Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The game(book):

Written by British gaming and gamebook veterans Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson, the first Fabled Lands gamebook, The War-Torn Kingdom, was published in England in 1995. Five more books followed, and the authors had a successful Kickstarter campaign in 2018 to publish the seventh book, with twelve books total planned. Each book takes place in a different fantasy milieu, starting off in Ye Olden European Times and expanding in scope to not-Mongolia, not-Constantinople, not-Southeast Asia, and not-South America. However, we don't have to reach an official end to one book to continue to the next. This series is open-ended like the best of CRPGs: we can do the main quest or we can make our own fun. I'll be using the 2015 reprints which integrate the book and series errata.

The LP:

I'm doing this for charity. Unlike my other thread (and soon-to-be thread) at the Scholastic Book Fair, I'm not effortposting over here to encourage you to give to literacy charities like Reading is Fundamental and Books for Africa. Instead, the quantity--and quality--of goon participation will determine how much *I* donate. I also need to retrain my writing muscles to regular exercise after working 50-60 hour weeks for nearly a year. Your moral support is encouraged.

This will be a screenshot/text LP.

The LPer:
has never actually finished an LP, so your moral support is definitely encouraged.

-------------------------------------

The Characters
To start things off, we'll need to make a character. Unlike other gamebook series, characters you create carry over from book to book--as long as you survive, of course. There are six professions to choose from, each with different abilities. I've played the second book in this series and I know there are sometimes extra options and outcomes based on professions. There's also a ranking system that works like an experience system from other RPGs: the higher our rank, the better equipped we are to handle problems.

Abilities
CHARISMA (CHA): Just like how it works in D&D.
COMBAT (COM): Melee and ranged weapon fighting skills. Some weapons have COM bonuses.
MAGIC (MAG): Spellcasting for fighting and other things. You can buy and find wands and other items with MAG bonuses.
SANCTITY (SNC): Religious belief and knowledge and power. You can buy and find holy symbols and other items with SNC bonuses.
SCOUTING (SCO): The book says it's for tracking and wilderness lore but in practice this also includes navigation and wayfinding. Maps and compasses often have SCO bonuses.
THIEVERY (THV): Stealing stuff, sneaking around, picking locks, etc. You can buy lockpicks for a THV bonus.

Abilities can't go below 1 or over 12. If you have multiple items that give a bonus to the same stat, only the highest bonus applies (unless the book says otherwise).

Professions
PRIEST: Charisma 4, Combat 2, Magic 3, Sanctity 6, Scouting 4, Thievery 2.
MAGE: Charisma 2, Combat 2, Magic 6, Sanctity 1, Scouting 5, Thievery 3.
ROGUE: Charisma 5, Combat 4, Magic 4, Sanctity 1, Scouting 2, Thievery 6.
TROUBADOR: Charisma 6, Combat 3, Magic 4, Sanctity 3, Scouting 2, Thievery 4.
WARRIOR: Charisma 3, Combat 6, Magic 2, Sanctity 4, Scouting 3, Thievery 2.
WAYFARER: Charisma 2, Combat 5, Magic 2, Sanctity 3, Scouting 6, Thievery 4.

Stamina
Each character starts with 9 stamina, which works exactly like HP. Lose all your stamina, you're dead. Characters can recover stamina but the total can't go over 9 until the character advances in rank. There's no upper limit to your stamina score.

Rank
The leveling system. Characters start at rank 1, Outcast. Complete quests and defeat enemies in combat to increase rank.

DEFENSE
Combat ability score + rank + armor bonus (if applicable). Each character starts with leather armor that gives +1 DEF.

INVENTORY
We can carry up to 12 items, though we can own other items as long as we have a place to store them, such as a rented room or locked trunk. Each character starts with a sword (no bonuses), the aforementioned +1 DEF leather armor, and a map.

(from the official website)

-------------------------------------

Suggest a character to start this adventure, based on the six professions. Hopefully I'll have someone picked out later tonight or tomorrow and then we can get going.

I brought my Drake fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Participation goes here.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

One more blank one just in case.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

CURRENT CHARACTER:

Eve McGoonstone, the Wayfarer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

As befits a Goontagonist, Eve is not entirely mentally well, leading to them occasionally making bad, wrong, or stupid decisions because "I thought it would be funny;" in addition, their long career of being asked to leave business establishments and towns in general for "disturbing public behavior" have left them very familiar with the vagaries of a wilderness life. Eve is often grouchy (it's very hard to find a comfortable mattress in the forest, much less a sufficient supply of snacks), but a firm friend to those she judges worthy of that friendship, and is brutally bad with money, constantly spending what little wealth she possesses to buy something shiny, always lurching for short-term gain and them wondering why she can't make long-term progress.

