Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ytlaya posted:

This one is a bit beyond normal abstraction of this nature, though, because it's not just "character returns to place to do a quest," but explicitly says "character returned to this place to get a thing and then brought it back."

Also the Star Rail itself is some weird thing created by an Aeon, so for all I know it might actually be possible to make relatively quick trips between locations on it, once they've already been visited.

Aren't the stellar anchors the in universe explanation. A Trailblazer of the Star Rail activates them and then they're connected back to the Train for Trailblazers to use to hop to and from a planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

This was also my assumption, but Silver Wolf sent you messages directly IIRC and I don't see why Kafka would give a poo poo about being anonymous. And the tone seems sort of different from what I'd expect from her.

Plausible deniability in case the authorities/Train ask who you are talking to.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Endorph posted:

note that if you taunt and *then* the gorilla targets someone hell still target that person, not fmc, im pretty sure

I am almost certain that the taunt works properly against the gorilla no matter who uses their skill last. Since I did it just the other day against the Gorilla that guards a treasure chest during the story run through the Alchemy Commission.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

UHD posted:

that's a lot of detail to leave out of the main story quests, but I think if they tried to cram all that in the already bad pacing would be even worse.

and they'd have no time for flashy cutscenes where General Hair gets to be cool.

Also there's a crisis for most of the main story quests that reduces time for unrelated exposition. This stuff might be in the next MSQ stuff. Since they're showing the dragon heritage in trailers and Dan Feng/Dan Heng in chains.

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I think they needed to put some of it because as it stands the main story is nearly incomprehensible without this added context.

It seemed pretty comprehensible to me. Dan Heng has some unspecified crime that led to his exile from this place. This is tied into some sort of history specifically with Blade. Blade wants Dan to remember his prior incarnation who actually performed the crime, and the Dragon People having cyclical reincarnation but no memories is explained which details just what is going on with Dan Heng not remembering his crime.

You don't need to know what the crime actually was, because it is unrelated to what is happening now. Which is Dan Heng is being tortured and punished and persecuted for the actions of someone who isn't him. Which is bullshit.

That's actually kind of part of the point, Dam Heng is not his prior incarnations, he doesn't want to remember his prior incarnations actions. He wants to be his own person and not persecuted for things he never even did. He only embraces the prior incarnation because it is the only way to save people.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 29, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Symphoric posted:

But Blade is supposed to be a regular human, right? How did he live long enough to even become Mara-struck?

Presumably whatever Dan Feng's crime was is related to this. Blade is immortal at this point and apparently impossible to kill as well.

Also short lived species can become Mara Struck it is just extremely rare (and it isn't actually outright related to the immortality gifted by the aeon of abundance since the Dragon People can get it and they're immortal due to being the children of the aeon of permanence. The Alchemists can even force people to become mara/stricken so it isn't even related to how long you live specifically.

Supposedly it's a madness caused by lacking the mental capacity for all the memories you gain over a long enough life and too many negative memories accumulated makes you become dangerous and mutate. Blade being killed 1000 times has left him with such an accumulation of negative memories that it has made him Mara-stricken (and Kafka being able to remove/suppress those memories with her verbal mind control is what keeps him sane being on the laofu is making him remember things she has already "removed").

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

GoodluckJonathan posted:

For me the crime is important because it informs whether I should care that DH essentially "cheated" his sentence. He says he's not DF, but he has flashes of memory, and some sort of DF related superpower. Who is to say he won't continue to regain those memories? Who is to say this wasn't his intention to begin with? It's all very fuzzy.

Because he didn't cheat his sentence, he was imprisoned from birth for the crimes of Dan Feng after Dan Feng was executed for them, and then he was further exiled for them. Everything that has happened to Dan Heng for the crimes of his past self is bullshit.

You should care that Dan Heng could be killed for a crime he never committed, even if he remembers Dan Feng's actions they aren't the same person. Which is something all the Dragon People reiterate when you discuss their reincarnation process. The elders can choose to regain their memories through some process, but otherwise do not same as every other Vidyahara.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 29, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Sounds a bit too convenient!(I'm mostly joking)

It's actually really inconvenient, I did the quest for the Vidyahara man who is in love with another long lived species and she has dated his last 4 incarnations or something. Each of them loves her yes, but only because they hold onto a symbol of that love whilst reincarnating, and none of them know that they were the prior lover she had, so they're jealous of their past self's unique skills rather than embracing their own new ones unaware they hate their past self for stealing the love of their life from them. Said love also no longer can find joy in romance.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Luofu has a really good story told in the most baffling way possible, is what it comes down to. How invested you are in reading the ingame books and paying attention to the lore correlates with how much you'll like the Luofu story.

