Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Otto did nothing wrong

Otto is up there as one of the most pathetic characters I've seen in fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I did not expect Andrew Tate of all shitheads to photoshop a picture of Kiana from Honkai Impact 3rd next to him and post it on Twitter today.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

who the gently caress is andrew tate

A human trafficking piece of poo poo who was once a kickboxer and is now the head of a popular incel movement, preaching misogyny to millions of impressionable teenagers on the internet.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well drat, now what do I do now that I caught up with the current content. That never happened to me with 3rd and I dropped Genshin early on.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I got into Honkai Impact 3rd now that I finished the current content of Star Rail and am just doing dailies. So help me God.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gnome de plume posted:

I keep reading Tingyun as Tinygun

and all I know about HI3 is it starts with the main character kickflipping onto a fighter jet to catch a ride which made it seem pretty rad all other aspects aside

Kiana is extremely lesbian, her flirtations with Mei are about as subtle as a brick to the face. Ditto with the relationship between Bronya and Seele, which is explicitly romantic and they share a kiss in the manga.

Genshin and Star Rail are much more subtle in comparison.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's like, four het relationships in HI3 (K-423's parents, Welt and Tesla, Kevin and Dr MEI, uh..one more I'm forgetting totally) and despite his best efforts none of them involve Otto Apocalypse

That reminds me, Welt has a wife and kids right? Since Star Rail Welt is the same Welt as Honkai 3's Welt, they must be miserable without their dad around as he gallivants around the galaxy with some weirdos on a space train. They're gonna be so mad at him when he gets back to Earth.

boredsatellite posted:

the event being a taste of what you could do with silver wolf is funny

getting the quantum weakness on mobs while having seele was funny

Yeah I'm predicting Silver Wolf, Bronya, Seele and a Healer like Natasha would end up being a super broken combination. Maybe not terribly survivable but definitely a strong glass cannon combination.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 23, 2023

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I just noticed that Kafka's character model is a bit different when she's captured at the Luofu. Specifically, her eyes are different and her complexion is paler being able to see her without her makeup on or wearing contact lenses.

That's really neat attention to detail, most games wouldn't have thought of that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Herrscher_of_the_Sexual_Desire

Wow...

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

While I do hope that the core cast remains small, I also hope the cast of the old planets remain relevant and important to the story going forward too. Like not just filler content but like, Bronya and Seele and Natasha show up to save your rear end now that Jarilo-VI somehow managed to regain contact with the IPC and are getting relief, with their world rebuilding. Ditto with the Luofu once that content is finished. One of the things I am liking about HI3 is that characters remain revelant in some way, even when they get written out of the story they still cast a lasting shadow on the rest of the story that still affects the characters. It's why on some level I kinda appreciate that you're rolling for different forms and battle suits for the small cast of HI3 rather than brand new characters for the most part, with a few exceptions even if the gacha itself is infinitely more annoying than Genshin or Star Rail.

I think I'll feel a little colder towards Star Rail if it instead goes in a similar direction to Genshin where characters pretty much don't really exist out of events and cameos and a few minor scenes once you're done with that region's story and moved onto the next one. I got oddly attached to the cast of Jarilo-Vi and started to get attached to the cast of the Luofu too. It'd suck if they're one and done things outside of sidequests and events.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

IF Honkai is gonna give us an Adol then we need a Dogi as well!

This was my thought too, he looks like Adol.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xvNBXL8cLw

1.1 features overview in 15 mins

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://live.bilibili.com/27263119?broadcast_type=0&is_room_feed=1&spm_id_from=333.999.to_liveroom.0.click&live_from=86002

If you want the CN livestream, the EN livestream is delayed for a few hours.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

1st 1.1 banner: Silver Wolf, Dan Heng, Serval, Asta
2nd banner: Luocha, Yukong, Pela, Qingque

We get a free Yukong copy in 1.2 at least.

Free Nihility 4* light cone too. As well as 4 new story quests of Luocha, Bailu, Qanqing and Silver Wolf. Also 10 free gold tickets if you log in for 7 days consecutively. There's a Belobog museum opening up too, something like being able to rennovate it for rewards it looks like?

No PS4 or PS5 news though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wow uh... TL50 really is quite the jump huh. Can't see myself going much further outside of dailies from there.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Himeko being underwhelming just tracks with how underwhelming her battlesuits were in HI3 honestly.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Aliens do exist outside of the Luofu and Anti Matter Legion, since the arc of HI3 which details why Welt left Earth and is in space to begin with involved alien races.

