Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

All these researchers need to chill out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Okay I didn't expect March to be a tank. that owns.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

boy I sure love sci fi and anime (not joking)
I'll be gravely disappointed if this game isn't exactly like Vanillaware's magnum opus 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Enjoying the game. Hating how it handles accounts. I apparently have a Google account and a facebook account that for whatever reason I cannot link.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

It’s refreshing getting to play somethin that’s like genshin but where I have no clue what’s going or where my resources should be going yet. Sure I’ll make a lot of mistakes but that’s part of the experience.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I got Gepard on my first newbie banner pull. Does he "count" as my guaranteed 5 star or am I gonna get another one if I finish the 50 pulls?

Also is Gepard a good pull? Who is the Qiqi that I'm praying to miss here. Oh god Gepard is ice element...

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Honkai Star Rail: Tottonids are f***** rocks

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Codes for some freebies:

HSRGRANDOPEN1
HSRGRANDOPEN2
HSRGRANDOPEN3
HSRVER10XEDLFE

Gearman fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 26, 2023

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Mix. posted:

(the good news is if you get a 5* on the beginner banner before the guaranteed you still get to do the pulls to get the guaranteed, so you can walk away with multiple)

update: so that was a loving lie lol, they keep the banner up but you lose the guarantee as shown by the fact i just did my last 10x and got no 5* :v: i didnt use primos or whatever so its not like its a loss, but thats kinda annoying lol

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Really liking it so far. Dunno if anyone else has friends adding unlocked but I'm 600206717 if anyone wants to add me.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
They really decided to call the weapons 'light cones', huh. They actually did that. There wasn't anyone on the translation staff telling themselves that this sounds terrible?

Come on. 'Photon Funnel' was right there.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ended up with Himeko and a couple Nats so far.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

7 more hours until I'm home and able to play... My phone model isn't compatible so I can't even do the tutorial and some rolling on my lunch break...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looking forward to playing this exploitative pay to win gacha garbage.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I got Asta. She's rad.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

making the mc's weapon a baseball bat was not on my gacha bingo card

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

UHD posted:

Yeah I dunno what to think about that lol

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Maxwell Adams posted:

They really decided to call the weapons 'light cones', huh. They actually did that. There wasn't anyone on the translation staff telling themselves that this sounds terrible?

Come on. 'Photon Funnel' was right there.
It's a real term in physics, so it's not like they just pulled it out of nowhere. But it's still not a good name. The connection between what it means and what it represents in-game is pretty tenuous.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 26, 2023

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

UHD posted:

Yakuza Like a Dragon vibes and I like it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

4-5 years ago I stumbled upon this really eye catching anime character design for what would turn out to be Bronya Zaychik: Herscherr of Reason. This would lead me to a really janky written wiki page with what looked like machine translated text from the Chinese internet that didn't really make any sense to me even without context for how the whole Imaginary Tree universe worked. It also seemed to be a game that was only available in China with the pretense of edgy pretty godlike anime girls beating each other up with reality breaking levels of force. I kind of dismissed it after browsing that wiki and seeing a pretty badly animated video of what would turn out to be the ending to Honkai Gakuen 2 which had just been uploaded at the time and was like whatever I'll never really hear of this Honkai Benghuai Xueyuan whatever in any capacity again anyway and seems like otaku power fantasy stuff that's I guess trendy in China, but I remember thinking wow there was something about that character design and art style that popped more than usual.

Anyway flash forward to now and a character from that thing with that art style that curiously remained in the back of my mind from around immediate pre-pandemic times is now on an ad in Times Square and Honkai brand is at the top of twitch viewers index for it's launch. Also the budgets and production values since Honkai Gakuen 2 have improved exponentially. Explain this discrepancy in the simulation whoever is running it. :stare:

For reference the video I'm talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWteuy5U0nA. Same company as Genshin Impact and this game 5ish years ago.

UHD posted:

Cause the main character from Honkai Impact's thing is beating stuff up with a baseball bat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVHD6ieRmTI Another video that should obviously explain everything.

Kale fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 26, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

house of the dad posted:

It’s refreshing getting to play somethin that’s like genshin but where I have no clue what’s going or where my resources should be going yet. Sure I’ll make a lot of mistakes but that’s part of the experience.

Dont worry, those $99 bundles will let you fix those mistakes. The information overload and making sure your confused is part of the design to trick you into paying real money.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I think I got someone good from the starter banner? At least her teamwide buffing and "choose a characte to go again" seems quite nice.

is MC worth actually using in this game, or is it like Genshin where you will quickly get someone better?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bronya is the best pull from the starter banner, yeah.

Physical MC is whatever, but like Genshin you'll unlock other elements of them through the story. Fire Trailblazer is a very good tank who does decent damage. That said, a lot of early game stuff is weak to physical, so it's worth leveling Trailblazer both for when you unlock Fire and for that stuff.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 26, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
...Are Light Cones this games version of Craft Essences? Because I kind of hate Craft Essences on principle.

Me being a weirdo about that aside, I am liking what I played so far. Haven't made my rolls yet but will do so shortly.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This game is way funnier than I was expecting.

Make sure you’re clicking on the object descriptions. Some have made me laugh out loud.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 26, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

...Are Light Cones this games version of Craft Essences? Because I kind of hate Craft Essences on principle.

Me being a weirdo about that aside, I am liking what I played so far. Haven't made my rolls yet but will do so shortly.
lightcones are like genshin weapons more than craft essences, in terms of how many you get for free and how theyre essentially locked to certain characters, but they're still stat boosters that eat up 90% of your rolls, yeah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

you can tell its more honkai than genshin because the women are way cooler

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I shouldn’t like March but I do

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

dub serval is yor / miorine so i think i'm contractually obligated to put her in my party

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

lightcones are like genshin weapons more than craft essences, in terms of how many you get for free and how theyre essentially locked to certain characters, but they're still stat boosters that eat up 90% of your rolls, yeah

I never had much of a problem with Genshin weapons than I did with Craft Essences, but then I think it is because that Craft Essences are used to make FGOs gatch that much worse in a unique way by having the guaranteed 4 star card usually be....a Craft Essence.

Also, I thought that March and Paimon had the same english VA and I guess not? For some reason they sound alike.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

dub serval is yor / miorine so i think i'm contractually obligated to put her in my party
the dub is wild compared to genshin getting all the b-list JRPG dub VAs. kafka's va was in a few eps of always sunny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I never had much of a problem with Genshin weapons than I did with Craft Essences, but then I think it is because that Craft Essences are used to make FGOs gatch that much worse in a unique way by having the guaranteed 4 star card usually be....a Craft Essence.
Oh, this game works like Genshin, if you get a 4* Light Cone your next 4* is guaranteed to be one of the rateup 4*s. FGO not having that guarantee is a massive pain in the rear end when it comes to rolling for 4* characters.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The game sadly seems to be missing Genshin's best feature, which is listing every character's voice actor on their character sheet. Now how am I supposed to know how bad I am at recognizing them? Tab out and Google it like a caveman?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i am enjoying the anime mass effect vibe of the first twenty minutes. unlocked my character and will enjoy more later this week 💖 can't play on high settings on my PC without frame rate issues uh oh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This seems pretty fun so far; the beginning story content has actually been a pretty satisfying difficulty (though I imagine that will change drastically once I start properly leveling characters up).

Haven't gotten anyone that great using the starting rolls yet, but there's no way in hell I'm rerolling for this (due to the pity system I'm pretty sure luck ends up evening out in the long run anyways). Got a Natasha, a copy of Asta, Arlan, Hook, and Serval. Natasha is apparently a healer, which is nice; I could have really used one of those during a couple of the story fights.

edit: I like that the gear system seems pretty simple. I was worried it'd be like Honkai Impact's, which is extremely confusing. From what I can tell, the only gear is those cards (that seem equivalent to Genshin's weapons).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 26, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Natasha isn't amazing but as one of the two healers in the game RN she's very much worth having.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

theblackw0lf posted:

Make sure you’re clicking on the object descriptions. Some have made me laugh out loud.

Check every trash can. Thank me later.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

I've enjoyed the dialogue; it seems like it takes the goofy dialogue options from Genshin Impact and just makes them even more frequent.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

The game sadly seems to be missing Genshin's best feature, which is listing every character's voice actor on their character sheet. Now how am I supposed to know how bad I am at recognizing them? Tab out and Google it like a caveman?

theyre in the codex you unlock a bit later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I've enjoyed the dialogue; it seems like it takes the goofy dialogue options from Genshin Impact and just makes them even more frequent.

the tl also seems a fair bit better. genshin's tl isnt bad but theres times where it devolves into feeling like an edited machine tl of a philosophy book. most of the cast in star rail just kinda talk like normal people who drop Key Words sometimes.