Charisma 2
Combat 5
Magic 2
Sanctity 3
Scouting 6
Thievery 4

Stamina: 9
Defense: 7

Inventory:
sword
leather armor (+1 DEF)
soggy map in mapcase

OTHER POSSIBLE CHARACTERS:

The Unnamed Troubador
Andy, the Warrior
Salvador the Priest

I brought my Drake fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 27, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Be a troubador.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
in honor of the participating audience, I vote we play EVE McGOONSTONE the Wayfarer

As befits a Goontagonist, Eve is not entirely mentally well, leading to them occasionally making bad, wrong, or stupid decisions because "I thought it would be funny;" in addition, their long career of being asked to leave business establishments and towns in general for "disturbing public behavior" have left them very familiar with the vagaries of a wilderness life. Eve is often grouchy (it's very hard to find a comfortable mattress in the forest, much less a sufficient supply of snacks), but a firm friend to those she judges worthy of that friendship, and is brutally bad with money, constantly spending what little wealth she possesses to buy something shiny, always lurching for short-term gain and them wondering why she can't make long-term progress.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I'm assuming this is going to work like other FF style books where if (when) we die horribly, you just go down the list to the next unlucky fool?

If so, I'm going to toss out a vote for Andy, the warrior. He's just a minimally educated, unemployed fighter who travels around trying to make ends meet. Nothing special or particularly heroic about him, but everybody needs to make a buck and he doesn't have the brains or knowledge to do much beyond stabby stab stab.

Also, a couple of your URL tags in the OP don't seem to be working.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

MagusofStars posted:

I'm assuming this is going to work like other FF style books where if (when) we die horribly, you just go down the list to the next unlucky fool?

Pretty much, though, I'm not sure how easy it will be to die in this game. IIRC the fighting fantasy ones can be very unforgiving.

quote:

Also, a couple of your URL tags in the OP don't seem to be working.

Thanks for the catch. I think they're all fixed now.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Eve McGoonstone is a good name, but I'd suggest she be a troubador.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Dhikbut the Rogue, with the added provision that whenever the book offers us an opportunity to steal something, we must take it.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

MagusofStars posted:

I brought my Drake posted:

Pretty much, though, I'm not sure how easy it will be to die in this game. IIRC the fighting fantasy ones can be very unforgiving.
In that case we ought to start out as a Troubador just to see how quickly Charisma turns into a worthless afterthought dump stat. We can change to someone good after our inevitable and probably-soon death.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010
I won't weigh in either way since I've read too many of the books at this point, but I do want to note that the Priest knows some magic, but the Mage has zero priestly skills, which I think is interesting. It's also worth pointing out that the classes do have specific advantages based on the class name at various points, not just their stats.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Interestingly the professions are not balanced on stat totals:

Professions TOTAL
PRIEST 21
MAGE 19
ROGUE 22
TROUBADOR 22
WARRIOR 20
WAYFARER 22

Furthermore, the stat distribution is not balanced either - for example, SNC is very hit or miss and the only stat that goes down to 1 on any profession.

With that in mind, my vote is for
Salvador the priest
Salvador used to be a priest in a small town, and a very classical one at that - portly, jolly, and ready lend an ear to whatever troubled the townsfolk at any time. That came to an end when said town was razed in an attack that he barely escaped by what can only be considered divine intervention. He has since chosen to travel the world, helping those in need, with quite some success. A combination of a reputation and kindly attitude did help a lot on the road, as did a few minor "miracles" he picked up. Salvador is ready to offer whatever aid he can to those in need, as long as it does not involve things that are a bit too morally questionable or physically strenous.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

I like the idea of Eve McGoonstone, the Wayfarer too much to give her away to the troubador. But we've got a couple backups just in case she makes a bad decision. Let's get started.

The approach of dawn has turned the sky a milky grey­green, like jade. The sea is a luminous pane of silver. Holding the tiller of your sailing boat, you keep your gaze fixed on the glittering constellation known as the Spider. It marks the north, and by keeping it to port you know you are still on course.

The sun appears in a trembling burst of red fire at the rim of the world. Slowly the chill of night gives way to brazen warmth. You lick your parched lips. There is a little water sloshing in the bottom of the barrel by your feet, but not enough to see you through another day.

Sealed in a scroll case tucked into your jerkin is the parchment map your grandfather gave you on his death-bed. You remember his stirring tales of far sea voyages, of kingdoms beyond the western horizon, of sorcerous islands and ruined palaces filled with treasure. As a child you dreamed of nothing else but the magical quests that were in store if you too became an adventurer.

You never expected to die in an open boat before your adventures even began.