It is odd that Star Rail mostly seems to have humans though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Eimi posted:

If anyone's giving a final lesson, it'll be Welt this game.

Definitely hope not. I enjoy the Team Dad dynamic he brings to the team of misfits on the Astral Express.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Eimi posted:

I sincerely hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, Welt is playing the role Himeko did in HI3, and he already has a lot of guilt about her situation and how he feels he failed her. Also he's straight. So like flying every death flag you can in the Honkai universe.

He died in HI3 and got better like, twice before. Maybe he can pull off a hat trick. Granted, he left his Herrscher core with Bronya so that might be significantly more difficult for him now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

It's not clear to me how widespread the Cancer of All Worlds is supposed to be. Maybe the idea is that whole swathes of the galaxy have been cut off from each other and haven't been in contact for hundreds or thousands of years?

Maybe Earth's known by a different name now. Maybe it's the Antimatter Legion's homeworld, and we'll be Planet-of-the-Apes-ing our way back there for the final chapter.

I fully expect Earth to be one of the last locations you visit in the game, probably 6+ years from now. Might even tie in with APHO 3 or something.

Tae posted:

Siegfried is straight and he's fine now

He totally had a gay crush on Welt because he's an Arahato fan fanboy though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah I was under the impression it's the same universe as HI3, just different worlds. Otherwise the Express is really jumping around in the Sea of Quanta, from one branch to the next.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Now I'm wondering why the game is called Honkai Star Rail, if the Honkai have absolutely nothing to do with anything in the game and it's a completely different universe from HI3. Because Genshin Impact I'm fairly certain is also part of the multiverse and that isn't named after the Honkai. Is it literally just because they're reusing character designs and names from HI3, plus Welt and not-Otto returning from HI3?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I wonder if Silver Wolf plays MiHoYo games, given she's said to be a hardcore gamer.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Hacker Bronya owning HI3 in the trailer was an A+ touch

Silver Wolf definitely has played Bronya's games.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Honestly if you told me that the devs were a bunch of megaweebs who care a lot more about the accuracy of Japanese translations over English ones and provided the JP team with a lot more guidance and resources I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

I mean... they are. miHoYo were literally founded by three computer science weebs from Shanghai Jiao Tong University, obsessed with anime, games and manga.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm pulling for Silver Wolf, Kafka, Blade and Luocha so I can have a villainous (?) team because it sounds cool.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Got Silver Wolf but had to get the 50/50 on her first. Now to build up my jade again.

Got like 5 Dan Heng's in the process though, too bad I don't really have the resources to use him.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah Silver Wolf is definitely doing a lot in my team composition. Feel bad that I more or less have to move Tingyun to my B team now, even though she's still really good. She's just a little too squishy.

Wonder if we'll ever get a playable Sirin in Star Rail?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Eimi posted:

I've said it before but my hope is that whenever the TB gets Imaginary, their hair will turn purple and Stelle is Sirin. She deserves to be the main character.

I mean, Sirin has been the protagonist of a Honkai game before, kinda.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Q4 this year for PS5 release. No sign of a PS4 release.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah Silver Wolf is really making things so much easier. Sorry Tingyun but being able to consistently break enemies is making battles go by faster than your powerful buffs. I think she'd only seem a tad disappointing if you already had Welt maybe? But I don't have him so it works.

Meowywitch posted:

by the way I don't think we have a honkai impact third thread but Sirin aka Kiana Kaslana K-423 is an epic character and I'd like to see her, or a take on her in this game

don't click that box if you're not finished with honkai 3rd's story btw, or if you care about experiencing the story yourself

Honestly love Sirin and her progression throughout 3rd, learning that her earlier ditzy personality was mostly her trying to make herself endearing to others since deep down she's a depressed lonely girl with a split personality that could wipe out humanity, who is self-sacrificial to a fault being raised as a Kaslana and needed to painfully learn that her life matters to her friends too.

I'd actually love to discuss 3rd more but yeah, this is the only Honkai related thread on the forums as far as I can tell.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

What is a Tycoon game doing in my JRPG gacha :lmao:

I got a good laugh at ruining Serval's resume.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Performance does seem a good bit better for me in 1.1 yeah. I also noticed some stuff that wasn't there before and little tweaks to attack animations and timings.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Excelzior posted:

Hook Pitch-Dark Hook the Great adding an incredible amount of time and appeal to the tours but providing no educational value whatsoever :allears:

Would honestly play a more fully fleshed out version of museum tycoon simulator. It's way more fun than I expected it to be.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

Sirin please.

