Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Mrs. Davis is a new show by Tara Hernandez and Damon Lindelof, airing on Peacock, starring Betty Gilpin and that guy from the Limitless television show.

It's good, except for Lindelof's continued terrorist campaign targeting Australia.

I'll add pictures later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I like it so far and was pleasantly surprised by the gore

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
finished episodes 3 and 4 last night and i love it. betty gilpin is great. i like the idea of releasing the first four episodes at once, i watched them two at a time and episode 4 seemed to leave off in a perfect way to transition into a weekly one episode viewing. this show is extremely my poo poo.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

drat I made the suggestion and a few minutes later here's the thread! Thanks for posting it.

Just finished the fourth episode. I am very glad they explained the opening scene. I about died laughing when they revealed it was a sneaker commercial. This show is bugnuts insane in all the best ways. I'm actually surprised how little we've gotten about Mrs. Davis and how much more it leans into the Jesus stuff. I assume they're going to draw further and further parallels between obedience to God and obedience to the AI. Right now the biggest thing seems to be both essentially exist to give humans an interesting narrative to follow. Jesus sends Simone on silly little quests just like Mrs. Davis does.

I think what really brings the show together for me is Chris Diamontopolis just being extremely ham and playing it purely for comedy — ironically as the character who is taking everything the most seriously. It's definitely a comedy show first and foremost, but the two leads do a lot to ground it in something like reality. Having JQ as a force for pure stupid comedy is a great breather from all the weird poo poo happening.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

MokBa posted:

drat I made the suggestion and a few minutes later here's the thread! Thanks for posting it.

Just finished the fourth episode. I am very glad they explained the opening scene. I about died laughing when they revealed it was a sneaker commercial. This show is bugnuts insane in all the best ways. I'm actually surprised how little we've gotten about Mrs. Davis and how much more it leans into the Jesus stuff. I assume they're going to draw further and further parallels between obedience to God and obedience to the AI. Right now the biggest thing seems to be both essentially exist to give humans an interesting narrative to follow. Jesus sends Simone on silly little quests just like Mrs. Davis does.

I think what really brings the show together for me is Chris Diamontopolis just being extremely ham and playing it purely for comedy — ironically as the character who is taking everything the most seriously. It's definitely a comedy show first and foremost, but the two leads do a lot to ground it in something like reality. Having JQ as a force for pure stupid comedy is a great breather from all the weird poo poo happening.

commercial reveal was fantastic. wondering where the british knights shoes will figure in later, obviously something to do with the kidnapping priest. if i remember correctly the shoes are in a vault in france where jq and the other "ninjas" are right now, though they did blowdart some vatican guards to get in? also i loved the way they explain a nun marrying jesus and the relationship thereafter, the restaurant and the quests and her eating the notes. definitely seeing parallels between the faith in god and the ai giving out wings to people. curious to see where the expiration tattoos leads to...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The reveal in episode 4 that Simone is essentially only one of a harem of Godwives and he’s sent loads of other women to try and get the cake was so good.

Show is really funny and Gilpin is incredible.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I loved that reveal because it was something I was wondering throughout the series.

but I also grew up Mormon so the idea of divine polygamy is not entirely foreign to me

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Spoiler tags just in case (up through episode 4)

Jesus isn’t a good practicer of polyamory :( you need to discuss your poly views before entering into a relationship

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 22, 2023

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Ep 4 spoiler The Clubbed to Death needle drop during the commerical absolutely killed me. I was thinking the whole time how a lot of the interactions that Mrs Davis has with the real world felt a bit Matrix-y and the showmakers just went straight up "yeah motherfucker, we know what you're thinking". Just beautiful.

God I love this show, feels like it was made 100% just for me.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I laughed so god drat hard at the little girl getting shot in the stomach with an arrow and I won't apologize.

Wiley doesn't know what the Pope looks like, which is either a plot hole, a plot hook, or else just an incredible burn on Wiley.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
episode 5 my favorite so far

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

New episode was very good. Though I'm almost disappointed they just went and explained everything. The show has gone all in on the religious side of things and I'm wondering if it's going to properly delve into the "AI controls everyone" side that was in all the promo material.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Episode 4:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/295677442268332043/1101683211374952549/JQ.mp4

koolkal fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 29, 2023

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I don't trust this Jesus fellow.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This show is incredible!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

This show is incredible!

It’s really loving good OP

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Mrs. Davis is like if you laced the off island episodes of Lost with some form of drugs (LSD? Adderalll?)

