Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I actually find his ability to cleanse and dispel to be the most interesting part about him, along with him having a more ATK focus. Being able to have a lot of the more utility stuff all in one slot means you can go crazy with the rest. There are some things they do where you really really want the debuff off your character/want the buff off your enemy. Having one guy that can do both those things [Same turn, energy permitting] is neat. The fact he can heal, and his heals are mostly based off ATK, and his Ult is an AoE attack? That's all just bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Not So Fast posted:

I can't tell if I'm spectacularly lucky or unlucky that all three 5* drops i've gotten have been Clara.

That's pretty darn lucky. I went the other way where I rolled 10s on both banners and got loving Pela in both of them. The boosted one, fine, but even general? Then the next time I rolled I got Pela again. I was feeling....unluckily lucky? The next 10 roll though I got Himeko and *two* Hooks. It all evens out in the end.

My Pela is still at 4 Eidolons at this point. If I hit 5 or 6 I feel like I'm contractually obligated to try to use her for something.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Ah gently caress he has a pet, sort of? I might have to roll for him now. Hmmm, that would put me one away from a highly functional yet forbidden Dude Party.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

This is how I feel about Luocha, which makes me kinda :psyduck: to watch everyone going gaga apeshit over him.

He's boring twink wanna-be Goldlewis, what's so appealing about that? :confused:

Yeah, as was said: He's a perfect storm of Honkai ties, an underfilled role, and a very uncommon type. So lore plus new healer plus Imaginary.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

If he's heavily past-Honkai-game related, though, that clears a lot of it up.

He'd still be cooler if he beat people with said coffin though. :v:

There are a ton of characters that are alternate versions of Honkai characters here, but two actual Honkai characters showed up in this world. One is Welt, and the other is something called Void Archives. Which is a total rear end in a top hat that is the entire reason Welt is stuck in this reality, and also took over the clone of someone called Otto Apocalypse, who was a total rear end in a top hat responsible for like 90% of all terrible things in the Honkai universe.

Both of whom look exactly like Loucha. Which is a nickname Otto Apocalypse had. And so....is Loucha Void Archives, or is he just this realities version of Otto Apocalypse? Either way is something interesting for Honkai players/lore nerds.

Like how Welt has "Gravity" powers, but Honkai nerds go "Oh he's using the Star of Eden". Does it matter the majority of the player base? No, but it's a neat little fact.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Having got Himeko on the Seele roll and having put like 70 rolls into it since then I'm basically going to get whatever promoted 5 I want in like nine seconds.

The Honkai games are still gacha whore machines, but they are relatively fair and you can kind of ensure what you want without spending money if you are smart about it. That's what makes them effective. They only screw you a little bit, so it seems fine, so people are like "Eh I'll throw 5/10/20 bucks at it". This, in addition to the whales [There are always whales], prints them money.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Pulled JL, started using him and was like "Well he doesn't seem much better than Serval but he's still cool", realized I hadn't upgraded his traces yet. Man I don't even have gear that really suits him yet and he's still starting to get real, real crazy. I just wish I hadn't gotten him immediately after hitting Eqi 3 and blowing literally every single upgrade mat I had getting other people up. Oh well in 3 days he's going to be an insane badass. And now to begin saving literally every single jade for Loucha, and 5 star dude gang will be a reality.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Doing the math and realizing I'm going to get like half a pity 5 of rolls by the time Luo drops. Oh well, so it goes.

e: This is how they get you, isn't it?

Mulva fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 28, 2023

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Having randomly pulled a Welt out of the general banner, I have completed team 5* dudes. It is inferior to having a healer dude, but it's real and strong and my friend.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Slow/Freeze with Welt/Gepard led me to finding out there's an achievement for going 20 turns in a row without the enemy reacting. Needlessly to say, I kind of felt bad about that one.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Having won the 50/50 for Luocha, and thrown a few tens into the LC roll because why not I needed some more LCs, I may just throw random pulls into the banner to see if I can luck into another Luocha. That first Eidolon is a real nice bonus to his moveset.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I mean if his Ult crits and you aren't doing several thousand damage, he's not equipped right. Pretty much anyone stacked with ATK should be "Ok" at least damage. Just on pure math. He should be enough damage to help you whittle things down in a clear manner, not as strong as your real damage but enough to make a difference. Beyond that he's utility. You bring him to heal, to strip buffs from the enemy and strip debuffs from the party. If you manage to get any Eidolons you will notice his utility rapidly going up. That's what he is. He's support to make the rest of your party keep going. That rest of the party is where your damage should be coming from. Even an ATK focused utility is still utility.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Yeah, he adopted his clone.

