Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Give 'em some Bach on your cd player.

e: for actual content, anyone else remember reading Marsden's Tomorrow series? I'd be interested to hear if it got any traction outside of Australia. It had that similar setup of teenagers thrown into danger and chaos, but with a military invasion as the cause rather than a dimensional rip. (Come to think of it, a lot of Australian animorphs fans definitely would have moved on to Tomorrow and felt very familiar with the teenage guerilla drama.) Anyway, the characters always felt incredibly real in a way Everworld's characters don't. But that could just be the nostalgia talking.

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'm currently recovering from very minor surgery that required about an inch of suturing, and it turbo sucks, and this leads me to conclude that a) Mr. Swordeater would be wishing for death more or less constantly and b) the kids, upon being hung by their wrists from the cliff, really should be physically and mentally crippled for the next few hours/days/years.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Soonmot posted:

Goddamn do I feel this. At the risk of getting a bit autobiographical, after christmas 2019, I went into the hospital because I had been having chest pains. Turns out, they were heart attacks! I ended up getting a triple bypass on 1-2-2020 and between recovery from surgery and then getting furloughed from covid, I was out of work for about seven months. But thanks to those covid bucks and Illinois taking that unemployment boost, I was making more money than I had been working.

With no enforced schedule, with my bills taken care of, those few months were the most joyous of my adult life. I was healthier, stress free, my typically antisocial demeanor melted away and I longed to be with people. I had a taste of what life could be outside of capitalism and it broke me. Going back to work, and I'm a dog trainer, I love my job, is such a drain on my soul that I long for the same thing David is expressing. Yeah, that kind of life is brutal and short, but it's a life that seems to matter. My current dream is that the revolution comes in my life time, so I can die soaking up bullets meant for someone younger, meaner, and gayer than me.

But I feel both David and I are full of poo poo.

Anyways, therapy hour is over, looks like we found Senna?

Hah, I remember that first fortnight of lockdown. That feeling of my brain uncurling. The quiet. Just heaven.

Zore posted:

The specifics that he goes with though are incredibly 80s/90s and feel increasingly out of place with the world today. You can definitely tell the book was written in a certain cultural milieu that's really foreign to today when David's thoughts are mostly 'Life is too good and easy and only going to get better and have no real struggle, this sucks' as he aimlessly drifts through the real world scenes.

Yeah. it's fascinating. There was an offhand comment made in the animorphs thread that still sticks in my head- Rachael's family are "middle class 90's rich." Things have changed.
It's been interesting, too, spending years now with these forums as a window into life in the US. It's hard not to get the impression that things are really, actually, incredibly bad over there and having any kind of empathy is like putting a giant KICK ME sign on your back...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Having never read this before, my current theory is: Everworld didn't exist until Senna and friends somehow called it into being, which is why it's such a hodge podge of times and spaces, and reflects so much about our protagonists. Hi dad, I'm off to the dream world to hang out with a bunch of sailing dudes with an uncomplicated approach to masculinity.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Help, I've been sucked through a time vortex to the year 1999

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The front page is a poorly-cycling flame animation, three rotating hand grenades and an "under construction" animation.
There is a guest book, and a visitor counter w/ a highly aspirational number of digits

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
This reminds me that a highlight of Sean Bean doing the tech and wonder quotes for Civilization 6 is hearing Huitzilopoctli pronounced as hootchly o pootchly.
Not that I could do any better, obvs...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I mean, I'm not saying I want him to get eaten by a god, but

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A bright future in politics?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
For sure. An important part of growing up is remembering things you said at age 15 and then yelling AUUGGH involuntarily

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I think I'm enjoying these? It certainly doesn't have the immediate hook of Animorphs, although the setup is odd enough to warrant sticking around to see where things go.
Meanwhile, it's interesting encountering alt-universe Jake With Trauma+Hormones, and his pal, Marco w/ More Confidence and Less Empathy

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Chris' rant about movies from a couple chapters back makes a weird kind of sense. If this world is made out of Norse and Aztec myths jumbled together, why not American myths too- Hollywood?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Hang on! Vikings... aztecs.... knights... this is just age of empires 2 fanfiction.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Haha yes, with Loki and hints of Egyptians...

