Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think the real issue with the Super Bowl turf is that as rich as the NFL is and with two weeks to prepare the field for the biggest god damned game and highest viewed TV show of the year that they couldn't get the motherfucking field ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

blarzgh posted:

"X - X against playoff teams/ teams are the winning record" is a made up stat, It means only one thing: You either are or you are not Tom Brady who is the only quarterback that has significantly more wins against teams have finished with > .500 record that any other quarterback in history basically

Playoff teams are generally only one or two games above 500 sometimes if that, and a good team will win 11 to 14 games a year, dealing many teams that one loss that ultimately keeps them out of the playoffs or from having a winning record.

So what you're doing is contriving a stat that a) assumes that a quarterback is 100% responsible for the outcome of the game, which is dumb ESPN bullshit, and 2) punishes teams who are successful, and to turn several teams a season into teams that don't make the playoffs and or finish below 500

Agree that it's bullshit and it manifests itself every year when teams are good but chipped for "not having played anybody" or having a "weak" schedule. All teams build winning records by beating the teams they're supposed to beat and holding their own against the elite ones.

You see this in how, at the beginning of the year, reporters talk about which teams have the toughest schedules and, by the end of the year, that metric is totally different as teams play out the games and actually win and lose. A lot of times, what looked "tough" in September becomes "easy" by December after poo poo shakes out.

Who had the NFCE as a tough division last year?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 10, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Harlock posted:

This still remains to me the funniest and most bizarre storyline

https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/1656663812475604993

49ers still upset they lost that game like they were destined to go to the Super Bowl or something

It's a fair point, I think. 49ers are loaded everywhere except QB and had to play that game with a 3rd stringer who basically couldn't throw. Shanahan is saying he hopes they've ironed out the QB situation by that time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

blarzgh posted:

" Stats don't matter" and "Ringzz Don't tell the whole story" in one post.

He's the fusion cuisine of football posting that's for sure

People don't really understand how fine a line there is in the NFL between winning and losing and the incredible amount of luck that goes into determining that. 2/3 of all games are decided by one score and any number of fluky things can affect that. MIssed extra points, lucky bounces on fumbles, doinked field goals/XP's, pick sixes and untimely turnovers, untimely penalties, punt and kickoff returns...weather, injuries, coaching decisions...all kinds of poo poo.

https://cleanuphitter.com/nfl/stats/nfl_common_scores.php

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-average-margin-of-victory-2022

But the majority of games are close and usually decided by maybe 5 or 10 key plays that drastically swing the outcome. Look at your average NFL point spread. The difference between the best and the worst NFL teams in any given year is not nearly as vast as we tend to think. Vegas certainly seems to understand this better than anybody.

A lot of really great teams and QB's never hoisted that trophy. Marino, Jim Kelly's Bills, The 70's Vikings, etc. Then there's New England's (almost) undefeated season. Since Eli Manning came up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

You can blow out a team and win by 3 points

That was kind of my point actually.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Has their been any talk of Washington fixing their stupid nickname and unis under the new ownership? I kinda think they should.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I hadn't really thought about it but, man, the AFC is just stacked at QB compared to the NFC.

Jalen is the default #1 based on only one year and then you have, what? Dak, Cousins, Stafford?

AFC has Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Rodgers, Lawrence, Herbert...Russel Wilson and Watson if they can get their poo poo together. It's pretty nuts how lopsided it is.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: hurts is not the best qb in the nfce let alone the nfc.

Go on.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Age aside, I think most people, if they were starting a team right now and had to choose between Dak or Jalen, they'd take Hurts. And I don't think it'd be significantly close.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dak is a fine QB and certainly good enough to win a Super Bowl, even though he hasn't. I just think Jalen can do more overall and that his ceiling is higher. Don't give me this bullshit about Jalen having all these weapons either when Prescott has had more than enough top tier talent and support many seasons.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Has there been any talk about a new stadium in DC? I hear nothing but horrible things all the way down about the current one. From parking, to the food, access, the pricing, the sight lines and the sewage. Not to mention the product on the field.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Some of these are fair points for sure but:

You're starting an NFL team and have to pick one of them. Disregarding age, who do you take?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Anxiously awaiting an analytical statistics breakdown that can argue how all the QB's who led the league in interception percentage were really the best ones in their conference and easily top 5 in the NFL. Here's a good jumping off point to get that particular argument rolling, sortable by season

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/interception-percentage?season_id=20

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Hurts runs the offense very well, it's just a little hard to discern how much is him and how much is the system/what is around him.

