Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Radical posted:

i think when they first announced ZZZ i was expecting hi3 to reach end of life and i would jump over to their new game, but its kinda hard to say now what i want to do. the last year of HI3 has been absolutely dire but this patch (now that they're starting to roll out the 7.x overhauls) is really good, so a lot of that was probably just split focus between 2.0 and the old game.

i cant imagine playing both of them but depending on how much time investment they take it might just be playing one or the other depending on the month.

Honestly HI3 might be metaphorically end of life but it will depend on how v2 pans out. There’s some doomsaying about how the game will be Genahinified (the only real concrete reason I’ve seen being the self insert choose-your-own protag vs. a string narrative protag like Kiana) and I hope they maintain what current HI3 players love about the game, but it could very well be that it turns into something that doesn’t resemble current HI3. I’m trying to stay optimistic but will just have to see how it plays out.

As for HSR, I played at launch through the first two banners and quit when I logged on to roll for Bronie and got yet another Himeko. I was salty af (had bad luck overall like getting light cones from standard other than Himeko and Bailu) and uninstalled, but just this week reinstalled it and am really having fun.

I was hoping to get any input from Topaz-havers- are you glad you got her? Does she perform well? I have a guarantee and am 74 pulls in. I have an e1 Himeko I could use with Topaz, and I know it’s iffy if the two work well together but I’ve invested a bit into Herta (having also deep invested in Amber when Genshin came out I couldn’t resist trying to crack out Herta) as well.

I’m mainly unsure if I should save my pity since I’m behind now having taken so long off, the only limited character I have being Seele, returning when the cracked bRoKeN characters are now gone. But FUAs are fun to me so a character that pushes that seems fun. I just don’t know if I’m handicapping myself using a guarantee on Topaz since I’ve heard the meta now is blast focused while she is single target, and revolves around characters so strong they just ignore damage types entirely. I’m only rank 56 so haven’t seen the truly end game content yet (I think…still not sure what that is). Looking up Topaz info all I see is how she broke the trend of increasingly strong characters on every banner, so was hoping to hear some first hand experiences of how she is working in terms of power level and if she’s mostly relegated to killing the infrequent fire weak/single target bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Awesome - thanks for all the advice. I’m still getting a feel of how things compare to something like Genshin vs. HI3 since returning, with the latter not being very forgiving when you don’t pay attention to meta power levels and the former being very casual so I’m glad to hear it isn’t too big of a deal. I’ve never taken a break from HI3 because skipping things really sets you back, and I can’t really deal with having another game like that on my play time. Also great to hear Topaz + Himeko performs well.

I had been searching a lot on what I missed while not playing and there was so much talk about meta and power levels that I wasn’t sure if the endgame had shifted to being (or always was) a big concern, so it’s good to have tempered that here.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Eej posted:

I play HI3 about 50/50 on phone and on PC with keyboard (WASD + IJKL like I'm playing on an SNES emulator). Allegedly gamepad is better but you don't actually need analog sticks for movement because the autoaim is much snappier and reliable than Genshin due to every fight happening mostly in a flat square room rather than potentially in any terrain like Genshin has. Evasion windows are very generous and you get a lot of slowdown effects that also give you a lot of leeway to do your combos although I think 0 second clears are a thing of the past. I have retained Nirvana tier Abyss (highest difficulty before you start approaching literal top 50 players on server) playing on phone so it's not a big deal.

I play only on phone these days. Even Genshin I haven’t played on pc lately, except sometimes for floor 12 runs, HSR on phone, PGR on phone (though that is a skill issue for me since I need a touchscreen for PGR mechanics vs controller).

All of these games look better on pc, and a gamepad feels great. I score better in HI3 when I play on pc. But for whatever reason, I just want to chill on the couch for these games and if I’m at the pc I want to play a so called “real” pc game. I used to sweatlord HI3 pretty hard, trying to maintain Nirvana, but now being comfortable and relaxed is higher priority I guess.

For genshin though I started playing on mobile when I had a bunch of story to catch up on. Mashing a button while sitting in a computer chair sucks compared to tapping a screen while I watch tv. The story bloat in that game is too absurd to give it total attention, which is what I consider pc gaming to be for me.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I ended up getting very lucky, yoloing Topaz’s LC in twenty pulls and then last night I decided might as well throw the pulls I had left into the character banner. Got a really early 5 star hoping for Topaz e1 but it was Welt.

Although I wanted the strongest Topaz I could end up with, back around launch I got Welt’s LC, and Yukons is my only IMG character. So all things considered I am pretty happy, with the only problem being a lack of materials now. I burned through all of the returner energy on dumb stuff like leveling up Herta so I’m wishing I had saved it. But after however long it will take to level up Welt, and finish Himeko traces along with the other things I was planning I think I’ll be on a decent spot despite missing by not playing during all of the crazy overtuned character banners.

