Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

There's no way the main card starts on time at this rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

29-28 Dumont, but I could see them going 29-28 Rosa.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CarlCX posted:

29-28 Dumont, but I could see them going 29-28 Rosa.

https://twitter.com/SoozieCuzie/status/1649900061982089217

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Think we'll see much more of Yahya? I like him but 38 at bantamweight must be real rough.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I'd bet he'll be back for one more fight. They have yet to extract all value from him and this is his first loss in four fights, so it doesn't even smell that bad yet.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Not feeling these new pop music cues in the transitions.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Well they are back on schedule now

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
walking out to samurai champloo :swoon:

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

what an incredibly poor gameplan

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Pretty sure Wells' lights were completely out for a sec there

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

one of those fights that takes a few years off both the fighters, yeeesh

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
just a psa that in a bit over 4 hours a good rear end boxing match is on. the op is great and will catch you up if you don't know the fighters.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030456&pagenumber=1#lastpost

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Should be 29-28 Semelsberger but we'll see.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I agree but I got a feeling Wells is gonna take it

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

two thirty twenty seven scores for that fight, christ almighty

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Whoever this announcer is seems to think you can use your toes to grab onto the cage?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
bellator 295 prelims kicking off. come for michael c williams in a hawaiian shirt, stay for the heavyweight who lost a fight because he bit his opponent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isel-KPoi2I

LobsterMobster posted:

:siren: it's time for another B League Preview! :siren:

Bellator 295 - Saturday, April 22

Main Card - 10 PM ET, Showtime

Bantamweight Grand Prix Final - Raufeon “Supa” Stots vs Patchy “No Love” Mix

Stots is 19-1 with 4 TKO and 4 sub wins. He’s a perfect 7-0 in Bellator as part of his overall 11 fight winning streak dating back to 2017.

Mix is 17-1 with 1 TKO and 12 submission wins. He’s 6-1 in Bellator overall, with 4 straight wins.

Stots had some problems with Sabatello’s wrestling, and Mix is a far more offensively-focused grappler. If Mix can get his hands on Stots, expect Patchy to look for submissions early and often. However, as we often see with people who min-max to be excellent grapplers, the rest of their game lags far behind. If Raufeon can keep the fight standing, there’s a good chance he butchers Mix on the feet.

Flyweight - Ilima-Lei “The Iliminator” Macfarlane vs Kana Watanabe

Macfarlane is 12-2 with 2 TKO and 6 sub wins. She’s 11-2 in Bellator, winning her latest bout in August.

Watanabe is 11-1 with 3 TKO and 4 sub wins. She’s 3-1 in Bellator, winning her most recent bout by triangle last May.

Got a pair of grappley gals, should be good!

Featherweight - Aaron Pico vs James “The Alley Cat” Gonzalez

Pico is 10-4 with 7 TKO and 2 sub wins, with all of his pro bouts taking place inside the world famous Bellator Circlegon. Prior to his shoulder falling apart last October, Pico was riding a 6-fight win streak.

Gonzalez is 10-5 with 3 TKO and 2 sub wins. He’s 1-0 in Bellator, but did a brief jaunt to the PFL Challenger Series. Despite winning by first round TKO there, he isn’t in the regular PFL 2023 season. Kinda weird.

My personal vendetta against Pico has mostly subsided. He’s lost enough that I can finally view him as a fighter, and not the Special Bellator Boy who gets the easy matchups (that he doesn’t always win and I get to laugh and laugh). He’s probably going to win this one, he’s got a lot of high level experience.

Flyweight - Ray “The Tazmexican Devil” Borg vs Kyoji Horiguchi

Borg is 16-5 with 1 TKO and 6 submission wins. He’s on a 3-fight win streak since he left the UFC in 2020.

Horiguchi is 31-5 with 15 TKO and 4 sub wins. He’s 2-2 in Bellator, having dropped his two most recent bouts in the Circlegon, but he bounced back with another pair of wins in Rizin.

We got two guys who were 24 and 25 when they got trounced by DJ. Borg’s career has gone pretty bad since then. He hasn’t lost a ton, he’s just been unable to step inside the cage. Horiguchi has looked good since that DJ loss, except those two Bellator defeats, which feel like huge letdowns. I feel like Horiguchi is a lot better, but it’s hard to say what Borg looks like since he’s fought so infrequently. Sure, he’s been a bit more active of late, but it also hasn’t been against the highest levels of opponents.
THIS FIGHT IS OFF AND I AM UPSET

Prelim Card - 8 PM ET, Youtube

Featherweight - Mads Burnell vs Justin “J-Train” Gonzales

Burnell is 16-5 with 1 TKO and 9 sub wins. He’s 3-2 in Bellator, losing his last two, both by decision.

Gonzales is 14-1, with 4 TKO and 1 sub win. He’s 3-1 in Bellator, currently on a 2 fight win streak.

Other than Aaron Pico, Gonzales has fought the same level of Bellator competition as Burnell. I should caveat that I am a Mads Burnell Doubter, and I’m ready to be proven disastrously wrong, as per usual.

Lightweight - Yancy Medeiros vs Charlie “917” Leary

Medeiros is 15-8, with 7 wins by TKO and 4 by submission. He won his Bellator debut last year by decision. Primarily a brawler, his last stoppage win was in 2017. To be fair to Yancy, he didn’t have any kind of win between that one and the Bellator fight.

Leary’s record is 17-13 with 9 TKO and 3 sub wins. He’s 3-4 in Bellator, having lost his last two.

Looks like we’ve got a Captain Cook situation brewing! To put it plainly, I hope a Native Hawaiian beats the hell out of a British.