Different Welt. Welt Yang adopted the clone of the real Welt, Welt Joyce. Welt Yang is actually called Joachim Nokianvirtanen. Joyce passed on his powers and name to Joachim as he was dying. And then "Welt" took his mothers last name because loving Nokianvirtanen stands out, you know? And then like a hundred years later he found a clone of Joyce and took the kid under his wing, as one does.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

haypliss posted:

And people give you weird looks, understandably. I'll continue to ignore these posts, but idk lore guys should keep it a bit more normal.

Nah man that poo poo is hilarious, and people getting worked up about dumb fantasy poo poo just makes it more fun to do.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Natasha is still really solid, so you can prioritize gearing Luo, but you don't have to stress in favor of just enjoying the game. Don't pull on LCs, you can manage with on the basic ones until a better one drops.

If you've taken a look at the release schedule going forward and do not give a poo poo, rolling on the LC banner can be worthwhile. Really, really good LCs are transformative. Like "double a character's effectiveness" good. Yeah, oooh ah everyone loves a new character. At a certain point though you have a ton of good characters for every role. I'm pretty sure I could make 3 full teams at this point of characters I love. Considering I can normally only rock 4 people, that is way more characters I love than I can ever regularly use.

Kefka is neat, but I'll probably skip her unless I come hilarious close to the 50/50 before she drops. Then I'll save up to be able to afford Dan 5*. Not because I need a new Destruction or anything, but because I rep the home team. I have everyone else, I refuse to not have him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
To be fair I do it myself. Every full page is 5 pulls, so I just see when the hell I pulled a 5* and how many pages that is in. I'm a little over 30 pulls out from my Luocha, so I'm nowhere near a pity. On the flip side there's 2 weeks until she drops, so that's plenty of time to get a bunch of pulls.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Walla posted:

3? I can easily do 4 and I'm mostly f2p. Right now I'm not using March, Dan, Trailblazer, Natasha, Tingyun, Asta, Yukong, Sampo, Arlan, Herta and Hook. Almost 3 additional teams.

Oh I could fill more slots, but I mean I can make a functional team that can survive all content 3 times solely out of characters I love. They've done a good job of making really interesting characters in most of the roles. The flip side of that is that I have like a ton of people fighting for each spot. Having more is fun, but it's just adding more people to the bench. I already have a ton of people fighting for slots in my second MoC team. Unless someone is so amazing they blow someone on my A team out of the water [Like Luocha does], or I really like their character, there's really just no reason to roll on anyone. Ever again. So Kefka is neat and I'd try for her if the 50/50 was basically already up, but I'm not dropping a fresh 90 chasing her. I wouldn't use her. Dan 5* I probably wouldn't use either, but I am required by Space Law to have the entire Express team. So I'd roll for him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Shield + Healer is for when SU is being a bitch and just not giving you the draws you need, or when you are facing something that hits like a truck a million times in a row, or when you are facing something that can just turn off characters with stuns or jails or whatever. When you absolutely, positively do not want to die no matter what.

It's mostly overkill, but when it's not it's the only thing keeping you alive.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Like there's also the issue of "What's the gimmick?". Remember that the point of the MC is that you *will* get them to E6. All the crazy poo poo other people can get as they get Eidolons, you *will* get. So is their Hunt just going to be "More damage", will it debuff, will it follow up, will it do something wilder? It's not just a question of "What's the role and what's the element". Dan Heng slows the enemy and speeds himself up. Sushang wants to go off on weakness broken enemies [And is a DPS that is Skill point neutral]. Seele wants to make a million attacks. Just infinite speed and constantly getting another turn. So that's the comparison, look at Seele at E6 and that is what the MC is competing against. I certainly don't think they'll be as good, but comparing the other two MCs I think they'll be worth calling a 5*.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Clarste posted:

We need to become the hero of the story at some point.

