Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mark Messier Leadership Award winner Nick Foligno does not yet have a cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'd kill like... a million animals if it guaranteed Burns doesn't win a cup.

Not just the ones people dislike either, I'd throw some good ones in there like parrots and otters.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 16, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jhet posted:

They're doing the thing that most media people do and cherry pick stats that make their team look extra good.

Also, lols at the idea that a social media person took stats.

They're just having fun with it. You wouldn't cherry-pick a 48.8 to look good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's back when he was just a comical crook business man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DOOMocrat posted:

I am ready to playoff post, where do I say the derogatory things about the hot dish and the Prince singer, is it still here?

The entire state of Minnesota can gently caress off but don't you dare slander Prince.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The lead dog is regularly replaced.

source: I know a lot about dogsleds trust me

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dumba hit was lovely, dirty and predatory, but unfortunately I'm not sure any part of it was illegal except maybe the timing because the NHL doesn't care about safety.

He made significant contact with the upper arm first. Incidental head contact is allowed in the NHL.

He launched into it, but that's also allowed as long as you're not in the air on contact.

Pavelski didn't see it coming, but that's not their definition of blindside.

Timing is only a maybe because late hits are not well defined.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DancingMachine posted:

If McDavid gets taken out of a series by a hit like that is the league going to care or change anything?

Does McDavid make the other 31 owners money?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How do you tell?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McCauley shouldn’t be working Leafs games, but that was definitely a major.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Oh okay thank you all for the response. My concern was either 1) he was already seeming like a bust or 2) the seattle FO was being big dumb idiots.

Playoff hockey is fun to watch :)

It's a bit of 2, but several other replies have posted the asterisks too.

Wright not making the NHL in his rookie season is normal. Seattle's mismanagement of his playing time isn't, although it's not unheard of either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Again, head contact is legal as long as you get enough body along with it.

That's why the penalty is called "illegal check to the head", because there are legal ones.

It loving sucks but it's the rule.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aren't suspended players barred from practicing with the team?

He got a match penalty, he's already considered suspended through the hearing.

Fine them Bettman!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Another Bill posted:

Bruins coach just said Bergeron might not be back this series. I heard a rumor it's COVID, anyone else hear that?

They had him give a speech in the locker room before game 1, so probably not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s also only 92 minutes which is pretty short these days, so they can put more ads while keeping their usual gaps.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was a pretty rough one by Ullmark.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't verify this because I'm not a nerd but someone in discord said the xG was basically the same. Ullmark just stunk.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Discord always wrong. Noted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NHL playoff injury reports are always like

"He suffered a broken foot in game 3, 2 dislocated fingers, a sprained wrist, torn ligaments, and bruising. Both lungs collapsed, but through an unexplainable miracle combined together into some sort of Mega Lung, which then later also collapsed.

Sometime during game 6 his side was pierced by a quill of Sho'n'zhor, the Face of Finality that Resides in the Blackness at the Edge of Breath which is said to cause the pain of a billion deaths in an instant that lasts for an eon.

Expected to be ready for training camp."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hey gently caress off what did I ever do to you?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I personally think the vicious homophobes should not be rewarded.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mcmagic posted:

They shouldn't be able to give you a DUI if it's a loving golf cart. Pig bastard should've left him alone.

My father was killed by a drunk golf cart driver.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ah so it's hotbrain

:rip:

It didn't look like it. There was video on Twitter of him skating alone Monday. He had to stop and kneel to take a breather after a little bit of exertion.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just a bit of casual attempted murder, let 'em play.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, I don't think we've seen a previous playoffs with a Von Flue attempt so it's up there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They would still review those, they’d just have a clock running during it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

High sticking and delay of game are the only penalty in the NHL where intent doesn't matter.

I don't know if that's dumber than if they didn't or not but it's dumb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dubas looks like the guy who played Green Arrow on the CW, but in the episode where he has to run his family’s company so he’s just miserable in a suit.

That guy would probably be a better GM though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leafs media last night was torn between complaining about the injustice and praising Matthews for standing up and fighting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sedin actually got penalized there, didn’t he?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arguing with fans while in a suit is the classiest way to do it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No it isn’t!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inadvertent trips are still trips (except when they're not.) That would probably have been let go if Foligno wasn't trying to run the guy though. The ref saw him try to make a lovely hit and wanted to penalize him for something I guess.

The second again is technically interference but would be let go 99 times out of 100. They must have had enough of him by then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scott Stevens was doing what everyone else was doing back then. He was just better at it.

Therefore Makar is worse than Scott Stevens.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Until Makar comes back and McCann is still out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Which is impressive with Foligno playing like an unhinged jackass.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jhet posted:

The lesson here is sometimes plays can actually be more than one penalty. The goal is usually to call the one with the more useful progression or the more violent option. And Boarding being a physical foul versus a restraining foul with Interference could have been the better call. At the end of the day it’s both and they both have the same options for penalties available. So it doesn’t really matter as long as they call one of them for the action.

And the heading DOPS puts it under doesn't matter, because fines and suspensions are not bound by penalty type.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're brothers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They’ve been a bunch of trash rear end losers but none of Boston’s shots have been any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

holding a player down should be against the rules in hockey imo