Now I’m wondering though, is Silverwolf still worth getting? I really wanted her when she released, trying to get the HI3 characters, to the point I rage quit the whole game when I lost that 50/50, and now I have a guarantee so I feel like I should save it for someone that adds account value after going in pretty hard for Topaz. I saw that she “fell off”, that Bronya or Pela are better but it seemed hyperbolic - like she can’t be *bad* now right? I assume she is just being compared to waiting and pulling for the next really strong dps character considering how fast power is ramping up? Seems like she would fit well with Seele, and really flexible for other teams if I’m understanding correctly.

It’s that or Huohuo - I have Bailu and Natasha as my two healers but it seems like at some point Natasha will need replacing. Trying to use her while I can though since the game dumped so many dupes on me that’s she’s e6.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Eimi posted:

I enjoy having a team for each element, but yeah once I hit that point it's pulling because I love the character. Like I have Jingliu, do I need Yae Sakura? Yes yes I do because she's Yae Sakura. Ditto for every other Honkai char. If we get Fu Hua as a dps I am in danger.

They should just straight up bring Senti over to the HSR side of the Honkai universe. Devs seem to love her, players love her - it would print money and I’d go so hard on a Senti banner. But yeah if not, if Fu Hua arrives it’ll be good enough.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

My plan is to just keep rolling to see if I get a Topaz dupe before pity, and if not then 4 stars don’t matter because I’ll just be rolling for a five star. I have a guarantee, but I’m not sure it Silverwolf or Huohuo would benefit me more since I’m only just about to hit lvl 60 and start doing endgame builds. I have Bailu and her LC but my other healer is Natasha and although she’s e6 it’s obviously subpar. I wasn’t playing for the other two good healer banners, so Huohuo’s value seems high for me but I’ll just have to wait and see what people say after she’s out and decide on her vs. Silverwolf then with more information on hand. I failed the 50/50 when Silverwolf first ran and really wanted her but am still in the fence since having a guarantee is a nice spot to be in with my next character pickup.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Man, I just hit 60 and equilibrium lvl 5 and am intimidated by how much time it will take to get characters from 70 to 80 since I have a lot that I use. I had done most of the work getting them to 70 before I left in 1.2, so I don’t really remember the priority - am I right in assuming that I ascend my dps to 80 first? Should I do traces on that character first, or ascend all characters to 80 that I use and then do traces?

I’ve heard some characters benefit more at 80 too like Himeko, and Topaz + Himeko has been a ton of fun but I want to be smart about my progress. At least my relics are in a pretty good spot but I look forward to relic grinding eventually since I want to see how improved the drops are now. Hopefully the battle pass will help (I didn’t get this bp because I knew I couldn’t finish it in time, having returned to the game in the middle of this cycle).

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks - I actually forgot you can borrow friend units so that’s good to know about (I do t think I’ve ever done that before). I should probably raise Seele but more likely will raise Topaz first. She ended up a lot more invested than my Seele because she ended up being so cool, but I’ll sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

I’m definitely starting to lean more towards getting Huohuo over Silverwolf - the more I’m trying to make Natasha work on second teams the mkre issues I’m seeing, and with how content has scaled up after raising equilibrium level it seems even more obvious that I need someone better. I just wish I didn’t miss Luocha or had a crystal ball to know when he would be back, because he is good but also because Otto.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just wanted to double check and confirm - swarm disaster isn’t something like and event that will go away, right? I’ve been going through times things since returning to the game and completed the SU mode on the event page, and Artherium Wars (which I loved - extremely fun for me). I saw that old events are still there so started Aurum Alley (awesome to see they keep old events available, but out of everything I wasn’t quite sure if Swarm is something I need to prioritize or if it’s something I can complete over time considering all of the things to collect there.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Great - thanks to you both. It’s been really fun going through the different SU modes so I’m glad I don’t have to rush it.

I’ve been using Elation a lot since getting topaz - the amount of damage she can output for me with those buffs is absurd.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’m really looking forward to the new followup relic set - Topaz being this good now, she’s going to really be impressive. However I’m kind of dreading it, because my two musket two fire set has some good substats (for me) and substat fishing will directly compete with building more units (I only recently hit equilibrium 5).

