Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

blackwood as the backup over schmid is an absolutely indefensible decision and it's very possible it will cost NJ the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

like I get lindy is too old to believe in GSAx but come the gently caress on

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

totally agree that you should take NHL players/teams' opinions into account when deciding who to root for. that is a consistent and longstanding opinion that I have, and just for the thread's knowledge:

touche but consider

didn't know these existed but i definitely knew "messier trump" was going to give me some results

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

clearly a fake photo, no one associated with our team would ever be associated with anyone unseemly:

you know I was assuming that our beloved owner Josh Harris would also have direct documented ties to Epstein, but apparently he was just business partners with a guy who paid Epstein $158 million over several decades. we win this round

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

T-Bone posted:

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1649060318981627904

lmao at giving Wood MORE minutes. Meier to the top 6 is solid though I guess. Sharangovich in for Boqvist.

I recognize that the Devils hugely outperformed expectations this year but I can't help feeling that Ruff's bizarre roster decisions and constant line shuffling have held them back. There is no way Wood should be playing over Boqvist let alone be up on the third line. I'm not convinced Ruff should be back next year if they go down in flames in round 1

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

I thought Wood was one of the few guys with juice on the Devils, so that's kind of annoying. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to be on top of Igor every shift, which is honestly a bit of what the Devils need.

yeah we definitely need him to take more offensive zone penalties at the worst possible time that will help so much

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

idk man. the devils aren't this lovely a team. they won 52 games!

the rangers are not "making" them lose their heads and forget how to exit the zone, or enter the zone, or play anything that even resembles a system. they're doing it to themselves, and lindy is directly feeding into the panic by wildly throwing poo poo at the wall and giving his most meatheaded, impulsive players way too much rope. he needs to go

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

quote:

This is playoff hockey, the Rangers are definitely gameplanning and doing things that are designed to slow down the Devils and give them trouble. They're not out there just getting lucky because the Devils forgot what they're doing.

Yes, plenty of credit to the Rangers who play calm, persistent hockey, know what to expect from the Devils, and have good special teams and goaltending

But the Devils clearly have it in their head that their solution to the Rangers knowing their game is to "play playoff hockey." As in "get physical," which has mainly translated to taking a whole bunch of stupid penalties. Jack Hughes is throwing hits for some loving reason. They are not adjusting, they are straight up melting down under the pressure

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

today I am fondly remembering Lou firing Robbie Ftorek with nine games left in 2000 and the team in first place

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

it's time... let's bring him back

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

yeah, Schmid kinda stole game 3, my expectations are low

not taking blatant penalties would be great, but there's no guarantee that will be enough to keep the game mostly 5v5, there have been quite a few phantom / questionable calls

the one thing that gives me some hope is that the penalty kill didn't look completely clueless

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/ryannovo62/status/1650548652417462291

thanks mike but i think we actually have to dress luke hughes for that to work

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/hockeystatcards/status/1650677152763846657

jonas siegenthaler was a healthy scratch in game 2

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

yeah idk at least eric lindros had the puck when scott stevens murdered him

I do believe Makar *thought* the puck was in the corner, but you probably can't let a play like that slide when someone gets injured

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

schmid played 18 games in the regular season with a .922 and looked steady and calm in high pressure situations

obviously these last 3 games were outlier good but there's a reason the devils fanbase was losing their minds over the absurd ""backup controversy"" between him and mackenzie blackwood (22 gp, .893).

playing blackwood as much as we did probably cost the devils the division

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Obviously I'm happy but it's hard to count the Rangers out considering that and their multiple elimination comebacks last year.

apart from anything else shesterkin is capable of stealing 2 games, he was unbelievable in the third period yesterday

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Yeah the Devils D around their own net has been insane. Not sure if it's intentional to the goalie they're in front of, or just typical playoff amping up (I much more suspect the latter).

I feel like they played notably better in front of Schmid even in the regular season. might be coincidence, but maybe there's something psychologically helpful about having a goalie who reliably makes initial saves? lets you focus more on cutting off passes / clearing rebounds

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

regret to inform that the needle has swung back to Fire Lindy. I will not apologize if they win game 7

on another note meier and bratt both need to score a goddamn goal on Monday if they want to get those 9m contracts

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

the string of penalties in the first through the early second really did kill the devils' momentum dead. they completely dominated that first period up until then. I would not expect that many calls on Monday which should work in their favor

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1652730346763321344?t=W5f3-ofLRgOkne8ZvZhw4A&s=19

my god is that mackenzie blackwoods music

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

i am dying to see luke hughes in for graves

i will get vitek in for akira and miles wood in for boqvist

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

shoulda saved some of those wins for the playoffs suckers

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

i'm not sure who the Devils should start tomorrow. Vanecek looked like he got spooked and had confidence issues, so that's not a great recipe for game 7. Schmid has looked great, but last game was pretty rough. Seems like the Rangers think that the way to beat him is high glove--specifically the head side of high glove. He got beat a couple of times and wasn't really catching anything clean there. I would guess they still go with Schmid, but I share the feeling of "i have no idea what's going to happen". I could see either goalie winning or losing.

bringing vv in cold after the 2 games he had is a bad idea. fully expect lindy to do it.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/smclaughlin9/status/1652868023806484483?t=DnFsGj-DeoI225f_tGBA0A&s=19

wow I guess he must have sprained something flopping all over the ice every time he got bumped

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

the leafs oilers final looks incredibly plausible actually. that would be hilarious

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

happy for the kraken, fun team all year and they deserved the win after that McCann thing

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

gonna be a real letdown when njd / nyr finish this awesome round off with a 7-1 blowout one way or another

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/drosennhl/status/1653048034710749184

ominous

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

feels good man. akira bounced back beautifully.

for a 7 game series there sure were barely any competitive games.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Hall carried a weak team into the playoffs in 2018 but they lost hard in the first round

they were very bad for quite a while

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

actually more lopsided than a game they won by 7 goals:

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

it honestly feels like a fluke that he came out of it with no points, he created a lot of golden chances and shesterkin robbed him repeatedly.

hope his brain still works

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

kinda looked like shesterkin's stick caught his foot and then he got shoved from behind but we'll have to review the xInjuriesFor / xInjuriesAgainst numbers

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Luke Hughes was trending on twitter and I got excited but it's just Devils fans complaining that he's not in (so this thread).

based on the track record from last series Lindy will relent and do what twitter wants after they drop another 5-1 game tonight

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/JamesNicholsNHL/status/1654617039237963776?t=4x3KMgS6dU3BS2rFY81xqQ&s=19

in other news rumor has it brendan smith may be playing tonight

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

timo pull a pavelski please

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

No shame in going down to a good team in round 2 the first year back, but I sure hope they put up a bit more of a fight at home. This has been embarrassing to watch so far

E: I also hope they don't overreact to this and decide they need to spend 10 million dollars on Grit or something

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

honestly it could completely backfire if he makes bad decisions against the Canes forecheck, but at this point why not? it's not like Graves was making good decisions either

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

T-Bone posted:

not good how bad the Devils goaltending has been this series, but what a game by everyone else, Luke added a tonnnnnnn, he and Severson were a monster pair

Luke is just fun to watch, made a bad play or two but added more than enough to make up for it.

goalie wise I kinda think they should go back to Schmid. on the bright side the Canes goalies are clearly capable of blowing some games too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

he's had some good games this playoffs and vitek has had none, but I can see it either way