Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
For house paint (walls, doors, exterior, etc.).

I have a house paint color formula that looks like this:

B-39
F-33
KX-27
V-2Y15

Does anyone know how to interpret this? I'm trying to use Google and getting nowhere.

Is it possible to determine what the color is in terms of RGB, Hex, Lab, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Those codes directly correspond to the volumes and colors of the pigment that was added to the base paint to create the custom color. Unless there's been some sort of sweeping standardization in the paint industry since I've worked in a hardware store (which admittedly was a very long time ago), then that formula is most likely only meaningful within the particular paint brand's ecosystem and would have to be replicated by someone who sells that paint and has the specific equipment to dispense the specific pigments.

Most places these days do have a scanner that can take a color chip and spit out a mix formula for it, maybe in these Moderne Tymes that might also include something like a hex code? Might be worth calling or stopping by your favorite local home improvement place to see if anyone even actually understands what you're looking for. :)