I hope we get some "rules" of this world established soon. The cherrypicking across one thousand years of history (while everyone speaks contemporary english, and Azetc lands are a short sail away from the icy north) gives everything a very disjointed feel. Like the "gaps" are less about authorial intent and more about the author having a very hazy mental picture of what they're writing about.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Ohh, I like this opening.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Getting some strong Shelob's Lair vibes here (are we spoilering speculation?)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The real Ka Anor is the friends we entombed along the way,

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's interesting how Chris is way more admirable from Jalil's pov than the other two mains. Or maybe he's just growing as a person!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kazzah posted:

And K.A.A. is taking us to meet K.A.

...how did I not notice that. Is it significant, I wonder?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I can't remember- have the hetwan actually done anything... bad yet? Cos devouring the likes of Hel basically makes them the good guys.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Zore posted:

They do want to get their hands on Senna presumably to open a portal to Earth so that isn't great.

Like the whole reason in the last book April got taken prisoner and David had to bring Nidhoggr in was because the Hetwan were offering enough to the Fairies that even getting them modern telegraphs wouldn't budge their decision on selling her to them. Like fundamentally they did invade Everworld and are trying to conquer it and eat some of its inhabitants before moving on to do that elsewhere.

Eating some of its bad inhabitants.
Current status: cautiously pro-Ka Anor

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Incidentally- does this series end properly? I need to know how comitted to get.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Any of you read Embassytown by China Mieville? There's some good, genuinely alien forests in that book.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Remalle posted:

Dammit, God Christopher?

Simple, just ditch the "opher"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Ah, the inverse Russian roulette

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

bird food bathtub posted:

Knew the gun was coming, didn't see the allying-with-hetwan part. Figured the coo-hatch were going to stay neutral and then be brought on to the kid's side as a last-minute heroic save.

Yeah, I felt legit dismayed to see the coo-hatch joining the wrong side.
That said, I'm still very open to the possibility that the good guys are in fact the people working to destroy Hel and friends.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
"Yeah, well, beauty is only skin-deep," Christopher cracked. The men nodded thoughtfully, as if Christopher had said something not only profound but original.

Aha, that's a fun detail. Our Vikings haven't heard that little saying before and are impressed with the minstrel's way with words.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I can't remember, what was Senna's reason for taking her sister to Everworld?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Zore posted:

Spite.

She brought David to be her hero, Jalil to help her figure Everworld out, Christopher to be a destabilizing influence so the group wouldn't bond well and April because she hates her.

Ouch. I guess these are the authors who brought us Visser Three.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
And Cleopatra is a greek name. The -ra on the end kind of threw me.
Actual history is so weird.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Anyone remember that terrible ghostwritten animorphs trip to Atlantis?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Ah, that's what it is. It feels ghostwritten. It just needs to end with clumsy pathos or- worse yet- clumsy levity to really hit poo-tier ghostwritten filler status.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That was a weirdly un-compelling book...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
And a few cases of word count padding where David would give us an overly-detailed description of something that I'm pretty sure he wouldn't care about.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
"At the top of my lungs I shouted a four-syllable word that was very popular with Eddie Murphy back when he was doing stand-up"

Ventriloquist? Antarctica? Rhinoceros?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Haha, I assumed it was a typo for four letter word.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I probably shouldn't bring real-world stuff into this, but I can't read the description of Senna's army without thinking "oh look, trump voters!"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
These chapters are short.
Were they still writing Animorphs at this point? Were they getting kind of burnt out on writing or something?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Soonmot posted:

We are three quarters through this final book wtf

Wow, this really feels like our friends at Scholastic cut them off early. They are just racing through this stuff. (I have enough memories of being the target demographic to be certain that if I'd seen that cover with the coo-hatch on it, I'd have loudly declared "nope" and moved on to a less deeply-embarrassing series.)
Was it Jalil's book where he mentions the drift that occurs between real-world and everworld minds, that they're slowly diverging? That was an interesting thread that never really got pursued.
Also, April, ewww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Oh wow, what a dire ending. Someone at Scholastic wanted that series finished yesterday, apparently.