Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

ThinkTank posted:

When I was seven or eight I was at a Vancouver Grizzlies game and they had this blimp thing that flew around and dropped tickets. It was a pretty empty game so there weren't many people in our section. The blimp dropped tickets directly over me and my friend and we were excited and waiting for them to fall to us. Some forty year old dude from like ten rows back booked it down the stairs and snatched them out of the air above us. He got booed by everyone around him but he kept the tickets.

And that man was Tiger Williams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Ginette Reno posted:

One of my favorite bits when good teams choke is people saying that the regular season is meaningless and it's a moronic bit because generally speaking you do have to be a top tier team to actually win the cup. Like no poo poo chokes happen, but go back and look at the cup winners over the past 10 years. The worst one in terms of overall points was St. Louis (12th overall in point percentage league-wide).

Cup winners by overall points percentage league-wide, past 10 years. Col (2nd), TB (8th), TB (4th), STL (12th), Wsh (6th), Pit (2nd), Pit (4th), Chi (7th), La (10th), Chi (1st).

The President's Trophy winner is on a bad run recently but I'm also pretty sure that that seed still wins the cup more often than any other seed historically.

I'm too lazy to do this whatsoever but this bracket would be more meaningful if it included conference finals and the SCF opponents' points standings. Making it to the conference finals is a real shot at the cup.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

SilvergunSuperman posted:

He's not the best gm but those clips are fuckin entertaining

What had happened to make him lose it?

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

mst4k posted:

I hate all these teams in the finals, especially the dallas stars. Being from SE OK the only way to watch hockey in my poo poo town in the 90s was Fox Sports unless it was playoff time and they showed every dallas stars game and I would always go for whatever team was playing against them. Ooooo OOoo it's the Dallas Stars.

I like Carolina and VGK. Been a fan of Vegas from the get go.

The only thing I don't like about the playoffs is that as the rounds finish there are fewer and fewer games with 1-2 day gaps between games and then finally maximum seven games left in the final and then no more hockey until the fall :(

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

ThinkTank posted:

Is this really what they posted?

"wearing a pride jersey i goes against" lol didn't even proof it.

"we feel that by us wearing a pride jersey"

Jesus that is some wishy washy, poorly written drivel. The first convert to Christ was a eunuch. Hockey is still so bush league

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Eric the Mauve posted:

The traditional DeBoer flameout is happening way ahead of schedule this time.

Doesn't he say that he sits back and "just let his players play" in the playoffs? I know coaches are withholding and speak to a lot of BS, but also why would he say this if there weren't a grain of truth.

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 25, 2023

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
The Cats run has been spectacular and fun to watch, but I was rooting for Carolina and Vegas from round one. I really enjoy how well Vegas is managed, I picked them as my backup after the ten billionth Canucks bad decision/season/coach/contract/trade/UFA signing/coach brawl and have never regretted it.

I have noticed a lot of hate for Vegas though in general online. Is that just because they are noob upstarts?

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Starsfan posted:

uhhh partly the fact that they were good immediately thanks to the expansion draft rules / idiocy of other GM's, partly because their management developed a reputation for being trashy in the way they dealt with some of their former players, partly because the team shed their identity as plucky underdogs and started to gain one as having poor sportsmanship in the DeBoer years.

**like the trash talking / whining for calls / being poor losers is something I definitely have associated with this team in the past, and is probably the main thing feeding into my dislike of the team. To be fair the Vegas roster has had some turnover and you don't hear about that stuff as much as you used to, so it's possible that may have receded a bit in the last couple of years.

I like them exactly because they were good immediately. Like watching Moneyball in real life but hockey.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Starsfan posted:

I'm trying to see the connection between the Oakland A's and the Vegas Golden Knights and for the life of me I can not guess what you are meaning lol

Everyone thought they (or in Billy's case he) were stupid and the team ended up being genius level good

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
The real question is whether Vegas is going to be retaliatory or simply focus on playing the game in the hopes that he stupids himself into another 5 minute major and blows the series as the captain of the theam

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah we’ve been wondering the same about the food/drink costs. During the season I tend to get the big cans of Juice Force, they’re $14 with season ticket discount but like 20 oz and 9.5% so feels like the best value somehow.

Total Wine selling them for $6 for 6z 12oz so they’re coming with me in the cooler next week.

if you're not smuggling your booze in you are doing it wrong

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
Is Toronto going to shake things up any more now with a new GM? I assume so, as he will want his own coach as per tradition. I think they need to do a trade similar to Calgary/Florida last year, star for star. I actually like Toronto, they just live in a media fishbowl and the younger stars have spent their entire careers under intense scrutiny.

I moved there in 2017 and I remember a two page spread in the lovely little newspaper they gave out on the subway that was headlined "is the cup ours to lose this year?" and I was shocked and amused at the hubris as a former Vancouverite. If you're lucky there you'll get a 32 thoughts that's 32 reasons why Vancouver won't make the playoffs again this year, and sports writers would line up to write that for free

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
The thread drama is going way over my head, I watched the game on mute because I had some work to do, and other than what seemed like Bobrovsky playing better, what did Florida do differently? And was the game actually chippy or were the refs just calling more penalties to keep things from getting spicy again?

IMO nothing would better break Florida's back than a home loss in the next game. It would be awesome to see Vegas win the cup in Vegas.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Eric the Mauve posted:

Paul Maurice teams, still keepin' it classy after all these years.

Realtalk though, it's not going to matter since the Knights are just better and Hill managed to hold onto Game 4 for them, but boy howdy did Cassidy get outcoached by Maurice last night. \

Could you expand? The last game just looked like a melee to me me with Florida redlining it with few whistles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

pseudodragon posted:

Yeah, he's a whatever coach. There's like 5 coaches good enough to make a difference, 20 coaches that don't matter and 5 that suck.

Who would be those five good enough? I'm guessing Brind'Amour and Cassidy, but I also don't know why Cassidy lost the room in Boston. Maybe DeBoer? But he seems to do well for a couple of years and then fizzle. I like Boudreau as a person, he's a sweetie, but I don't think he's the best coach.

I know the league is shifting from screamy jerks like Torts to friendlier teacher/mentors which is a good thing.