So...every QB in the NFL then?

I get what you're saying and there's always that thing where Montana had Jerry Rice or Marino never had a defense or a running game and what have you. Is Hurts better than Lamar Jackson because team had X, Y, Z? But I doubt anyone would say that Prescott has never had any weapons or help either. Or that his division was too tough. He's operated behind a stellar offensive line most of his career, has had plenty of WR's, RB's and defensive aid his entire time in the league and has never been asked to carry his team. EVER.

Dak has hardly been hamstrung by a lack of offensive or defensive support.

Jalen making the most of the talent and coaching he's surrounded by shouldn't be a mark against him either, and I'm not saying you're doing that FWIW. He's gotten better at the game every step of the way, works very hard at his craft from all accounts and gave KC and the best QB/Coach/team in the entire league all they wanted in the Super Bowl last year. It's a TEAM game, more than any other sport, and Hurts has made the most of his opportunities so far.

I don't know what he looks like playing for the Browns, the Saints, the Jets or the Cardinals but I can say the same for Prescott. Would, say, Washington be a better team with:

Dak?
Jalen?

I think the answer is clear.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Man, Washington football seems all sorts of hosed up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

pro starcraft loser posted:

Thats pretty much every new stadium war. Washington is just a little different since there are 3 (4 if you count federal) governments fighting over where it goes.

I'd love the commanders to be in DC, but always hate the idea of taxpayer dollars being spent on it.

Right. I live near Jacksonville and the Jaguars are going through the same poo poo.

I meant the dilapidated, sewage spewing stadium which I've heard is really hard to park and get to, etc., their poo poo eating rear end in a top hat of an owner, all the sexual harassment allegations, the whole nickname fiasco and, lastly, the truly terrible product on the field that fans have been offered every since Joe Gibbs moved on and the heyday of the early 90's.

It's pretty remarkable.

DC at one time had a top tier coach who won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different (mediocre) QB's, several record setting offensive teams, was as feared as any team in the NFL and owns two of the largest rear end kickings in SB history. Now they're a loving joke of a franchise with precious little hope for the future.

What does a fan of this team hang their hat on and where is any sense of optimism derived?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dak Prescott making promises (and not so subtly dissing his receivers)

https://deadspin.com/dallas-cowboys-qb-dak-prescott-guarantees-his-accuracy-1850648657

The Dallas Cowboys' QB guarantees he won't throw 10 picks in 2023

quote:

As if there wasn’t enough pressure on the Dallas Cowboys heading into year eight of the Dak Prescott era, the two-time Pro Bowl quarterback added just a little more.

Prescott added more to his plate while speaking to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram by predicting his number of interceptions will be considerably lower than last year.

“I know who I am, and you can go back and take away half of those off drops,” Prescott said.

“I’m not saying it’s on the receiver, but if you cut that in half, then we start talking about those, nobody is talking about it.”

“I won’t have 10 interceptions this year.”

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

blarzgh posted:

He's 100% right that at least 5 of those were drops/Receiver mistakes, but I actually hope he has about 10 interceptions and keeps his career INT% of about 1.75 because that means he's driving the ball down the field and attempting valuable passes.

I'd much rather him have another 2019/2022 season where he throws 35+ TDs, 10 INTS with 7 AYA vs andother 2017/18 where its 22 TDs but only 8 INTs 6 air yards per attempt

Oh, there you are.

I'm not saying he's wrong either but a QB, as a leader, should put the blame on his shoulders and never make excuses, IMO. That's part of what he's paid for as the largest salary on the team and I don't think a top five QB publicly calling out his teammates for drops is a great look. Pull them aside, do some extra work with them and work it out in the locker room or in practice. I also don't think he should be so openly stat focused.

I like Dak and think he's a good player but I can't imagine Tom Brady, Pat Mahomes or even Jalen Hurts publicly blaming his receivers for INT's like this and tweeting about his stat predictions like a fantasy team owner. This is a team game for sure but the QB is PAID to get the credit as well as take the blame.

If you're a Cowboys WR, how do you feel about your "leader" publicly deflecting blame for your team's failures when he's the highest paid player on the field or openly worrying about his individual numbers?