Why? It's the entire point of the Trailblazers. You travel to new places, you help people out, and then you move on. It's still their homes, their stories. You just play a part. Just like Belobog. We stopped things getting worse, stepped up in a big way when it mattered....but they still have a lot of work to do. We were an important part of that story, but just a part. And it goes on after us.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

wodin posted:

My theory is that the villain of the current arc (and probably the next one) is Elio - we'll get some dramatic twist where Kafka does something tragic and dramatic to fulfill Elio's orders that ends up giving the power of a Stellaron over to Elio, the other Stellaron Hunters will go 'wait WTF!? That wasn't the plan we were told', Elio will twirl his mustache and peace out, and then the Imbibitor will arrive/awaken to clean up the mess left behind.

Why would Elio give a poo poo about a single Stellaron? Like his power is total foreknowledge of all events, something that has shown to be more effective than the bitch computer version that the space Chinese have. We've seen people empowered by a Stellaron. We *are* people empowered by a Stellaron. What Elio has is a step up from that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

NeonPunk posted:

Nah, I don't think that Elio can predict the future. I suspect what he has is something similar to the stand Heaven's Door power.

Why?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's not the wildest possible thing that could happen. It'd be an interesting way to go with it, and there has to be some reason he's so good at what he does. My bet would be a follower of Terminus just to gently caress with the lore nerds in one more pointless way.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

"The IPC seems to be going against the Aeon's wishes what's with that" is flat-out text.

Ah, but the key part is how they phrase it. "This seems like it'd be against the Aeon but they have his support" is an invitation to consider what the IPC really does. What the Aeon does is more direct and fitting of a God. Preservation by literal separation on a galactic scale. What the IPC does is a bit more subtle, but it's the same idea. Preservation, by capitalistic assimilation and status quo. Things won't change if they are locked off in a closed environment, but they also won't change if all change is stifled from within.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

this is wubbaboo erasure

Correct.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

The 5* artifacts are really starting to pile up, but I'm hit with choice paralysis whenever I think about salvaging them because I'm worried about hidden gems turning to dust. How do I deal with this?

None of that poo poo matters, if it did you would have used it already. Having internalized that truth, turn it to nothing and move on.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Could be worse. I could start talking about FlyMe2TheMoon or Gun Girls Z and get crucified extra hard by the thread in talking about poo poo nobody cares about.

I mean it's one of the reasons they do little things like their flappy birds minigame here. FlyMe2TheMoon is what started their company.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

facepalmolive posted:

It doesn't help that they stuff their games to the brim with half-sensical edgy apocalyptic mumbo jumbo.

Counter-point: "Stellaron, the Cancer of All Worlds" is an amazing thing to see like nine seconds into Star Rail.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Luocha got me to get rid of Gepard [Mind you, my Gepard also has his 5* LC] just so I could mix it up a bit, because his reactive heal is enough to keep me alive no matter how lovely things get. It lets me throw more damage in there and use the Fireblazer as the only defensive support if needed. I can hold his Ult to get something off the boss/mobs that I really don't want them to have, or I can actively heal to cleanse something lovely off people. Mostly it's just blow the Ult whenever and constantly be attacking. Because his heal is based on ATK, his ATK is stacked. I think I'm at like 3K now? And I could definitely go higher. He's not even ascended 70 yet. Just regular 70.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Really all I'm hoping for at this point is that the inevitable Huntblazer is solid DPS and not Wind.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Coasters on point.

Having a chance to feel him in game a bit, all I can say is I really want New Dan. Is he optimal for what I'm doing right this second, no, but I just love doing a million attacks. Making him the robot for this fight was also a nice way to put him over.