This. Kiana too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kiavahr posted:

There's at least one other character from Welt's universe in this one, based on a line from Himeko on the Express.

"When we first met Welt, he and his friend were drifting through space. The Express saved the two of them."

No mention of who that friend might be though. Game is very good about using non-gendered pronouns for Aeons (plus pom-pom) and people it doesn't want you to know about yet.

I mean we know from the Alien Space manga for Honkai Impact 3 that this other friend was Void Archives. Which is partly why Luocha is so suspicious though from the leaks, he's another Silver Wolf in that he has absolutely nothing to do with Void Archives or Otto Apocalypse at all from what I understand?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Clarste posted:

I haven't played Honkai Impact, but my impression of the writing in both Genshin and Star Rail is that it's extremely "safe." Like, they have the bare minimum of characters and plot and whatnot, but fall short of actually having anything to say, a theme or a message they want to convey. Instead, the plots are just excuses to have a bunch of characters to sell you. For example the ending of the Bellabog arc where they had the chance to have even the barest minimum baby's first theme, but blew it at the last second to preserve the status quo.

...Maybe that sounds a little harsh, and I honestly I don't think it's awful, it's just... vanilla? This is the kind of basic fantasy story that a lot of people really love, and the characters are generally attractive or funny or whatever. It just has no desire whatsoever to be any more than that. And my guess is that all the craziness in the peripheries comes from the "unimportant" things beings assigned to lower level writers given a large degree of freedom.

Edit: It is also "safe" in that we're told repeatedly that the Stellaron Hunters are wanted criminals with huge bounties, but we haven't heard a single thing about any crimes they've committed that we might object to. So they can remain unobjectionable to sell in the gacha.

Genshin Impact and Star Rail do feel like they've had their edges sanded down, yeah. But apparently the Trails series was a big inspiration for Star Rail and that series has the exact same problems of having villains who aren't really villainous and if they were then they're just being controlled by an external abstract force so I'm not surprised.

It's funny because from everything I've read about Guns Girl Z (or Honkai Impact 2), that game was far too edgy to the point of being gross, Honkai Impact 3rd is about the right amount of edge, without feeling nihilistic and mean spirited, while Genshin Impact is a lot more light hearted twee and Star Rail is this weird mix of the two which so far, doesn't feel quite right in tone and feels like there were two different writing teams with different ideas on what Star Rail should be and it conflicts with each other. I'm hoping it smooths over and these are just early story pains. Even Genshin Impact and Honkai Impact had those!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The Stellaron Hunters are super criminals with massive bounties that Are Not To Be Trusted so we must always deal with them with crossed arms and accusatory tones but also like I dunno that's very "cool antihero" to me which is how they're being presented.

I mean, it's highly likely they're renegade heroes and not really true villains. From what I can gather, they're trying to fight fire with fire and use the Trailblazer to go gather the blessings of all the Aeons to become strong enough to take down Nanook, the Aeon of Destruction and the way the story seems to be going, the Trailblazer is likely going to ascend and replace Nanook, being a deity that doesn't poo poo Stellaron everywhere it can and command an army of nihilistic zealot aliens.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

I love my silly little museum tycoon simulator and my only problem with it is that the game keeps interrupting it with fetch quests on their big dumb overworld

Had a good laugh at messing up Seele's resume and then teasing her about her relationship with Bronya. I'm almost sad I finished up the museum minigame, once you've collected all exhibits and have all guest characters and get up to rank 5, you're locked out of continuing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kale posted:

Replying to a bit of an older post here, but it does have that Imaginary Tree concept where it sounds like a multiverse thing where different universes are represented as branches on the tree and the Honkai manifests as a sort of counter force to it and the Sea of Quanta's growth.

Yeah. The loading screens for Star Rail even mention the Imaginary Tree being a thing, so as much as people want Star Rail to be fully independent from HI3, that’s not really going to happen. Although, Genshin Impact is also theorized to be another universe on the Imaginary Tree, with a bunch of supporting evidence in HI3 for that.

GateOfD posted:

yolo spin with special rail tickets you got from the 7 days of log in.
got E1 silver wolf.

the temptation of trying to go for E2 begins

I’m at this point too… I understand that Silver Wolf at E2 basically changes her from being a debuffer, to a damage dealer with practically guaranteed debuffs right?

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 12, 2023