All he had to say was "we're going to work even harder this year as a team to cut down on our turnovers and take the next step towards bringing a championship to Dallas. And it all starts with me being better. All of us are going to get better." Not setting the over/under on his QBR.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This typo freaked me out for a moment

https://deadspin.com/jalen-ramsey-tyreek-hill-miami-dolphins-nfl-injury-1850683381

Miami Dolphins' key offseason acquisition Jalen Hurts injured at camp

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Do all these coaches agree that Dak Prescott is a Hall of Famer?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Diqnol posted:

He isn't but please continue to cope super hard over it

Best I can see is an argument that Dak is maybe #2 in the NFC but that's almost by default. And one can easily name 5 players better than he is. Still kind of amazed at the roster of NFC QB's and how mediocre they are compared to how stacked the AFC is at the position.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't think there's a GM in the league that would take Dak over Jalen, even if we disregarded their age. One can argue that Hurts has only done it for one year and has a great supporting cast, which is fair, but I feel safe saying there's a pretty solid consensus here.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

:hmmyes: this is the guy i want throwing the ball for my team

https://youtu.be/U_G77g0i6GY?t=7

OK

Well, good luck with that this year. Dallas' only hope is to field a nasty and mean defense...and they might.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The weird cult of personality around Dak in this thread is strange.

He's fine, has some talent and may be better than the results we've seen on the field if one wants to look for excuses for him but, again, no GM in this entire god damned league would take him over Jalen Hurts right now and that's a loving fact. I doubt that if Dallas fans were really being honest that they wouldn't take him too and agree. I can't think of one GM in the league that would replace Jalen with Dak, even if they were the same age.

You guys want us to admit that Prescott is good? I think he's quite good, and probably better than his record, but some of you need a reality check here and should remind yourselves who went toe to toe with the best QB in the game last year in the Super Bowl and look at who's getting better every year with no real ceiling in sight. If Jalen has hit his top tier, as of right now, and plays to the baseline he put up last year then it's no contest.

I look forward to the Eagles running roughshod over Dallas this year while we await all the reasons it's not Prescott's fault. Dallas might have a top 2 or 3 defense this year, which can win a lot of games though so we'll see.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Hurts played 20 games of below-average quarterback, then put up Dak Prescott's 3rd best passing season behind the best supporting cast in the NFL, and ran the ball a bunch because his Coaches are Smart at Football

The NFL has 100x more QBs who posted a one-off, borderline MVP season then fell back to earth than it does perennial pro bowlers

He played a better game in the Super Bowl than Dak's lone appearance.

Oh, wait.

Come on folks. No one, and I mean NOBODY would, if given the choice, take Dak over Jalen right now. Maybe blargh would but AFAIK he's not a GM.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

I like BiggerBoat quite a bit but their confidence re: Eagles v. Cowboys is bonkers to me and I don't understand a mindset that doesn't pencil in at least one loss to Dallas in any given season

I was just talkin poo poo but I do think Philly goes farther than Dallas. Agree it's probably a split in the regular season.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I had a dream last night that Dak threw an interception during the season opener and I was annoyed that I'd have to come in here tomorrow and argue why it wasn't his fault

No surprises here at all that you have dreams about Dak Prescott.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

https://deadspin.com/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-trevon-diggs-nfl-practice-1850699357

quote:

Trevon Diggs is feeling himself after signing his new contract. Just over a week after his financial future has been secured with the Dallas Cowboys, he has no problem going after Dak Prescott — the face on the field of the most profitable sports franchise in the world.

During a training camp session, Prescott decided to take off on a scramble. The problem with that, defensive players aren’t allowed to touch quarterbacks in practice so once he tucks the ball that rep is dead. Maybe it was a heads-up to the offensive line that Prescott will take off sometimes, but largely no work is accomplished if Prescott brings practice to a halt once he becomes a ball carrier.

Diggs called this out while he was on the field working against the Cowboys’ No. 1 offense. He was quite unhappy with Prescott’s decision to kill an entire rep by taking off with the football. Diggs yelled at the Cowboys starting quarterback to stay in the pocket/box, and is heard on the video saying something about Prescott’s “bitch rear end” to express his disappointment.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Hey guys, you remember that time Carson Wentz played good enough to get his team into the playoffs but then got injured and Big Dick Nick Foles came in and won all the playoff games and the Super Bowl?

There's a Washington fan I work with (who still refers to them as their old name) who's been trying to tell me that Trevor Lawrence is doomed since "Doug Peterson is not good with quarterbacks." So, yeah in addition to being a stubborn racist, he's also an idiot. The coach that beat Brady and Belichick with loving Carson Wentz and Nick Foles is bad with QB's.