A 2/2 relic setup was much easier to build substats and getting this new one as a 4 piece will be pain. However it will be interesting to see if a subpar substat new set will actually give higher dps than this better substat 2/2 setup.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Am I understanding correctly that Huohuo essentially condenses roles, making it so rather than a healer + Ting you just use Huohuo and have a free party slot? I was already pretty much decided that I’d use my guarantee for her, but I hadn’t really been paying attention to her kit until now; I was tempted to just wait for a Luocha rerun but this seems really nice if it’s how she works in team comps.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Looks like every banner through 1.6 is someone I want lol at least seeing no Luocha in the future means I can pull for Huohuo having no regrets - after seeing that trailer though I probably would have used my guarantee on her regardless of where he ended up being.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

He did the calculations.

I am really glad I got Huohuo - I am out of xp materials to raise her more but even at 60 I am seeing how insanely valuable she is for my account and she’s too cute on top of that.

I was planning on getting her weapon but I got four copies of Shared Feeling in the process, so stopped while I think about it. It seems like that weapon would be great for her with the energy it gives per skill use. I don’t know if maybe I should just keep my significantly advanced pity count on the weapon banner for the future, and focus on getting e1 instead? I have her using Bailu’s LC for now (sorry Bailu, you get the leftovers now) which is also good…abundance LCs really suffering from success with all of the good options.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The only reason I haven’t kept building Herta is because I hit Equilibrium 5 and needed to start raising my main party members. When I returned, I used a lot of the stamina they gave me on bringing her up to 60 with current traces and building a second erudition weapon.

She gets memed on so much but she isn’t that bad at all. I think people just look at her followup damage in a snapshot and write her off - her damage comes a lot from her ult too. I’ve seen videos where she’s invested and kicking rear end so I’m looking forward to getting her to 80 eventually. Though admittedly if I hear a character is “bad” and I still like them then I’ll build them - i mained Amber for a while in Genshin, though I did stop leveling her at 80 she also did much better than people say. I think Herta has more potential than her though.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Does anyone know who voices Cirrus (in English)? She does a great job but searching around I’m not able to find any info or credits.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Endorph posted:

its honestly not, that much dialog, compared to like, genshin or arknights events.

True, and the other difference is that I actually want to read and listen to the dialogue in this game (generally speaking since there were some slow points in the MSQ). It’s quite a contrast compared to making sure I have something else to do when I’m ready to plow through genshin dialogue so I don’t have to stare at the screen while I’m smashing the screen to advance as quickly as it allows. I’m curious if they just did this naturally when developing and writing everything or if they actively took Genshin’s major criticisms and tried to fix them for this game.

It kind of reminds me of when HI3 was at its best. I wanted to read it all, the flavor text was even entertaining and I would happily do it even if the currency reward carrot wasn’t being dangled. Like the social media interface this event cracks me up and I don’t get currency for reading all of that but I do anyways. The EN localization team and VAs did a great job.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Meowywitch posted:

https://x.com/honkaistarrail/status/1724809059696820269?s=20

The closest one is 40 miles away and I cant believe im gonna go

Well poo poo. Around 30 miles for me and I don’t even eat meat. I wonder if my daughter could eat two meals since she’s going to want those rewards too.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’ve been conflicted about Grand Duke for Topaz and have been waiting to see math posted on it since basic attacks apparently mess up its FUA buff, and one of the things I like with her is her SP positivity. If the new set means she has to only use her skill then I’ll probably be putting off that relic set for a while. I was hoping I could use it because then I could just pass over her artifacts to Himeko (they are my best substat rolls for anyone so far). I’ve also seen some weird stuff about how you have to optimize which Numby attack gets the max buff and planning that out constantly seems like a lot of work.

I guess mainly I’ll be waiting to see if no-braining it will still lead to higher damage than 2x fire 2x musket rather than counting every hit to make sure the last hit of every Numby attack is being maximized, and how important it will be overall for her to avoid basic attacks when using the new set.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Eimi posted:

So apparently the way it mechanically works is it resets whenever you make a follow up attack, adding atk boost as the attack stacks hits. Now this means that Numby's attack is getting a great boost and gets stronger as it goes on the last hit basically being fully boosted. For her NA it means she has no atk% boost. However, she's still getting a 20% damage boost which is pretty hefty compared to 10% dmg 12% atk. The follow up set is actually better in a lot of ways for a mixed attacker like Himeko. Triggering her talent stacks it and while she lacks the 10% fire damage boost, she's now making skill and ult hits with a bonus 48% atk.

Eej posted:

Guinevere : Logan Paul
Fyxestroll Garden : Aokigahara

Topaz's basic attacks do not mess up Numby's FUA buff because the stacks zero out at the start of every FUA so every Numby attack starts at 0 stacks no matter what

Thanks to both of you - that clears it up for me. If it is actually the case that the new set is best for Topaz *and* Himeko then rip to my existing set with the good substat rolls. Though in reality it’s going to take me a long time to farm even one proper four piece set, much less two so I guess it won’t be going away for a while.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Meowywitch posted:

I like how according to pryd the event lc isn't even good for Huohuo...

