Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

UHD posted:

man E4 qingque is really really good at making me gamble even more sp than i should

It's not a gamble though, you ideally want to hit E 3-4 times on her turn to maximize the stacking damage buff anyway. The poor man's Daniel "Don't call me Feng" Heng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
E1 Kafka is like an overall 17% increase in damage versus Jingliu who would be an infinity increase in damage over not having her

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There are 4* options that are very good for Kafka so you can theoretically go for her E1 but do you even have enough copies of Good Night Sleep Well for the 2-3 Nihility characters you run on a Kafka team?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kale posted:

So lore folks, I've seen it said in some places that Kafka is apparently on planet buster tier levels of power in terms of story lore but where was this ever mentioned in the lore of the games? Is this actually a thing in the lore somewhere or is it just fanboys making up headcanon again. If so that'd put her among the ascended being type characters in terms of power levels. I'm trying to conceptualize the character even managint something like that considering what we've seen of her she just seems like a mercenary tossing grades around and shooting stuff. The voice thing seems OP lore wise as it is.

The voice thing isn't even that OP. It's a weaker version of Aponia's Discipline and she wasn't even the strongest of the Flamechasers and none of them could stop Earth's civilization being flattened by the Honkai anyway. Phantylia is an Emanator of Destruction so she's one step down from Nanook itself and she got her rear end beat by an old man and our good friend Daniel Heng so being ascended doesn't even mean much either. The strongest recruitable person is probably still Welt because he's still the Herrscher of Reason even if they locked away most of the universe's Honkai energy at the end of HI3 Part 1.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tatsuta Age posted:

like cmon what the gently caress even is this. please make a new thread for the other game. please

I don't see how HI3 lore has nothing to do with HSR considering Welt literally had a Otto/Void Archives PTSD flashback when seeing Luocha.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Welt's a very whimsical grandpa who got sucked into multiple world ending cataclysms and fixed them out of obligation. That's why he wants to drive the big Belobog robot and play Space Mahjong with Qingque. He's actually a garbage Herrscher of Reason, the only thing that he knows how to create are the Star of Eden (black hole gun that is I guess is his walking stick now?) and his perfectly reconstructed ageless body when he almost died. That's why he handed off the Core of Reason to Bronya because she's an even bigger nerd who could conceptualize like an infinite amount of mechanical contraptions.

It's not really said in game how strong he really is but if they were going to do some Welt story I'd rather find out how he feels about the fact that he ditched his wife and kid to save another universe.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dawgstar posted:

I like the fun little touch Blade is the only one without a personalized phone case.

Daniel Heng also has a plain black phone case. Even when he's Imbibitor Lunae.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Karanas posted:

Y'know, all things considered I should probably be thankful the prices for gems are so loving stupid high. If it was like 5 bucks for a 10 draw I'd definitely splurge now and then. As it is, a 10 draw being like 35 loving dollars is a big no thank you.

It's all social engineering. The cost of raw pulling is stupidly high, which makes the daily pass and the battle pass look like a great value in comparison. Both of these options offer great value in exchange for requiring regular play to extract all the jade from it (player engagement). Big whales are gonna buy the rolls no matter the price point, they're just tapping into the "eh, ten bucks a month ain't bad" crowd who would not spend otherwise.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

NeonPunk posted:

So just did a side quest on the Luofu, and nobody said anything about the Xianzhou storing the souls of the deceased and can raise them from the dead at anytime. That's uhhhh raising whole lot more questions that I now have

Yes but it's very difficult for them to maintain the restored consciousness for long. Xueyi is actually dead she's just a consciousness downloaded into a robot body. Return to Darkness (Hunt LC in battlepass) art is Jingliu holding a dead Xueyi.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Woops guess I was wrong on which white haired lady that was.