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
This show is bonkers. All the characters are great, but i feel like i'm counting the minutes until Chris Diamantopoulos is on screen

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Spoiler tags just in case (up through episode 4)

Jesus isn’t a good practicer of polyamory :( you need to discuss your poly views before entering into a relationship

Simone didn't get angry that Jesus had more wives, she was angry that he treated her like a servant.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I watched the first episode and honestly I have no idea what to think about this show.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

AcidCat posted:

I watched the first episode and honestly I have no idea what to think about this show.

Me too. My brain immediately started rejecting all the cinematic monkey cheese bullshit combined with Lindelof macguffin bullshit. But Betty Gilpin is so goddamn charismatic that part of me wants to keep watching it.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I wasn't on board until the 2nd episode.

I think that some of the scenes should have been in the first episode.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

AcidCat posted:

Watched two episdoes, and same. It feels... mean-spirited? Don't know quite how to put it. Betty Gilpin is great though.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Remember that it’s half Lindelof, half Tara Hernandez (Big Bang Theory). Episode 3 felt more Lindelof to me than the first two.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

So I got about halfway through Ep 3 and turned it off, not for me. The show tries to toe that line between absurdist/weird/fantasy and actually wanting you to care about character drama, and for me the mix is not working. Like, already they are giving us flashbacks on characters we barely know in the present timeline and expecting us to care? There are shows that can toe this line and work, like Barry or Lodge 49 that put character drama first and the absurdist/weird stuff is in balance, to even a show as bonkers as Legion where I still cared about the characters, but I feel this is already veering towards a farce that still expects me to care about the characters kinda like Preacher, another tonally strange show that ultimately didn't work for me.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I really like this show, but so far it hasn't connected with me emotionally. Which is a bummer, but it's also ok. Will definitely keep watching and enjoying, but I'm disappointed it doesn't look like it will become a show to connect with in the same ways as something like Patriot or Lodge 49, or even some parts of Doom Patrol.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Kevin Bacon posted:

I really like this show, but so far it hasn't connected with me emotionally. Which is a bummer, but it's also ok. Will definitely keep watching and enjoying, but I'm disappointed it doesn't look like it will become a show to connect with in the same ways as something like Patriot or Lodge 49, or even some parts of Doom Patrol.

it's "distant" feeling, not even sure how to describe it, but i still love it. but ya... i kinda agree. it reminds me of the feeling i got from dispatches from elsewhere, which i also loved.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Stryder posted:

Me too. My brain immediately started rejecting all the cinematic monkey cheese bullshit combined with Lindelof macguffin bullshit. But Betty Gilpin is so goddamn charismatic that part of me wants to keep watching it.

The entire base plot of this show is a meta commentary on MacGuffin chasing and is about as openly self aware and tongue and cheek about it as it could possibly be, htth.

Anyways this show is absolutely incredible but I am admittedly a massive Lindelof fan so it hits all the right buttons for me.

Its one of the more clever and inventive satires Ive seen in awhile but theres an earnest side to its characters emotional arcs that Ive really enjoyed so far.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 7, 2023

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The show is fantastic, binged through episode 5 over the weekend. It's everything I wanted given the premise and talent involved. The reveal at the end of episode 4 threw me for a loop in the best way ("Wait, the cold open from the first episode exists within the world of the show? ...Are they about to do the Spaceballs VHS gag?" But the actual gag was even better.)

I will say, the one area where I'm feeling shortchanged so far is understanding the actual reach and influence of Mrs. Davis. That has been almost purely tell, don't show so far. We hear a lot about how most people have taken to listening to the algorithm, and the few moments where we've seen it in action (Mrs. Davis directing people to go to Simone and give her their pocket money so she could have the one million Euro to buy the cake) have been effective, but I still don't feel like I have a sense of why people have bought in to the system. It's a tremendous plot device, though, having an omniscient reason for characters to always be either undermined or rewarded as the situation calls for it.

theblackw0lf posted:

Remember that it’s half Lindelof, half Tara Hernandez (Big Bang Theory). Episode 3 felt more Lindelof to me than the first two.

There are two aspects of the show where I really feel Lindelof's influence: There's the repetition of key phrases that gradually take on more and more weight and meaning - "There will be consequences." "Whatever it takes." - and the way the show parcels out information at the perfect pace, so the viewer is either right on the precipice or has just put it together for themselves as the reveal lands. Episode 5 felt VERY Lindelof all around and not just because it was an extended flashback being recounted to our main characters as they were on a remote island.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

I still don't feel like I have a sense of why people have bought in to the system.