Her healing is already really good so it’s just that the extra healing on that LC is nowhere near as useful as something that gives energy (and/or other buffs), and there are a good number of abundance LCs that offer more than the event one.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I do wonder if Mihoyo is going to regret giving Yukong's daughter a generic model cause I do want more of her story and it'd be neat if she became playable. Though a mobile game taking a character with a generic model and making them playable with a better model is pretty common

I’d love if she became playable. They could do a glowup easily enough; like she could go to foxgirl pilot school and come back with some old style pilot goggles and a cool new hairstyle and outfit.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The boxcutter was from when “Mr. Tail” was a delusion/not a real entity and she would cut a motherfucker if anyone didn’t agree that her tail was actually alive and glowing.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

padijun posted:

This isn’t true. Natasha will ult as soon as someone crosses half hp

Same with Bailu.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

bagrada posted:

This game is anime, old men Welt and Oleg are probably 22.

Welt is like 80 years old but yeah in anime if you’re in your 30s you are a grizzled old man.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Guinafen is living alone after moving to the Xianzhou Luofu, which doesn't preclude her from being a minor but she's also friends with Sushang (who is old enough to serve in the Cloud Knights and move out of home) and Guinafen definitely offers to get alcohol with Sushang at least once.

Edit: Her personal story outright says she "passed all her teenage years" on the mining planet owned by the IPC that her family fled to after Camelot (her home planet) was destroyed by the Antimatter Legion.

More conflicting info between writers then I guess, since I also remember in the event her saying something about almost being an adult, implying whatever age in their society is our equivalent of like a 16 year old.

Honestly it’s whatever though. They can’t keep their ages straight and I think the character body model they choose for a character is probably a better metric for someone who’s into their characters (speaking as an outside there though at least for this game). Otherwise it’s just more arguments about how someone like Bailu is *actually* not a child or whatever the narrative is from those types.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

People spend a poo poo ton on genshin and the game is easy so I don’t see that whales being able to zero clear along with the game invested f2ps is going to change that. Abyss 12 being the only parallel, it’s not like you need c6, 5 star constellations etc at all to clear that content but whales still drop thousands.

I think demoralizing players with a difficulty increase isn’t really a positive thing but I’m also someone who is going to heavily feel the impact since I had left the game at the start of 1.2 and only came back towards the end of last patch. I’d rather see novel and creative ways for people to use their units over making heavier damage sponges (not sure if that’s exactly what they’ve done since I haven’t done it this week), and that goes for any game not just this one. It’s always the laziest way to make higher difficulty.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The emergency res is nice if things go south. But if they’re really going to go hard on needing cleanse then it will suck for her.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I was all ready to get e1 Huohuo, then thought I would save that 5 star pull for Bronie since I’d like to roll for 4 stars too. But drat Mei is looking too good now and I might just save my currency; stack it up for her, her LC and Dr. Ratio

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’m conflicted, because I want Hanya but I don’t particularly want Argenti and unsure about Silverwolf now.

If I don’t have Fu Xuan, and I missed Silverwolf’s four star event LC do you think I’ll regret it? I am thinking maybe roll for her LC to make sure I get it first and then roll on her banner without regrets. It will be a 50/50, but still even with it not being a guarantee I want both characters next patch. I’ve been building up Pela since returning (would love one more dupe though since she’s e4) and I don’t know how much value Silverwolf would add vs. just slotting Pela with Seele. Coming from HI3 I would like to get her purely from a character standpoint but idk, over time I have been feeling less and less resolved, and am at 55 pity so not room to gamble.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Eej posted:

SW's LC isn't even her best LC until she's E2+ so I wouldn't just burn a pity on it as a signpost for rolling the character.

Ah poo poo. It’s looking less and less like I should get SW. Sucks because I really wanted Hanya, and haven’t pulled for a while already since deciding I didn’t want Huohuo’s e1 over saving for a new character. I missed a good portion of the really powerful characters so I am not in a position to just get a 5 star because I like them. But good to know about the LC though - thanks.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I decided to get SW after all, or try to at least. I saw that without her 4 star LC that Luka’s is not bad on her, and having a subpar LC (having missed her 4 star) was one of my bigger concerns. In 2 ten pulls I got a Ting dupe making her e3, Hanya who I really wanted, Lynx who I didn’t have, and Silverwolf! Very happy since I was expecting another Himeko or Welt since those are my standard 50/50 losses.