NeonPunk posted:

Even with the limitations if only being able to resurrection souls for a short time, they can still use it in so many ways. Off the top of my head, they could install an emergency system in their combat starskiffs fleet. Just find the absolute best starskiff pilot ever and set up an direct comm to the pilot in a dire situation and have the resurrected pilot take over for a moment in the middle of a battle. They can lean in the Hunt aspect more as the alive starskiff pilots develop a culture where they try to become the next best pilots ever and live the rest of their afterlife battling endlessly fights for an eternity. Why don't the Xianzhou use this more often?

I think it's fairly simple. The dead should stay dead. Xianzhou natives thematically accrue karmic debt throughout their lives instead of their past lives because they live so long and becoming Mara (lit. demon, in Chinese version) struck is inevitable. When someone dies of old age it's because they're either mercy killed before they get Mara struck or just outright killed because they have been. The curse essentially manifests when negative emotions overwhelm someone, why would you want to be brought back in that state?

Eimi posted:

I mean you say that, and Genshin is kind of backing that opinion up, but HI3 is absolutely capable of having some incredibly moving stories and exploration of heady philosophical concepts. Otherwise they wouldn't have gone into the depths on Project Stigma or Forms. Not to mention a story arc like Theatre of Domination, dealing with feelings of worthlessness, depression, suicide, and survivors guilt, one of my favorite story arcs ever that made a deep lasting impression on me. Shakespears discussion with Durandul that's just straight out of Camus. Mihoyo absolutely can do better.

or the conclusion to Theatre of Domination which makes me tear up rewatching it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9e3MFZI3zE

I don't think it's fair to compare, because Genshin was made to appeal to the widest audience and Star Rail is capitalizing on that. HI3 is a labour of love and a pile of jank with impenetrable lore that has had like 5 major overhauls to game systems over the years and gets fully animated cutscenes and insert songs every year to cap off storylines.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also, Genshin Impact is fundamentally a story about travelling to new places and seeing what's going on there (I mean the MC is named the Traveler) while HI3 is a story about anime girls goin' through it in an Evangelion homage (Shakespeare too is an anime girl). Because new units are mostly just new suits of the same characters they keep the cast pretty small and focus the writing on their personal growth and relationships so Plot Stuff matters more emotionally to people playing the game. The flipside to HI3 is when it goes deep into Anime territory when Einstein, Tesla and/or Schroedinger show up and the writers start huffing their own farts about the cosmology of their universe. Star Rail looks like its trying to thread this needle by having a fixed main cast that travels with the player and also making alternate versions of playable characters to signify growth (beautiful chinese dragon elf man).

Anyway yeah it's important to remember that Buddhist concepts permeate Asian storytelling. Yaoshi's "blessing" disrupts the natural cycle of life, death and rebirth and that's why when you live too long the demons curse you. The Vidyadhara go through death and rebirth quite literally and also receive karmic debt directly from the people who knew them before their rebirth (Dan Feng to Dan Heng, who is saddled with the punishment for the crimes committed in a past life).

NeonPunk posted:

Okay let me run off this example. We invented necromancy in the first place, we made it an integral part of our society with the necromancers using it one of the top authority council with substantial power in our culture, and we maintain and upkeep the engine that keeps necromancy going.

But we don't use it because it goes against everything we believe in.

The necromancy computer is a cemetary. Sometimes you go there to ask the spirits questions but otherwise you let them rest.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Walla posted:

I'm having major choice paralysis right now. I have every 4 star in the game and three 5 star dps units and I just can't decide who to focus on. My 5 stars are Welt E2, Jing Yuan and Kafka; also Silver Wolf, Luocha and Gepard for supports. Getting 3 cool units simultaneously isn't really helping. I know I'm going to be building Pela so I can have her on one team and SW on the other.

I do know I'm definitely skipping Dragon Dan and Fu Xuan. I really just want to focus on who I have for a while.

You need at least two sustain characters for MoC so build up Gepard and Luocha they can single sustain a team each.

Kafka is strong enough that she can be a solo dps on a team with two supports and a sustain so that's an easy one. Example team would be Kafka, Tingyun/Silver Wolf, Asta, Gepard (free dot!!)

