Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tart and tautological

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
two days of yard work in a row, kayaked in the afternoon yesterday and might do so again today

yay spring

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

I prefer Wizard Master: The Ascension

:golfclap:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

two days of yard work in a row, kayaked in the afternoon yesterday and might do so again today

yay spring

My man.

How are your canoe skills by the way? Are you trained on how to roll it back over, for example?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m glad you all moved on from food discussion, I was about to get the broom out

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I’m glad you all moved on from food discussion, I was about to get the broom out

How are your canoe skills?

To the thread in general: I am looking for skilled canoeists.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I wouldn’t say I was skilled exactly but I likely won’t flip one

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I wouldn’t say I was skilled exactly but I likely won’t flip one

Can you unflip one while in the water? And get back in it?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
They let me out. But I don't know if I'm ready for life on the outside.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

Can you canoe?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I'm more of a pedal boat guy, but yes, I have noe'd extensively.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm more of a pedal boat guy, but yes, I have noe'd extensively.

Welcome back. How about running some bits by us this morning

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Welcome back. How about running some bits by us this morning

Smugs, how are your canoe skills?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I don't do bits. I do posting art.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

redshirt posted:

Smugs, how are your canoe skills?

I prefer a 'yak but I can handle a 'noe

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm calling on a dozen hard core canoeists to join me, for the heist of the century.... (it will be canoe based)

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Oh god another heist

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Smugworth posted:

Oh god another heist

Big this

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

i smell a new one-man show

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yeah but a canoe heist. How many canoe heists have you heard of, huh? That's right, zero. Till this one.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

How can you be so into heists but also into being a hardboiled detective. Aren't the two personas at odds with one another

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Smugworth posted:

How can you be so into heists but also into being a hardboiled detective. Aren't the two personas at odds with one another

Hmm, thank you for noticing.

I'd say, two sides of the coin, right?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

a bun is the hot dog’s canoe

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

redshirt posted:

My man.

How are your canoe skills by the way? Are you trained on how to roll it back over, for example?

Of course. grew up using canoes, was a cub then boy scout etc. always swore I’d never buy a kayak until everyone I canoed with died, got married or moved. then I was looking for a 12ft solo canoe, the mad river ranger, and I found my first kayak. now I own 5.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

OK here's a canoe story, I hope you enjoy:

I had just quit my big city job in a rage without any plan, and weeks later found myself living at my family's shack on a lake. I know, a blessing, I was very lucky. I lived there from early May to 10/31, there was no heat or insulation and it got real cold....

Anyways, I'm in the canoe and the water is high, overflowing this dam section. I canoe by it, and see that the stream behind the dam is raging, full flow. Hmm. I take the canoe out of the lake and put it in this stream (this is called "portaging"), and off I go down these Spring fueled rapids. Come to a beaver dam, portage. Come to another beaver dam, portage. And I keep going, miles away now and all the way "down town", which is another pond with a general store. And there my canoeing adventure ended, but now I was like 5 miles from the cabin, with a canoe, in the 90's, so no phone.

And so I commenced on one of the greatest physical acts I've ever done. I picked up the big canoe and marched directly through the woods, and for the next like 4 hours battled through the primal forest, with a giant canoe on my back. My god it was so hard, and no one saw, and it was all so stupid and pointless yet I tell you this was a monumental, epic struggle.

I emerged hours later on the other side of lake, this guy in another camp saw me and came to my aid. We drank a few beers in his camp - he was a retired firefighter from NJ and the only person on this Earth who even glimpsed what I just went through. I was cut, bleeding, destroyed...

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

redshirt posted:

OK here's a canoe story, I hope you enjoy:

I had just quit my big city job in a rage without any plan, and weeks later found myself living at my family's shack on a lake. I know, a blessing, I was very lucky. I lived there from early May to 10/31, there was no heat or insulation and it got real cold....

Anyways, I'm in the canoe and the water is high, overflowing this dam section. I canoe by it, and see that the stream behind the dam is raging, full flow. Hmm. I take the canoe out of the lake and put it in this stream (this is called "portaging"), and off I go down these Spring fueled rapids. Come to a beaver dam, portage. Come to another beaver dam, portage. And I keep going, miles away now and all the way "down town", which is another pond with a general store. And there my canoeing adventure ended, but now I was like 5 miles from the cabin, with a canoe, in the 90's, so no phone.

And so I commenced on one of the greatest physical acts I've ever done. I picked up the big canoe and marched directly through the woods, and for the next like 4 hours battled through the primal forest, with a giant canoe on my back. My god it was so hard, and no one saw, and it was all so stupid and pointless yet I tell you this was a monumental, epic struggle.

I emerged hours later on the other side of lake, this guy in another camp saw me and came to my aid. We drank a few beers in his camp - he was a retired firefighter from NJ and the only person on this Earth who even glimpsed what I just went through. I was cut, bleeding, destroyed...

that seems like an epic pain in the rear end

congrats on succeeding

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

that seems like an epic pain in the rear end

congrats on succeeding

I was an idiot of course. The smart move would have been to get a ride, or just walk back on the road and then drive back and pick up the canoe.

I tell you, there's a distinctive feeling being in the middle of the forest - no trail, no paths, no signs, just the forest - with this big rear end Old Town Canoe that weighed 100? 150? It was a big canoe. Realizing I'd made a real bad choice. It's clarifying.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
my canoe story is about my last canoe partner before I got my kayak

he was one of my roommates and we were in our mid/late 20s. we probably managed to make this journey ~30-40 times one year. tidal river, 30 pack and a quarter of weed. set out early morning, ride the tide out ~8 miles with a few places to stop and piss and rest. stop at my families dock and eat, piss and rest and then turn around and ride the incoming tide back 8 miles to where we put in. sun burnt a sun drunk and somehow drive home. then he got a girl pregnant and it all came to an end.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I have done a not insignificant amount of canoeing

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I have done a not insignificant amount of canoeing

stories?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Welcome to Canoe Chat

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

redshirt posted:

Welcome to Canoe Chat

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So I lived in this shack, no heat/no insulation, which was fine for most of the Summer, but come October 1, it was cold.

I would canoe to the far side of the lake at sunset, the last place the sun touched for the day, and try and absorb the warmth.....

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
and the second guy says, forget your flashlight. help me find my canoe and we'll paddle outta here

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I would canoe out to this tiny little island from 4 to sunset. And on this tiny little island I had this sitting spot up on a cliff, between two white pines whose roots make for a nice little flat sitting area, overlooking it all.

I would read "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" as the novels I was writing were infused with mythology/hero journey/etc and I wanted to absorb my mind in mythology, in epic magic.....

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Spring stuff: harvested and feasted upon our first rainbow chard of the season. IT'S TIME FOR FOOD YALL

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Spring stuff: harvested and feasted upon our first rainbow chard of the season. IT'S TIME FOR FOOD YALL

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Luvcow posted:

As previously stated I am a big noe'r.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Luvcow posted:

stories?

Not really. One time I flipped it and kind of cut the excursion short.

One time we were doing safety training for it in a pool and when we got back in the canoe after my practice buddy who hadn't canoed before was facing me and it didn't occur to him that something was off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I live on a dunal lake.