Featherweight - Kai “Fighting Hawaiian” Kamaka III vs Adli “Sunshine” Edwards

Kamaka is 10-5 with just one TKO and just one sub win. He’s 4-1 in Bellator, notching his first career stoppage win in his latest fight.

Edwards is 9-2 with 2 TKO and 3 sub wins. He is 0-1 in Bellator, getting punched out by Aaron Pico last April, snapping a 7-fight win streak.

The Pico fight was a big step up in competition for Edwards. Kamaka should be slightly more his speed, but I think Kai is probably a bit better.

Flyweight - Sumika “Lady Samurai” Inaba vs Veta Arteaga

Inaba is a perfect 5-0, all fights in Bellator, with 3 TKO and one submission win.

Arteaga is 7-4 with 1 TKO and 2 sub wins. She’s 6-4 in Bellator, currently on a two fight win streak.

This will be Inaba’s biggest test to see if she can move up the 125 lb rankings. She’s early in her MMA career, but she’s 32, having gotten a pretty late start in face punching. This will also be just the second time Inaba has faced someone with a winning record, so we’ll see how prepared the Lady Samurai is.

Featherweight - Keoni Diggs vs Weber “The Silverback” Almeida

Diggs is 10-2 with 1 TKO and 6 wins by sub. He’s 3-2 in Bellator, ending a two fight losing streak with a decision win last October.

Almeida is 7-1 with 6 of his wins coming by TKO. Weber is 5-1 in Bellator, winning his last two after tasting defeat for the first time as a professional back in 2021.

Two mid-30s featherweights fighting on the early part of the Bellator Human Sacrifice Hour prelims. Let’s just hope we get some promised mayhem, violence, and bloodshed, fellas.

Lightweight - Bobby King vs Aalon Cruz

King is 12-5 with 3 wins by TKO and 5 by submission. He has gone 3-2 in Bellator so far, losing to the two good fighters he’s faced, Alexander Shabily and Gadzhi Rabadanov. To King’s credit, he went the distance in both of them.

Cruz brings an overall record of 10-4 to the cage, with 4 TKO and 2 submission wins. He won on the Contender Series in 2019, then got obliterated in two UFC fights in a combined 3 minutes. Since then, Cruz has won a pair of fights on the regional scene and now we are here.

I don’t think Cruz is being brought in as an equal match to King. Pretty sure Bobby is going to push him over and deliver a moderate whomping.

Heavyweight - Davion “All Day” Franklin vs Kasim Aras

Franklin is 5-1 with 3 TKO wins. He’s fought his entire pro career thus far in Bellator, losing his last bout by RNC to Marcelo Golm.

Aras is 7-1 with 3 TKO and 2 submission wins, and to show he’s a cool badass, he’s also got a loss by DQ due to CHEST BITE. An absolute savage! He’s on a 3-fight win streak, so he mentally bounced back from chomping into human flesh, and hopefully his hunger has been satiated. For now.

I am a simple keyboard warrior, but I would not agree to a fight against someone that has a history, no matter how minor, of being a cannibal. Respect to you, Davion Franklin, but be careful.

Flyweight - Ilara “Arya Stark” Joanne vs Bruna Ellen

Joanne is 11-6, with 4 TKO and 3 sub wins. She is currently 3-2 in Bellator, having stopped a two fight skid with a pair of decision wins last year.

Ellen is 6-4 with a single TKO stoppage to her name. She is 4-4 in Bellator, losing her latest bout by decision.

It’s going to be interesting to see how long Joanne keeps the Arya Stark nickname as Game of Thrones slowly fades from cultural relevancy. I guess the other fun game to play is to see if she retires from fighting before Martin finishes the next book. Anyway, this is going to be a fight between people. You can watch it or you can not watch it, the choice is yours.

Welterweight - Alexey Shurkevich vs Masayuki Kikuiri

Shurkevich is 13-5 with 1 submission and 9 TKO victories. He is 1-0 in Bellator, winning his Circlegon debut back in 2021. Since then, he went to Shlemenko FC and, fittingly, lost by spinning backfist knockout.

Kikuiri is a type of Nepalese short sword, favored by the Gurkhas. Whoops, that’s not right. Masayuki Kikuiri is 8-2 with 5 wins by TKO. He’s fought exclusively in Pancrase, where about half his wins have come against guys with losing records.

This looks like another set up fight, in that Kikuiri is being set up to get beat down.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I'm still so goddamn mad about Kyoji. And my lost fandom for Bobby Green.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Good KO on the early prelims. And I was horribly wrong on my assessment!

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

jared gordon is loving cursed, man

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Joe Rogan thinks that should be legal

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Ol' E. Honda Flying Heatbutt.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Bad stoppage imo. Dude got cleaned out but you have to at least see whether he can recover.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Time for the biter to fight on Bellator

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Big fan of scary Russian knockout man.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

i claim victory over the entire bloodyelbow editorial squad

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

blue footed boobie posted:

Big fan of scary Russian knockout man.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
PAvo rules

What power he has just in the jab and that sneaky uppercut is so nice

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Digital Jedi posted:

PAvo rules

What power he has just in the jab and that sneaky uppercut is so nice

Yeah it was pretty wild seeing blaydes getting continuously rocked by his jabs

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

If we ever get to it, Pavlovich vs Jones would basically be a pass/fail of if Jones can take him down, but pretty sure Jones is retiring after this summer, so good luck to the winter's vacant title fight between Pavlovich and Jailton Almeida

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Considering who blaydes has fought and who couldn't put him out.

Thats a scary man

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Inaba punched a lot of blood out of Arteaga's face

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

That's a cool knee. Good night everybody.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Hell of a job, Patchy. Goddamn.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man just won himself two belts, a black belt, and a large novelty check for a million bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
God drat what a knee