Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
So growing up my parents had margarine instead of butter because people said it was healthier, but I haven't eaten it for many years now and I'm pretty sure people realized it's not any healthier than butter. What's the deal with it? Are there foods where it's preferred over every other form of fat? What's it actually good for? Do you keep it in your fridge and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

It's vegan op

E. Well some isn't but idk why people use that

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 25, 2023

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I was also raised on margarine but sometime in the 1990s (?) some research came out that said trans fats were essentially poison. Trans fats at that time were less regulated in the US and most margarine contained massive amounts of them. So my mom switched our family to butter.

I now eat margarine due to being vegan. It took a few years for trans fats to be regulated/outlawed. Maybe its healthier now? Theres my margarine oral history.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Ah yeah the vegan thing makes sense

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Margarine used to have to be dyed pink in order to appease the dairy industry and their lobbyists

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I honestly prefer it with and only with eggs and toast. honorable mention for squeeze right on a French loaf

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I honestly prefer it with and only with eggs and toast. honorable mention for squeeze right on a French loaf

you know that seems like it would be fine

I think once when I was like 18 I tried to make bechamel with it

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Also doesn't have the same lactose and cholesterol issues as butter.

I use it a lot because I don't mix meat and dairy in dishes. It's an inferior yet adequate substitute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The wikipedia page is a good resource, but tl;dr - it's dairy scarcity based and only later was marketed as a healthier alternative to butter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine