Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One minor issue I have is that I do find the plot a bit harder to follow than Genshin's was. Genshin's main story is generally very straight-forward and introduces things to you pretty gradually, while this suddenly thrusts you into a scifi setting. I don't really have a firm grasp of the broader setting here, while in Genshin I could pretty quickly grasp "it's just a world with countries, and each country is lead/represented by a an elemental god (and there's probably other stuff going on, but it's not directly relevant to the plot yet)."

I feel like this actually would have benefited from a straight lore-dump cutscene at the very beginning of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Well I got some very lucky pulls; I got Welt (who is not what I wanted from the standard banner but my second choice isn't bad) on the second pull, plusServal and Pela (both of whom I like and want to use) in the first two pulls of the beginner banner, and my first 10 pull on Seele's banner for 4 stars ended up getting me Seele (and Arlan I guess). So that's nice.

This game is very funny by the way. It's a lot more fun to dunk on March as compared to Paimon since she seems like an actual adult instead of a baby gremlin, and whoever is in charge of writing the incidental dialogue...well, I just hope they're okay.

Also my icon is of a trash can, which is great.

My two problems so far is that I haven't found how to turn off random strangers friending me yet and everyone only seems to have one set of combat lines which gets old fast.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Ytlaya posted:

One minor issue I have is that I do find the plot a bit harder to follow than Genshin's was. Genshin's main story is generally very straight-forward and introduces things to you pretty gradually, while this suddenly thrusts you into a scifi setting. I don't really have a firm grasp of the broader setting here, while in Genshin I could pretty quickly grasp "it's just a world with countries, and each country is lead/represented by a an elemental god (and there's probably other stuff going on, but it's not directly relevant to the plot yet)."

I feel like this actually would have benefited from a straight lore-dump cutscene at the very beginning of the game.

It definitely has a real bad case of the Proper Nouns, but I sorta feel like they're just leaning on you being an "amnesiac" in their reluctance to actually explain anything.

I hope this comes out for PS4/5 sooner rather than later — it feels a lot like the UI is getting in the way of itself, and I'm hoping this is just because I don't have a huge phone, and not that someone genuinely thinks it's good design to make you have to carefully avoid hitting some other button to hit another one. Thankfully, this has only felt especially bad in the character trials, so it's not too terrible. Mostly it's just got that classic onscreen controls shittiness, and there's not much of a way around that beyond supporting controllers (which doesn't seem to be an option?)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Did they do what they did in Genshin, and rather than needing to do a 10 pull all at once for the guaranteed 4-star, it just keeps a running count of how many pulls you've done?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also thinking about it heres the 3* lightcones that might be worth keeping max duped/actually leveling at some point:

Abundance
Multiplication: When the equipped character uses their basic attack, their turn advances forward by 24%. This actually seems pretty alright? Since it's on healers they can just be basic attack spambots when everyone is healthy and they'll get more turns so they're more likely to be able to heal in time when it matters. Definitely keeping one of these around.

Destruction
Mutual Demise: Increases wearer's crit rate by 28% when under 80% max HP. Pretty low bar to clear and it's extremely good on Arlan since his gimmick is being a berserker anyway. If we ever get a 5* equivalent to Arlan it'd also be very much worth considering.

Erudition
Pass Key: Gives the wearer 16 energy when they use their skill, once per turn. If a character's really energy hungry this seems alright.

Harmony
Meshing Cogs: Gives the wearer 8 energy when they attack or get hit. Same logic as Pass Key. If we ever get a tanky harmony character, a character throwing a taunt onto them could make this really solid.

all the Hunt ones seem kinda eh.

Nihility
Hidden Shadow: When you use a skill on an enemy, they'll take 120% extra damage next time you basic attack them. Any Nihility character that has a skill/attack/skill/attack rotation could actually make really good use of this.

Preservation
Amber: Just a massive defense boost, and then an even bigger one below half HP. Obviously useful for tanking.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bussamove posted:

Did they do what they did in Genshin, and rather than needing to do a 10 pull all at once for the guaranteed 4-star, it just keeps a running count of how many pulls you've done?
Yeah. It also carries over across banner rotations like it does in Genshin.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When do you get whatever this game's equivalent of "XP item grinding levels" is? I'm guessing I should be sorta close. I just did the metaverse introduction stuff.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

When do you get whatever this game's equivalent of "XP item grinding levels" is? I'm guessing I should be sorta close. I just did the metaverse introduction stuff.

Pretty soon afterwards, though you run into the character XP thing first.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Decided to give this a shot against my better judgment even though I just recently put down Genshin. It's neat so far at least, I do like it being turn-based so it's less of a keyboard piano than Genshin can be. Game is pretty and has lots of style too.

My 5* from the beginner banner ended up being Ice Xingqiu Yanqing. He seems like he'll be a little chores-y to maximize in battle but potentially could have quite the high damage potential with all the crit bonuses? I suppose we'll see!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Are you able to return to the first area later? I see the big level 11 enemy and I do not have a healer yet, and I hestitate to pump up my current characters, not to mention that the required character is taking up a slot that probably be better served by another character for that particular fight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Are you able to return to the first area later? I see the big level 11 enemy and I do not have a healer yet, and I hestitate to pump up my current characters, not to mention that the required character is taking up a slot that probably be better served by another character for that particular fight.
That guy isn't too bad, he's the same type of enemy that the shielding tutorial was about so you can just toss March's shield on people as he charges up at them. You should be able to handle him with the base Trailblazer/March/Dan Heng/Himeko party at level 8, which takes barely any materials and won't overlevel you.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Unlucky7 posted:

I managed it just fine the first time around, the only person who I leveled up was the spear guy, because the game forced me to. It's not too difficult, and the trial character helped trivialize it. I'm not terribly much further than you are, but I'm still hanging out in that space station, and there's no way they're not letting you come back, since the map's helpfully pointing out how many chests I've not opened (presumably all in areas it wouldn't let me go to).