Welt is both a debuffer and a DPS and with his E1 he leans harder into doing DPS. Very flexible dude and if you are willing to learn how to Yukong you can make his E do stupid amounts of damage. You could do Welt, Jing Yuan, Pela, Luocha for example.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

facepalmolive posted:

Oh it's not at all. I actually liked Space China better overall, but I feel like that's the minority opinion. It had a cooler aesthetic, theme, all of that. Belobog sidequests being lovely fetch quests might have had something to do with that.Hook was the only likeable endearing character out of all the Belobog sidequests, and I will not hear any of it from any of you.

I'm 'upset' not in that I'm upset at the game, but upset that there's so much untapped potential. Yeah I suppose the story is not complete and there's a bigger payoff in the end, at least I hope so.

Can't believe you would ignore my boy Wallace...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I keep thinking the pig is Nimby

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

coolusername posted:

Alrighty then, I trust you guys over the random redditors saying they couldn’t complete events after because they needed more 80s. I’ll just work on getting Kafka and Luka rolling so I have a strong nihility path team to try the higher SU next week.

Fantastic Tales was probably the roughest one to get the highest tiers and they were plenty doable with the trial units if you had like, anything else decently built to support them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/honkaistarrail/status/1692024670097457320

Every time I see her name all I can think of is

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Even if speed boots are the same drop rate as ER ropes the fact that you can just log in and auto battle to farmbboots instead of do actual SU runs for ropes means the effort required is significantly more for ropes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Meowywitch posted:

I'm trying to get a chest piece with crit dmg on it for KAFKA and the game refuses to give me it, it's either nothing or Def

I don't know if I'm working off old info but I'm pretty sure she still wants an ATK chest which should ease farming substantially

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think every character has some level of optimization that you can do. For example Pela can easily do 2 turn ults to keep her debuff up permanently if she's using the Silverwolf event LC + an ER rope and Welt is just a straight up DPS if you build him that way.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The answer of course is that Honkai Impact 3 did it. The "do various, but not every, things to get daily points to fill up the bar" is the daily cycle for HI3 and it also has an overcap stamina bar that fills at a slower rate. They've been blending what works for both HI3 and Genshin together in this game and I heard rumours that Genshin is gonna be switching to the Star Rail daily system too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eimi posted:

Not for sure but if you read all the books and item descriptions, ie not stuff I'm the main story, it's pretty clear. Dan Feng was part of the High Cloud Quintet and lovers of Yingxing (Blade). They are researching how to permanently kill an Abundance emanator. Baiheng, Jingliu's lover, was spying on them. Things go horribly wrong. Yingxing becomes Blade. Baiheng is killed. Dan Feng tries to bring Baiheng back to life, but fails, he can only reincarnate her as a vidyahara. Jingliu snaps, murdering Blade countless times and trying to kill Dan Feng because she had to kill the first several reincarnation of Baiheng because they were abominations. After Dan Feng undergoes the ritual that strips him of his powers, Baiheng reincarnates properly, as Bailu. Of five, three shall pay the price. The three are Dan Feng, Yingxing, and Jingliu.

drat Jing Yuan was a real fifth wheel in that group huh

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Herta Destruction LC is actually really good on Dan.

Also lol that they moved every event up this patch because the story mission is like 10 minutes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Clarste posted:

I'm sure she's repossessed a planet before and now those orphans work in the IPC-owned mining towns.

She repossessed the planet and turned it into an animal sanctuary so really just positives all around

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

coolusername posted:

Herta shop is for silver tickets. Chance for waifu > guarantee of LC.

This mentality explains a lot of people who say "i got X but I don't have a LC for them"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I did Difficulty V just tanking everything doing 200k a turn on Kafka with Destruction. Just laugh in the face of 20 damage up stacks and keep mashing cause this poo poo takes forever.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My Difficulty V team was Destruction with Kafka, Sampo, March and Gepard. March only used shield to clear debuffs though, her main value was constantly spamming follow up attacks since Destruction has Elation as a secondary and freezing rear end in a top hat bugs to delay their splits.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can get both as long as you fulfill the requirements (3 of your base and 3 of the secondary path)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Shame Boy posted:

I suppose it technically could be used to replace people that are dead as well if you don't have the money to revive them but it's pretty cheap anyway so :shrug:

You can also do it if your preferred floor clearing team doesn't match the weaknesses of the last boss.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Easiest way to think about it is that you need to have your resonance unlocked before you can get the resonance upgrades from the other secondary paths.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Izzhov posted:

My only worry is if they keep adding them to regular SU as well then the dilution of blessings problem is gonna get even worse than it is already.

