Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Earwicker posted:

is there some kind of context to this? like is it related to some kind of drama or internal politics in the snooker world? does the orange color have some significance? or is it just some random nut who wanted to get on tv for a second?

There's no orange ball in snooker so the colour is extra offensive to snooker audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

the gape is its own reward, just as righteous with a ball inside or nothing at all

So Kirk is renting himself out as a snooker hole now?

If so it would be an easy shot, even for me.

Dicere posted:

The event was two English people playing a game in (probably) England, with (probably) mostly English people in attendance. Maybe there was a Welshman in the stands, who knows. Like ... it's a pretty low emissions form of entertainment. Same with going to the museum to look at paintings. The message I'm getting here is that any form of leisure or enrichment is a sin so long as carbon is in the atmosphere, which comes off as a worldview of someone unwell.

I'm saying he should try that poo poo at NASCAR or The Masters.

:agreed:

Also I hope the activist's clothes didn't hypocritically include any petroleum-derived products, e.g. plastic in buttons, shoes or shoelace tips.

At least it's a less destructive protest method than vandalising great art. Those people should be locked up for years IMO.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Dicere posted:

The event was two English people playing a game in (probably) England, with (probably) mostly English people in attendance. Maybe there was a Welshman in the stands, who knows. Like ... it's a pretty low emissions form of entertainment. Same with going to the museum to look at paintings. The message I'm getting here is that any form of leisure or enrichment is a sin so long as carbon is in the atmosphere, which comes off as a worldview of someone unwell.

the just stop oil people are all about getting as much publicity as they can for their cause, from wherever they can get it. it's not anything to do with snooker per se

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Mescal posted:

When we heard that sound we thought it was another of Ronnie "the Rocket" O'Sullivan's champion farts, but no. An astonishing thing. While Robert Wilkins or Joe Perry was lining up his shot, a strange figure ran in, jumped on the table, and released an explosion of what resembled orange Gatorade powder. The Crucible Theatre erupted in boos. "Nay," they shouted, "Get away. Bunch of decent folk have come here to enjoy the game. Thank you, no."

Must have had a cause. Take a look here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiuL-1NF9gY&t=1701s

wtf is with the typeface choice on that video's image there? is that Comic Sans? gross.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

BigBadSteve posted:

So Kirk is renting himself out as a snooker hole now?

If so it would be an easy shot, even for me.

:agreed:

Also I hope the activist's clothes didn't hypocritically include any petroleum-derived products, e.g. plastic in buttons, shoes or shoelace tips.

At least it's a less destructive protest method than vandalising great art. Those people should be locked up for years IMO.

A few years ago someone hassled an airport with drones in England. It stopped all the flights for safety reasons and the search area was so wide they couldn't find the person doing it.
I'd have been very gutted if I'd booked a flight/holiday then, but I couldn't help admire the sheer impact of such a small thing and assumed the climate protestors would take it up as a new method. But they never found the person flying the drones and it's not happened since I don't think.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

mudskipp posted:

A few years ago someone hassled an airport with drones in England. It stopped all the flights for safety reasons and the search area was so wide they couldn't find the person doing it.
I'd have been very gutted if I'd booked a flight/holiday then, but I couldn't help admire the sheer impact of such a small thing and assumed the climate protestors would take it up as a new method. But they never found the person flying the drones and it's not happened since I don't think.

Well then maybe they did find them...

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Dicere posted:

They're literally funded by an oil tycoon's granddaughter lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

terrible, terrible scenes here

*orange dust cloud*

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
The idea that we can "just stop" using oil is incredibly naïve

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Honestly just stop oil at this point feels almost like like a set up with the objective of damaging public opinion of climate activists and protests.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mr Teatime posted:

Honestly just stop oil at this point feels almost like like a set up with the objective of damaging public opinion of climate activists and protests.

what's the cointel reach of a snooker tournament, in tens of millions of people

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

https://youtu.be/HnN4TUV2MZs

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

what's the cointel reach of a snooker tournament, in tens of millions of people

Look first it’s snooker but what next, darts? Horseshoe throwing? That one place where they chase a big cheese down a hill? Nothing is sacred to these people.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

there are only two kinds of climate protests: the ones that are hated and the ones that are ignored

Remember last year when a guy immolated himself in front of the US Supreme Court? Quite likely you don't because the news didn't care.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
I think that's happened a couple times in the UK recentlyish around job centres (unemployment gov services) and it was also very unreported for how significant an act it is

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
If the protestors could make really big jellies which were disruptive due to their size/location in a public place I think that'd convince people better

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

he really snookered them there haha

Why does it mean that? Why does snooker also mean "to trick"? It's not a very tricky game. "Wow, my opponent put a ball in a hole! I really didn't see that one coming. What a tricky move!"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

secretly replace all the snooker balls w/ balls that explode into colored powder before the championship game and it will be the greatest tragedy to befall the UK since WWII

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Mr Teatime posted:

Look first it’s snooker but what next, darts? Horseshoe throwing? That one place where they chase a big cheese down a hill? Nothing is sacred to these people.