Hell, it was probably worthwhile to fight it and get some levels for doing so.

e: ↓ They're plainly 3 different choices, that's fine.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

gently caress's sake, not already

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

padijun posted:

gently caress's sake, not already
This one's an actual joke rather than 'literally the same dialog option' or 'the same dialog option split over two dialog options.'

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In my first free 10-pull I got the 5 star destruction Clara. I think I'm off to a good start.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Got a Hook from Seele’s banner, I’m all in on Klee-but-with-a-robot-arm.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does the beginner banner guarantee a 5*?

Edit: By the time you finish it off anyways; obviously not in the first 10-pull since I've done 3 so far.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Does the beginner banner guarantee a 5*?

Edit: By the time you finish it off anyways; obviously not in the first 10-pull since I've done 3 so far.
You can only do 50 pulls on it, and you're guaranteed a 5* on your 50th pull if you haven't gotten one from it already. If you get one before then, you can still do all your pulls on it, but you aren't guaranteed another one at the end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

You can only do 50 pulls on it, and you're guaranteed a 5* on your 50th pull if you haven't gotten one from it already. If you get one before then, you can still do all your pulls on it, but you aren't guaranteed another one at the end.

Ah, nice. That's good to know.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My gacha luck with Mihoyo continues to be terrible as I pull the one character I was the least interested in from my beginner banner (Gepard). At least he seems solid in terms of mechanics? In better news this game is actually very funny. I greatly enjoy how much of an absolute weirdo the Trailblazer is in the flavor dialogue for interacting with stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gepard is decent it's just that he's March 7th but with less damage and more shielding, and for the difficulty of story content March 7th's shielding is enough.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean you don't need to tell me, that's pretty much the reason I didn't want him. Like hell was I gonna reroll in this game though.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Should I burn this jade currency on the 50 banner or will I get enough tickets naturally. Just made it off the first space station

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

m.hache posted:

Should I burn this jade currency on the 50 banner or will I get enough tickets naturally. Just made it off the first space station
You'll get enough standard tickets naturally, the beginner banner doesn't go away until you've rolled on it 50 times so there's no rush.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Very surprised at how much life and personality is in the dialogue compared to Genshin already.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Very surprised at how much life and personality is in the dialogue compared to Genshin already.

yeah even more than the tl this just seems like it was written by people who are way better at comedy, even on the cn side

genshin has some neat characters and funny moments but the flow of conversations is always pretty stiff even when its trying to be funny and breezy

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think the setting helps. It being sci fi means characters are allowed to be more..Modern? and like, silly in that sense, instead of a more stuffy high fantasy atmosphere.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea plus youre just hanging out with dudes (for the most part) instead of like, gods

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I'd play the hell out of this game if it was a normal rear end single player RPG. As gacha/service it's gonna end up debatable for the same reasons I ultimately mostly quit Genshin.

For now, though, having lots of fun with it and really enjoying the setting and vibe. Gameplay feels great. I've gotten Hook E1 and Sushang so far and both of them seem pretty strong!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
So far, I've pulled Asta, Hook, Natasha and Serval. One more batch of 8 to go to get the guaranteed 5* from the beginner banner.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I got Clara in my first 10 pull of the beginner banner, but I really wanted Bronya...

Meanwhile my zoomer cousin got Bronya in his first 10 pull, life just ain't fair these days.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I need one more pull to get my guaranteed 5* too. Much excitement and dread.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

STARRAILGIFT another code

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I got Clara instead of Welt, who I was more excited for. I am (begrudgingly) enjoying this small girl and her giant robot buddy, however - it helps that I really like counter-focused battle styles. The only other character I've gotten from the gacha is an Asta dupe. Other than that it's just cones, cones, cones.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My inner MSTie is showing. Bring me the SAMPO!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Don’t forget to do the hoyolab check in for a least 3 days for 100 gems.

https://act.hoyolab.com/bbs/event/s..._theme_device=1

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I got Himeko in my first ten warps, which I guess is pretty lucky in terms of not wasting warps, but not a character I'm particularly excited about since fire was already covered.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Not sure if there's a better place to list this stuff but there are 5 working codes right now in total. Haven't seen the fourth one passed around yet.

1st Code: HSRGRANDOPEN1

Rewards: Stellar Jade x100, Credits x5000

2nd Code: HSRGRANDOPEN2

Rewards: Stellar Jade x100, Traveler's Guide x5

3rd Code: HSRGRANDOPEN3

Rewards: Stellar Jade x100, Refined Aether x4

4th Code: HSRVER10XEDLFE

Rewards: Stellar Jade x50, Traveler's Guide x2, Bottled Soda x5 & Credit x10000

5th Code: STARRAILGIFT

Rewards: Stellar Jade x50 & Credit x10000

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
So far I got Arlan, Asta, Tingyun, Herta, Serval, and finally Welt.

Any recommendations? I plan on using Welt, but I want to know who else is or has good synergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wokow6 posted:

So far I got Arlan, Asta, Tingyun, Herta, Serval, and finally Welt.

Any recommendations? I plan on using Welt, but I want to know who else is or has good synergy.
a good welt team would be

arlan or dan heng/welt/trailblazer/a healer if you need one, whoever if you dont

welts a debuffer so his main synergies are just single target dps's