If only Eve left port in an Apoc. Here's what I imagine she's sailing:

Credit

Securing the tiller, you unroll the map and study it again. You hardly need to. Every detail is etched into your memory by now. According to your reckoning, you should have reached the east coast of Harkuna days ago.

A pasty grey blob splatters on to the map. After a moment of stunned surprise, you look up and curse the seagull circling directly overhead. Then it strikes you: where there's a seagull, there may be land.

And we get pooped on by a seagull, fabulous.

You leap to your feet and scan the horizon. Sure enough, a line of white cliffs lies a league to the north. Have you been sailing along the coast all this time without realizing the mainland was so close?

Steering towards the cliffs, you feel the boat shudder against rough waves. A howling wind whips plumes of spindrift across the sea. Breakers pound the high cliffs. The tiller is yanked out of your hands. The little boat is spun around, out of control, and goes plunging in towards the coast.

You leap clear at the last second. There is the snap of timber, the roaring crescendo of the waves--and then silence as you go under. Striking out wildly, you try to swim clear of the razor-sharp rocks. For a while the undertow threatens to drag you down, then suddenly a wave catches you and flings you contemptuously up on to the beach.

At least the ocean wiped our map clean. Gonna miss that little boat.

Battered and bedraggled, you lie gasping for breath until you hear someone walking along the shore towards you. Wary of danger, you lose no time in getting to your feet. Confronting you is an old man clad in a dirty loin-cloth. His eyes have a feverishly bright look that is suggestive of either a mystic or a madman.

:stonk:

Get the codeword Auric and then turn to 20.

"Well, well, well, what have we here, friends?" asks the old man. He seems to be talking to someone next to him, although you are certain he is alone. 'Looks like a washed-up adventurer to me," he says in answer to his own question. "All wet and out of luck!" He carries on having a conversation with himself, a conversation that quickly turns into a heated debate. He is clearly quite mad.

Down one sailboat, up one deranged lunatic.

"Excuse me, umm, EXCUSE ME!" you shout above the hubbub in an attempt to grab the old man's attention. He stops and stares at you. "Is this the Isle of the Druids?" you ask impatiently.

"Indeed it is," says the old man, "I see that you are from a far land, so it is up to me to welcome you to Harkuna. But I think you may have much to do here for it is written in the stars that someone like you would come. Your destiny awaits you! Follow me, young adventurer."

The old man turns smartly about and begins walking up a path toward some hills. You can just see some sort of monolithic stone structure atop one of them.

"Come on, come on, I'll show you the Gates of the World," the old man babbles.

Should Eve...

...follow him? (turn to 192)
...explore the coast? (turn to 128)
...head into the nearby forest? (turn to 257)

I brought my Drake fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 27, 2023

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

follow the old man! :wal:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

It's dangerous to go alone, follow him. :stat:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Follow the exposition.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I think your tags are a little broken? Anyway Follow him

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Follow the old guy but don't like it and, in fact, resent the fact that he's making you walk while listening to exposition instead of just giving you the details like a proper Authorial Mouthpiece. Jerk. What, is he trying to say Eve doesn't get enough walking in? Jerk. We're in fine fettle! Mostly. Probably could use a bath, sure, but if we're on Druid Island I'm pretty sure we'll fit right in anyways. Buncha stinky old tree-huggers.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Ooh I used to have the first five books and I remember the world well, I even stumbled upon a technical infinite money glitch and also an actual good ending (which is rare since the books are so open ended)
I'll of course not be spoiling anything without the OP's permission.
Also I found this series much better than other gamebooks, mostly for the sheer enormity of the game world. It was like Morrowind before Morrowind, but actually kinda balanced!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

By popular demand posted:

Ooh I used to have the first five books
You did not. Only the first 4 books were translated into Hebrew. I would even call up the publisher once a year to check whether they had any plans to translate the other two.

To reiterate a suggestion someone made when I LP'd this series... a decade ago... transliterated text is a lot easier to read and less likely to glitch out than pictures of text.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I can't clearly remember with my dumb mind so I'll accept your explanation.
BTW anyone got experience with the new revised video game?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

By popular demand posted:

BTW anyone got experience with the new revised video game?
I got it (despite Dave Morris' "no way is my nazi friend a nazi, and you're the real nazis for saying so!" rants) but didn't have time to play yet.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

Xander77 posted:

I got it (despite Dave Morris' "no way is my nazi friend a nazi, and you're the real nazis for saying so!" rants) but didn't have time to play yet.

Oh for the love of-- :cripes: And I thought I vetted the authors well enough before starting the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh well, can't catch them all... as all the VW owners out there keep telling themselves. And the folks who wear Hugo Boss.

Follow the old man.