A darts crowd would gently caress them up. They're a rowdy bunch, especially at the worlds.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Mr Teatime posted:

Look first it’s snooker but what next, darts?

I wanna hear Russ Bray scream about someone sabotaging a Darts tournament.

https://youtu.be/JmhENVVNDY0

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Why does it mean that? Why does snooker also mean "to trick"? It's not a very tricky game. "Wow, my opponent put a ball in a hole! I really didn't see that one coming. What a tricky move!"

when you "snooker" someone in the game, it just means you've left the cue ball in a position where your opponent can't directly hit whatever ball(s) he has to hit next, and he'll have to bank it off the sides or something to hit his target ball and avoid a foul.

so it's like leaving them in a tricky situation, you've "snookered" them.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

to "snooker" your opponent means to play a legal shot in such a way that when they have to play the next shot, the ball they have to hit is hidden behind another ball or balls, thus making it more difficult than usual for them not to foul

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

So would you say replacing all the balls with balls that explode into colored powder when they get hit would be a jolly royal snookering

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Back in the day the balls had a bad habit of exploding.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

goatface posted:

Back in the day my balls had a bad habit of exploding.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

STABASS posted:

it's pool for people with bad teeth

:hmmyes:

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

mudskipp posted:

With the christmas Heathrow disruption they aren't even sure if there was actually any drone. It was at night, confirmation bias etc.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Every stupidly formal british thing should be disrupted like this.

Their time is over, the fake posh poo poo needs to end.

They're foggy island trash and it's time to start acting like it

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Konar posted:

I hope to god protesters gently caress up the coronation so half this wretched island dies of outrage

naem
May 29, 2011

is snooker the game where you can get points for bouncing the Q ball off the walls again and again and get infinite points forever

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

naem posted:

is snooker the game where you can get points for bouncing the Q ball off the walls again and again and get infinite points forever

No it's not. hth.

naem
May 29, 2011

I saw a youtube or something once and it was balls in a diamond shape in the middle of the table, just like the triangle of balls in pool

the guy just kept hitting the q ball equivalent in bouncy shot around the other balls instead of hitting balls, into the balls

everyone acted like he was doing something really clever maybe just warming up?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

bitterandtwisted posted:

I hope to god protesters gently caress up the coronation so half this wretched island dies of outrage

:pray:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Konar posted:

snooker's not some stuffy thing for the patricians. it's cheap to play and the stars i can think of are mostly from humbler backgrounds.

for those of you unfamiliar

snooker is a 'sequence' billiard game. in such games you get the balls in a certain order. eg in 9ball, you have to hit the lowest number on the table.

the sequence balls are the 'colours' and they are numbered, though not labeled. there is a second group of balls, the reds, which are fungible and nonnumbered. the player alternates between sinking ('potting') a red ball and potting a colour. however, the sequencing does not begin until all the reds are gone. until then, you may repeatedly alternate sinking the highest-value ball and reds. The reds stay down and the colours get spotted until, again, the reds are gone.

the game begins with one player breaking the rack as gently as possible with a safety intended to disallow the opponent points.

the different character of play is largely due to how the game punishes recklessness. you've also got bigger tables, smaller balls, thinner sticks, smaller holes. the pocket bevels are rounded, which means that if balls miss they don't sit before the pocket--they ricochet unpredictably. and with the high speed of the tables it just means risky shots are much riskier.

so yes the shots are difficult to execute. but people saying it's a hard game, i don't understand that. it's a competitive game. it's only as hard as your opponent.

the game can last for minutes with a century break, which is like a break-and-run with bonus points, or they can extend interminably with exhilarating safety battles.

for those of you saying "why is this on TV in egland," you probably see a game that's as boring as pool but more confusing. that's not true. i play pool. pool is boring to watch. snooker is a great spectator sport, because it has depth of strategy, and because of that skill levels do not mean foregone conclusions. the strategy difference is about the difference between chess and turkish draughts. a snooker player could probably place high in a world pool championship but the opposite is less true.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Mescal posted:

snooker's not some stuffy thing for the patricians. it's cheap to play and the stars i can think of are mostly from humbler backgrounds.

this is very true. we used to have a snooker club in my area when i was younger. it was basically a cheap pub with a few rooms of snooker tables. good way to kill a few hours, drinking pints and playing snooker with your mates.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
it's good for dieting too

you can lose 20 pounds playing snooker with andy capp

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What the gently caress is on everyone's ears? Headphones?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're headsets to listen to the tv commentary.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Bad Purchase posted:

pretty sure i heard at least one c word from the audience

Its Northern England I’d have been more surprised if no one said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Chrs posted:

Its Northern England I’d have been more surprised if no one said it.

look at this oval office from the south of england