Doug has also coached the two largest increases in QBR in NFL history (Wentz and Lawrence)

Are all Washington fans this stupid?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

Pederson being a casualty of the Wentz debacle is always going to stick in my craw because that dude is a drat good coach, but IIRC he was also very much against Hurts getting the nod over Wentz so it's a bit of a mixed bag. I'm confident enough in Sirianni to where the loss of Pederson sucks a bit less (going to the Super Bowl will do that, I guess), but that could fall apart quickly if the team looks bad under the new coordinators and they slip into some of the habits they've had over the past two years (like completely forgetting the identity of the team and making things much harder on themselves, a la the Saints game last season).

Between the new coordinators and the hilariously brutal middle part of their schedule, the Eagles feel like one of those teams that could win 13 games or barely make it to .500. I have them penciled in at 12 wins, with most or all of the five losses happening from weeks nine through 15 (DAL, Bye, @KC, BUF, SF, @DAL, @SEA).

I honestly think they're going to regress but gently caress if I know how unless key people get hurt.

Teams that lose the SB almost always have terrible seasons the next year, I always get nervous when everyone is picking the Eagles and it would be a very Philly thing to do to get swept by Dallas, split with WAS and NY and figure out a way to go 9-8 where the Cowboys win the division or 8-9 and miss the playoffs.

Some team besides SF, DAL and PHI is going to pull a NYG or MIN from last year, turn out 10 or 11 wins and sneak into the playoffs, guaranteed. I keep looking at the NFCS and seeing a likely candidate there since those teams all suck and one might go 5 and 1 in that division through sheer luck. Maybe New Orleans but a sudden CAR or ATL surge wouldn't shock me either. These seasons never go according to consensus and 1 or 2 teams always come out of nowhere while another 1 or 2 just poo poo the bed entirely and flame out. But who are those teams?

Who's a sleeper team in the weak rear end NFC?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I would say any team that made the playoffs last year wouldn't qualify as a sleeper. More, a team that no one is talking about coming out of nowhere and making it in. Green Bay or Cleveland types, looking at things now. Oakland or Washington.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Febreeze posted:

Do the Lions count as a sleeper? They are in a weird spot and missed the playoffs but really came up hot late last season

I wouldn't count them in that category since they're a trendy pick to win a down division. Some team like Green Bay would qualify though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Having a good time at a preseason game is gonna be a high bar to clear.

Having said that, go Jaguars this Saturday

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Dave posted:

Preseason games can be fun to like just chill with your buddies and have some drinks, and it just so happens there’s live football actually happening.

There’s like zero energy in the stadium though. Granted I’ve never been to a full dress rehearsal one.

It sucks. Not as much as watching it on TV since you have a bit of a time and effort investment dedicated to getting to the stadium and poo poo but it's as lame as any other preseason game.

Here you go, Blarzgh, lol

Video: Dak Prescott Throws Multiple Interceptions During Training Camp Practice

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/video-dak-prescott-throws-multiple-interceptions-during-training-camp-practice

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

According to an rear end in a top hat coworker, there's a petition going around to bring back the old, racist Washington team name. He's a Back the Blue, Nobody Wants to Work Anymore regular ordinary rear end in a top hat aside from that but he's made this a mission or sorts from what I can tell.

I don't know what it is that generates passion for this dumb poo poo or why anyone wouldn't just move on and not die on that hill but this dude wears the old logo on his lanyard badge and is real vocal about it. Another dude said it's not a big deal because his ex wife is Native American and she and her sisters said it wasn't racist.

So I was in the minority this morning arguing against using a slur to (re)name a professional sports team.

According to some Google searches, it's not as big a deal as some made it out to be so I don't loving know but it seems pretty offensive to my lily white rear end and good loving luck getting it reinstated in any case.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Zeke Elliot finds a home with my second most hated NFL team

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...paign=editorial

Cowboys FA Ezekiel Elliott, Patriots Reportedly Expected to Agree to 1-Year Contract

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I watched some of the Cowboys/Jags preseason game and this Deuce Vaughn guy scares me a little bit. Immediately reminded me of peak Darren Sproles or a less powerful Maurice Jones Drew. I know it's only preseason but dude has that low to the ground, shifty, decisive and explosive running style that gives defenses fits on draw plays and third downs.

Wonder if Dallas might use him to return kicks?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Good write up on Deuce Vaughn

https://deadspin.com/deuce-vaughn-is-proving-that-size-doesnt-matter-in-the-1850759543

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Another reason to strongly dislike Trey Lance I suppose and think he sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

blarzgh posted:

100% but what are u gonna do :shrug:

I'm gonna say gently caress the Cowboys and I hope they finish last.