I will say that one thing that felt weird about the fight is how it seemed tailored for Dan. It's a bunch of flowers that when you pop them give you SP. It seems like the sort of place where he, specifically, would absolutely clean up.....but they made him the robot. Rather than the General, whose thing is summoning a giant magic robot thing. Odd choice, but I dug his R move so I'll take it.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 19, 2023

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
In the first story ending fight for this game, they gave you a robot move on R to assist in blowing poo poo up. In this fight, something else takes the place of the robot.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

nah that had dramatic final boss energy for sure

they'll tidy up the loose end bits after feeling out feedback on how to finish certain characters before breadcrumbing the next zone for the next big update five months from now

I won't believe the story is wrapped up until we class change.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I mean the story isn't done yet, one way or the other. Even if this is the end fight for this zone, there's still the actual story wrap up to go. Until we train up and move on, we haven't finished yet.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Eimi posted:

As bruisers all the destro chars do have lower speed.

It hurts more because while Jarillo wasn't as good as the best of Honkai it was the beginning and it was a HELL of a good beginning. I was there for every moment of that ride. It's just both parts of the Xianzhou arc that don't land. I don't know why when Jarillo was so good, but the contrast definitely makes them feel weaker.

Jarillo is a straightforward story of a world on the brink, and most of the cast is a bunch of heroes trying to keep hope alive. Easy as hell to get invested. Space China is a bunch of mopey immortals fighting amongst themselves, and it's hard to give a poo poo. Like objectively the cult running around forcibly turning people into monsters is pretty bad, but if you just gave them the tree and let them gently caress off would.....anything, anywhere be impacted? No? Then it's hard to care about the stakes. Last minute Antimatter Legion showing up is last minute. Most of the cast in Space China is functionaries. People doing their job. Not even their super important jobs. Their boring jobs. And some of them are cool characters, but it's not the best stakes setter.

I think of it like Liyue in Genshin. It just didn't hit as hard as Mondstadt, it didn't have a coherent story, and it just sort of happened. It's just "Lets go to fantasy China", and we did, and then we moved on. Lets just hope we don't go to space Japan next.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

Stop spending money, you dorks

You should spend a little money, if you feel like a game has developed good value for the time you put into it and you have a little money. Like get a battle pass if you filled it out or the 5 buck a month thing once or twice.

Don't whale, never whale.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Genovera posted:

Even though I've had fun with the game I still can't get over what terrible value for money gachas are compared to other games. I honestly think I'd stress out about using my resources if I knew I'd paid for some of them, like it would make the game less fun for me.

Totally cool, it's not like it's some requirement. If you don't have the money, if you don't want to support gacha in general, if you don't think it's quite cleared the hurdle of fun for giving them some bucks? All entirely fair reasons to not slip a dollar their way.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

It's been said, but you aren't supporting a good dev for making a good game, you're supporting a casino that psychologically pressured you into spending cash.

I respect hustle, so I have no problem with that either. On balance I don't know what the most horrifically abusive of all the games specifically is [I want to say....CS:Go? Because you can sell the things you get on the market. Short of selling accounts, which happens, most of the poo poo you roll on is just for you in these gachas. CS:Go knives can go for "Cheap car" money, gets people to do stupid things to try and get them. It's more visceral when you could get something practical out of it. And if not them Fortnite of course, because of it tripling down on targeting children], but the entire field is basically psychological warfare to break your will and trigger the addiction centers of your brain.

Absolutely. It is at best amoral bottom line capitalism, and at worst immorally taking advantage of psychological damage to make a buck.

But fun is fun. If you have the money, and if you had a bunch of fun for a long time, and if you don't have a moral objection to gambling companies, and if if if if.....a whole lot of ifs. Yeah it's fine to give a company a few bucks. There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, never has been, now we move on. Support people who make things you think are good if you can. If you don't think it's "Good" or you can't, don't.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Clarste posted:

I suppose ultimately the point is that the enemy needed to be Destruction the give the Xianzhou a reason to help kill Nanook, but that feels like starting from the conclusion and working backwards.

Starting from the conclusion and working backwards is, ironically, one of the Aeons in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The side stuff is pretty great, and you have to do the main story to unlock a bunch of it. Like I don't give a poo poo about this Stellaron nonsense, I'm getting the companion quest baby!