 picks for. So Doughty, Kopitar and Richards
Well I said Doughty and Richards earlier when we were discussing top 10 picks.

Yes, Kopitar was a smart draft pick at 11. Kings took a chance on him and it paid off.

Anything else?

There's a big difference between:

sucking for a few year resulting in a few top-10 picks then surrounding them with trade acquisitions, FA agent signings, and deeper draft picks.

vs

sucking for a decade and having half your roster be top-10 picks

Most teams do the former; the Oilers have done the latter. I think it is fair to point that out.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 30, 2023

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I'm not the first person to point out the Oilers draft situation. Why is it taboo all-of-a-sudden?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

The point is the Kings were bad, they accumulated a bunch of assets from being bad and used those assets to build a Cup winning team, as have most Cup winners in recent history.
You are over-simplifying. The Kings were bad and got Doughty and Richards for it. The Oilers were bad and got RNH, Nurse, McDavid, Draisalt, Bouchard, Broberg.

Caring about the 10th pick vs 11th is moronic, it's non playoff teams separated by 1 or 2 points in the standings picking the same caliber of player.
You are right. There isn't much of a difference between 10 and 11. We could discuss just top 5 picks.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Ruff also won a playoff series in the 70s and 80s as a player.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Pulling for the Knights. If the Kings aren't gonna win it, at least Quick and Martinez should.

Seriously, gently caress the Oilers for not allowing a Kings/Quick handshake line. That would have been great either way.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The important thing is that no team is likely to go 16-4 this season. 2012 Kings and 2022 Avalanche still the only real Cup champs.

And remember, Kings did it with minimal top 10 picks.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I'm just kind of parodying myself from a few days ago. I forgot that hockey such serious business.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Kyle Clifford has more Stanley Cup Finals goals than McDavid and Matthews combined. Think about it.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Powershift posted:

I don't think the goalie should be allowed to leave the ice for an extra skater in those scenarios, but he should be allowed to skate up and join the play in the offensive end.
It should be the other way around. The league should ban goalies and allow for six skaters. Think of the goal-scoring.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Defense wins championships.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I would like to to congratulate our Canadian posters on their new King.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Am I stupid or would McDavid's best options be LA/Chi/NYC? Big cities with lots to do; endorsements galore; not Canada so no pressure to win.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

ThinkTank posted:

The Leafs have been operating under the impression that he is a serious possibility as a UFA in three years.
So have the other 30 NHL teams.

I'm hopeful that the Kings may have a shot. Only one major contracts signed for 2026-27, will have the need once Kopi retires, may be competitive if Byfield/Turcotte/Clarke pan out (though I don't know at this point), its LA.

If I'm the best player in two generations and I pass my prime without a Cup, I am on my way out.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 9, 2023

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Should I cheer for Dallas because Pavelski deserves to win one or cheer against Dallas because Domi is an rear end in a top hat?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Devils fans going through stage 5.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I remember last year the Kings were up in the series 3-2 with a chance to close it out in LA. Edmonton won game 6 then the series.

Go Knights. Don't blow it.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I really have no issue with the rest of the teams. I guess Dallas over Seattle for lolsouth superiority.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I am.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
At this point in the playoffs I like to see which team has the most deserving Cupless old guys and cheer for them.

Stars: Joe Pavelski and Ryan Suter
Hurricanes: Paul Stastny and Brent Burns

Vegas and the Kraken don't really have anyone. Also they are super new as franchises.

Florida doesn't have anyone either. But they have never won a Cup and has actually rarely even made the playoffs.

So its okay to cheer for the Stars and Canes for those 4 guys; and for the Panthers as a franchise.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Shame we got no real long OT games but that's only...SO FAR.
They are saving all the OTs for game 7 of the Finals. Should be fun.

There is no hockey today. Whose fault is this?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
When I began reading the tweet, I thought it was going to be about Benn being the biggest moron ever. Benn should be apologizing to Stone and to the Stars for costing them the series.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
It's genuinely hilarious.

Okay, your team is down 2 games. But you now have 2 games at home. All you have to do is win your home games.

And your team is down 1-0 in the current game. But there is 58 minutes to go. Plenty of time to get it back.

And he basically does something that costs them the series.

When you factor in the unnecessariness of it, the timing, the severity, the blatancy, the results... it might be the worst individual penalty ever taken.

Take an accidental puck over glass delay of game that decides a series. Now multiply that by 30. You have what happened yesterday.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Please talk about the 2012 Kings some more.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

ThinkTank posted:

Kinda neat that we'll have a first time cup winner this year
We had that in 2019 (Blues). And in 2018 we had what we have this year, two Cupless teams meeting (Caps/Knights). But before that you have to go to 2007 (Ducks/Sens). Before that it was 1999 (Stars/Sabres).

And 1996 was the only time (other than when the league first began) that two teams met in the finals that had never been in the Finals (Panthers/Avalanche).

The Panthers and Knights making the Finals early in their existence is impressive. But its not a story. "First Finals appearance" doesn't have quite the same ring knowing the team is only 3 years old. It only gets interesting after decades of missing.

Four teams have been around for a while but have never made the Finals. If they were to meet that would be cool.

Jets/Coyotes (1980)
Thashers/Jets (2000)
Blue Jackets (2001)
Wild (2001)

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 1, 2023

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
That is correct about the Kraken. I edited my post. I'm thinking about long-existing teams without a Finals appearance.

I guess you could also make the argument for the Leafs and Islanders, who have made the Finals in the past, but not for a long, long time.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I just made the list. Longest Finals droughts:

Leafs (1967)
Jets/Coyotes (never, 1980)
Islanders (1984)
Canadiens (1993; 2021 if you count the Covid years)
Sabres (1999)
Thashers/Jets (never, 2000)
Stars (2000; 2020 if you count the Covid years)
Blue Jackets (never, 2001)
Wild (never, 2001)
Flames (2004)
Whalers/Hurricanes (2006)
Oilers (2006)
Senators (2007)
Ducks (2007)
Red Wings (2009)
Flyers (2010)
Canucks (2011)
Devils (2012)
Rangers (2014)
Kings (2014)
Blackhawks (2015)
Sharks (2016)
Penguins (2017)
Predators (2017)
Capitals (2018)
Bruins (2019)
Blues (2019)
Lightning (2022)
Avalanche (2022)
Kraken (never, 2022)
Panthers (2023)
Knights (2023)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Other than centers, Canada is kinda weak. And you can't always put a center at wing.