I think they've pretty well established that there's a bullshit game economy going on, where credits for doing your mini-quests are being built up.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

I will say, the one area where I'm feeling shortchanged so far is understanding the actual reach and influence of Mrs. Davis. That has been almost purely tell, don't show so far. We hear a lot about how most people have taken to listening to the algorithm, and the few moments where we've seen it in action (Mrs. Davis directing people to go to Simone and give her their pocket money so she could have the one million Euro to buy the cake) have been effective, but I still don't feel like I have a sense of why people have bought in to the system. It's a tremendous plot device, though, having an omniscient reason for characters to always be either undermined or rewarded as the situation calls for it.

There is a general dearth of worldbuilding considering the sci-fi concept. We know basically nothing about life in algorithm-controlled society, apart from some vague statements about war and famine being abolished, and even that is stated to be a lie by the resistance. Are there still governments? Do people have day jobs, or is it all just quests now? I makes the setting feel a bit perfunctory. I guess we will see what happens in the final episodes.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 8, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Man I love this insane stupid snow.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Holy poo poo this is a good show. Give Chris Diamantopoulos the Emmy for Best Supporting, knowing that he was told like the Friday before filming started "Hey we decided want your character to be Australian now" makes his already hilarious performance infinitely better.

Episode 7: Man I really thought the "Don't touch the sedative, one drop and you'll be considered dead for three days" thing was going to come into play after Simone entered Jay's restaurant...but it went in a much better direction. The whole scene with Mary I could not place the actress - Shohreh Aghdashloo, who I best remember as delivering a great performance as one of the worst Muslim caricatures on 24.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Holy poo poo this is a good show. Give Chris Diamantopoulos the Emmy for Best Supporting, knowing that he was told like the Friday before filming started "Hey we decided want your character to be Australian now" makes his already hilarious performance infinitely better.

Episode 7: Man I really thought the "Don't touch the sedative, one drop and you'll be considered dead for three days" thing was going to come into play after Simone entered Jay's restaurant...but it went in a much better direction. The whole scene with Mary I could not place the actress - Shohreh Aghdashloo, who I best remember as delivering a great performance as one of the worst Muslim caricatures on 24.

She ruled on The Expanse as Chrisjen Avasarala

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
God damnit Lindelof. Got me again.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The exposition dump in episode 5 was a bit much for me and made the disordered storytelling leading up to it feel kinda... gimmicky and unnecessary, but otherwise I'm fully back on board and love the show.

I love how the first two decapitations we saw turned out to be fake, and now I can't help but think Clara's head exploding was a lie too. I think we're still in for a serious rug pull because Simone was way too eager to buy into Mary's story. Like am I missing something or did she completely fail to explain why Jesus was trying to discourage Simone, and also why Mrs. Davis would particularly care about destroying the grail? I guess you could speculate that Jesus just enjoys being "alive" and is scared to disappear but I think something big is being left out.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Martman posted:

The exposition dump in episode 5 was a bit much for me and made the disordered storytelling leading up to it feel kinda... gimmicky and unnecessary, but otherwise I'm fully back on board and love the show.

I love how the first two decapitations we saw turned out to be fake, and now I can't help but think Clara's head exploding was a lie too. I think we're still in for a serious rug pull because Simone was way too eager to buy into Mary's story. Like am I missing something or did she completely fail to explain why Jesus was trying to discourage Simone, and also why Mrs. Davis would particularly care about destroying the grail? I guess you could speculate that Jesus just enjoys being "alive" and is scared to disappear but I think something big is being left out.

seems like it ties in to wondering if her father is alive or dead, schroedingers cat-like, and wondering if her faith will shatter if she finds the truth

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Martman posted:

Because if Simone goes through with it Simone will never see Jesus again. It'd effectively end their "physical" relationship and would break Simone 's heart. Jesus was trying to protect her (assuming there isn't another rug pull)

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I love this show so much. Its so much god drat fun and has so much heart. I never know what is going to happen, its so unpredictable and zaney yet so coherent with all its twists and turns.

I feel like it being on Peacock is killing its visibility because I dont see anyone talking about it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Does the finale drop later in the day?

I watched the first seven episodes last weekend and it said the finale was today. But not at midnight?