When they added more signets (blessings) to Elysian Realm in HI3 they just added an extra choice so I guess prepare yourself for four blessings per fight

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Phone's fine for dailies and SU but I can't imagine enjoying the music from a tinny rear end phone speaker

No I'm not gonna wear earbuds to play a phone game at home that's weird

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Meowywitch posted:

granblue already did it

3 times, even

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ytlaya posted:

Those semi-recent changes to the way fuel is stored are so nice. I used to lose significant amounts of fuel due to only logging in once a day, but now I usually don't lose any due to both the 240 cap and the new thing where excess fuel is stored up to a point (I'm not sure if it's 1:1, but it's still better than nothing).

Trailblaze Power regens at 1 every 6 minutes and overcap is 1 every 18 minutes so you're at 33% efficiency (which is infinitely bigger than 0, of course)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I like to imagine rewriting most of Jarilo VI's plot in beta in combination with the usual pre launch scrambling is why Xianzhou's story is so half assed. It's the only thing that makes sense considering how much experience they have with telling stories in this format with Genshin and HI3rd.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Endorph posted:

the original story was a lot darker, to the point that characters on the surface like bronya and gepard came across more irredeemable. the underground had also been sealed a lot longer. (that later point is probably the cause of all the timeline confusion)

Yeah, Geomarrow gave you Space Cancer which I think Hook's dad had. Natasha's brother was working on a cure for it which worked in that it removed the Space Cancer but didn't really fill in the holes it left behind. Both of their character quests were part of the main story.

Also you never got to meet Cocolia you just straight up get chased out of town. Although this may be because cutscenes weren't in the first CBT.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All damage buffs are additive percents.

Defense, Resistance Penetration, Damage Taken and Toughness are all their own multipliers.

Character ATK and LC ATK are "base ATK" for the purpose of being multiplied by ATK %. Flat ATK from relics and buffs is added after multiplication.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eimi posted:

Fair enough. You just listed my three favorites. (And Luocha) But I am all about edgy chars.

Seele is entirely carried by my affection for HI3 Seele. She kind of doesn't do much here and doesn't even have a good design.

Give me this Seele. Or since SR Seele basically has Veliona's personality, make a Veliona with Seele's personality to annoy Silver Wolf and be her girlfriend.

Posting to gripe about an alleged Seele fan who thinks that her other self is called Veliona.

Futaba Anzu posted:

Asian Gacha games do more to distance massive spending compared to western ones, prove me wrong

Some do some don't. Mihoyo games put up a massive wall for casual whaling. Part of this is to make daily passes and battle passes look "value" in comparison but it also just kinda deters people from casually dropping a few hundred here and there after you get your double gem bonus for the year.

If you're blowing money on non bonus pack gems to get poo poo like eidolons you're kinda cognizant of how much you gotta spend to get there.

I know lots of Korean games will absolutely just throw tons of little packs here and there for pull value or leveling speed combined with PvP so everyone is in a fuckin spending rat race to keep up.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eimi posted:

It is much easier to talk about Seele and Veliona than Seele and Seele.

*Saule and Veliona

Just call her Red Seele. It's like this huge emotional moment in the story when Seele asks her what she wants to be called and she just says Seele.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/honkaistarrail/status/1707228845022036357?t=MYw5Q4QleNQQYw7ZPCdhFA&s=19

I guess when you accelerate the event schedule and end up with no content for the last part of the patch you just throw jades at people to get them to log in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Futaba Anzu posted:

The leaks are intentional

The way to tell when they aren't is when the lawsuits start flying