Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I am getting more and more ads that also cover up exactly where I want to click. for referance I mostly use OperaGX because there is a little side bar that tells me when my favorite streamers are online, mainly just people who don't shout crap into the microphone. I also use firefox, but I have no ad blockers on it, i just use it for watching tv-shows because the site does not recognize Opera as a chromium browser. (Oh also Windows 10 if that matters)

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum but it made the most sense to me to ask here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
are they ads on search engines? because opera doesn't allow you to use adblockers there

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Malloc Voidstar posted:

are they ads on search engines? because opera doesn't allow you to use adblockers there

since it's based on chromium, I have used the google chrome version of ublock origin for quite some time.

E: I normally use duckduckgo rather than google, the ads are rather unobtrusive so I don't really notice. I mostly just search for mundane stuff like Wonder Woman and comic stuff. Basically everywhere else I want to go, I know the website address lol.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 20, 2023

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Much of it is because sites are getting more clever with the way they insert their ads. Luckily uBlock is very powerful and can do things at a pretty detailed level. Unfortunately it takes some work to really fine tune it and the deeper features do have a learning curve to them.

Still though it is pretty much the gold standard for browser extensions.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Yeah I moved from Adblock plus a long time ago and went to ublock origin. I honestly can not remember the real last time I was not running an ad blocker of some sort lol. My computers always tend to be stupidly old and the ads slow it down. But hey I can play Diablo II Resurrected and Warcraft III reforged, and old school arcade games on M.A.M.E. (well I only got 1 working, the old X-men arcade game). So I am mostly happy and was glad I bought the warranty because when the hard drive died in it I could not work, and well I paid for the warranty so I mailed it in to have it replaced rather than doing it myself, Then I bashed in the old hard drive with the end of a hammer for fun (I was kind of drinking at the time since I was not working) lol.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I haven't kept up with the whole chromium manifest v3 situation but I know it's being implemented this year and was going to have a serious effect on adblockers. Might have to switch to Firefox because everything else is chromium based now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I uninstalled the exrension a couple times and reinstalled it. Seems to be working again and not getting annoying youtube ads like every 5 minutes or whatever it is.

I do have firefox because I need it because my bank and cwtv.com will not recognize operagx as a regular browser. So I mostly use Opera and switch to firefox when need be.

I guess I could get Chrom but I don't want 2 chromium browsers and as far as I know for windows firefox is the only non-chromium one. Like Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Opera are all chormium. Where as FireFox is the only non-chrome one.

E: Is there a solved button, I have been reading Quora which is like the newer yahoo answers.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 23, 2023