So now since I don’t have Fu Xuan I can run Lynx with Seele and SW and I guess Pela would go well as a forth rather than Ting since SW and Pela pair well? I’m not sure because one reason I wanted SW too was to implant fire weakness and run with Topaz, but I don’t know if Fire Trailblazer can solo sustain so only having two fire units on that team might not be great. I suppose we will get a 5 star Fire sustain some day. I imagine that SW would fit better on a quantum team though; it will be an excuse to try to get my Seele better since Topaz is definitely the better built dps unit for me.

Now the main issue is how much time it’s going to take to get these units usable. And also Pela has been using Luka’s LC so I will have to think of some alternative if SW is going to use it. I’ll also have to figure out where to put Hanya too since I’m missing Argenti, Jing Yuan and DHIL who are the ones I read she goes best with.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’m losing my faith in HI3 so I will straight up go all in for Mei or any other HI3 characters they want to bring over to HSR. I need my trio + Ely. Plus Fu Hua. And Senti.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Anyone who might know, can Lynx be run as solo sustain in the current meta with a mono QUA team without issues? My SW is now up to a usable point of investment (though still needs more work) and I wasn’t playing when Fu Xuan released so don’t have her. I’ve been reading and searching and see that she is only comparable to Natasha which has me a bit concerned (though I never built her since I had Bailu, and then more recently Huohuo).

Also for the fourth slot, I was thinking Pela since she’s awesome and I hear she pairs great with SW. But considering sp economy does Hanya work well with Seele, or not as strong as Pela? I just got Hanya’s e1 which seems like it would work well with Seele since she’s often killing enemies and getting extra turns. But I’m not quite capable of end game meta yet, (though getting closer!) and with how scarce mats are having a number of new characters I don’t want to invest mats in a way I’ll regret.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I don’t have Bronya unfortunately (two Himekos, two Welts, Bailu and her LC so hopefully Bronya some day if it stops focusing on those characters), and don’t have her destruction pairings like Clara or Blade or whoever. Building her would be purely just with Seele and SW trying to do mono quantum with what I have. But if sp might be an issue then maybe Hanya actually would be preferable over Pela in that team. In any case it sounds like it could work with Lynx solo so thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get some Lynx dupes since I’m going to keep pulling.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Kind of a weird thing to lock as a launch gift. She’s helpful to a new player but not especially a cracked unit that will make people pull less or something.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I really enjoyed the Huohuo event too. I thought I would be cringing a lot at the twitter interface at first but it was more funny than anything else. The texts between the team were fun - I think it’s hard sometimes to have characters interact in a gacha. Like they either go to heavy and it’s always serious with no context for friendships, or it feels forced or something. But here although it was exaggerated it felt nice to see them all interact.

I liked the concept of the heliobi too, and actually sympathized more with them than the game probably wanted me too. Kind of a hosed up situation for them to have ended up the way they did, being sentient and all and pieces of a whole that were scattered apart fed on human emotions that they craved after being forced into that situation. Seemed like having them all used as an energy source before the event (if I understood correctly) was pretty messed up too, but no one seemed to mention having any issues with any of that I guess.

It’s nice to have story and text I’ll happily read and listen to that develops characters and world building. It must be hard to strike a balance in a live service game where content comes out so often.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i also appreciated that gwenivere's posting career feels like it's supposed to be viewed as a calculating capitalist venture

I liked when she ripped into that one fan who showed up and said bitch I am in this for the money and clout and only nice on stream gtfo - content creators should be more like Lil Gui

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Can fire TB solo sustain? I was thinking of how to get Silverwolf into a Topaz hypercarry team to brute force non fire content. Was thinking maybe Asta Topaz SW and Fire TB but mine isn’t high enough to really get a sense of how much damage she would mitigate as the only sustain unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Eej posted:

Use Lynx or Fu Xuan.

I don’t have Fu Xuan, but got Lynx this patch and have been building her for mono quantum. I was wondering about Fire TB so that SW would be the only quantum unit on the team, so that there would be a higher chance of implanting fire for Topaz. Some day we will get a fire healer or something I imagine.

Izzhov posted:

What Eej said, but if you don't have Lynx or FX and are desperate then Fire TB can technically solo sustain if you, (a) build her with a bunch of Effect Hit Rate so her taunt always works, and (b) use the extremely-bad-feeling but effective strategy of taunting almost every turn so she absorbs almost all the damage. Though this may not work if the opponent has a ton of AoE.

That sounds pretty sketchy. I still have a lot of character building to do since I got three characters this patch (maybe four if I’m lucky) so it’s not an immediate concern but was just curious.