I feel like the main story works on its own, yeah you're left with a lot of detail questions but you get the overall major plot, and the side quests flesh out the details to inform the main story actions as far as general knowledge. The reading is only for really digging into the history of the situation rather then the here and now priorities.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Clarste posted:

Do the books explain why Phantyllia is a good villain and not just someone who shows up out of nowhere to eliminate all complexity in character motivations by turning it into "stop the evil destructo-villain who hates puppies and happiness"?

The fight between the abundance and the hunt only serves destruction in the end and will continue to do so and as such a better solution must be found for people not absolutely locked into their beliefs like the Aeons are? Phantylia isn't complex because she was twisting a complex situation towards the only possible result if the Laofu continues its mad hunt and self-destructive hatred of the Abundance.

As far as thematic resonance (datamined stuff) The Trailblazer will help achieve harmony amongst the Laofu in some manner, ending their internal divide.

Basically all the complex motivations still exist because the situation that caused them is still around, Phantyllia was just a big thing for us to fight that resonates with the thematic point (the Laofu is destroying itself with the Hunt vs Abundance). Phantyllia was using an existing divide/situation/danger to destroy the Laofu until she could no longer wait and her plan was about to fail (because the Abundance Alchemists lost and directly asked for her help).

Edit: It is even outright said that she prefers to help societies destroy themselves via manipulating pre-existing conflicts to become ever more violent and harmful. Which requires a pre-existing conflict (Abundance vs Hunt and the way it has shaped the history of the Laofu) and even though Phantylia was stopped the existing conflict remains (and a new one has arisen, because Dan Heng is still exiled from the ship and broke that).

Edit 2: Phantylia would not have done what she did if the Abundance Alchemist leader hadn't hosed up and revealed she existed, said leader believing themselves to be in an equal mutual partnership/agreement, rather than the reality that Phantylia was using their existing strife with the Laofu Majority to make the conflict become terminal for their whole ship.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 29, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

NeonPunk posted:

Can we even really say that Silver Wolf is even bad? She's just a hacker. A very extremely powerful hacker, but still just a hacker who love playing video games.

That makes her a gamer, the worst of all kinds of people.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Meowywitch posted:

I was about to say calling Silver Wolf a sociopath was a bit much, but thinking further at the amount of layered and types of sociopaths there can be, and I actually think you're right maybe

She lacks basic empathy at minimum, or at least is very good at turning it off. Her sole interest is her own pleasure/enjoyment as defined by her embracing the Punklorde Mentality.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm pretty sure March 7th "boosted" form (like DHIL) is going to be Quantum based. Since "quantum locked" feels like the next step past freezing people in place as far as debuffs go? Also just the way her past is presented as a total flux that she shouldn't think about too hard feels sort of Quantum observation themed.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Lynx is good and cute, the 16 is definitely an error because Lynx herself talks about being an adult even if the intent is Pela and Lynx are the same age.

I also like Natasha, so I might just. Give up on Bailu as a healer since I never feel like I know how to use her compared to the very straightforward Natasha and direct upgrade Lynx.

Now if only I had a Gepard for Landau team.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Clarste posted:

You use Bailu in exactly the same way you use Natasha (except without the status cleansing). The exact effects of her skills are different but the use-cases are exactly the same.

I figured, Bailu just feels less effective (probably a relic issue admittedly). Also I think I have a few Natasha Eidolons?

I like the raw "pick this person up to full" that Natasha provides, whereas half the time Bailu is the one who dies first so her free revive doesn't do anything and her random bounce heal feels less useful even if it probably is strong enough.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Relic farming continues to feel like the least enjoyable part of this whole experience then I guess :(.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kyrosiris posted:

Or just yoink Nat's gear and throw it on Bailu.

I put Nat's gear on Lynx. I like her more than either of the other abundance I have and they all seem interchangeable (with differeng effectiveness) based on this discussion. I just was hoping I was thinking about Bailu wrong somehow instead of it being a raw stats issue (the least interesting part of this game as mentioned). I wanted two abundance characters because I'm bad at the game I'm pretty sure so they remove pain points whilst working out the level 60+ content that I'm just unlocking now after dropping for a few weeks after the last story patch.

Really wish I'd gotten Loucha, he seems way more powerful/interesting for how I like to play (part of why I like Nat is I feel safer attacking with her than Bailu because her heal is so strong on low health allies).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 27, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah, that tracks. I've never felt Bailu is underpowered to be clear, but I'd focused on Nat and got more used to how potent one big gauranteed heal is vs the random bounce maybe not getting who I need up off the floor. But also as noted early Bailu feels like she dies (even when she's the highest health on a team) first a whole lot.

I'm probably just really bad at using Abundance characters.

Edit: It does not help that I like to attack with the Abundance characters a lot more than maybe I should (i'm always on way too many or way too few skillpoints it feels), at which point Quantum and Physical feel more generally applicable than lightning (and if I do need Lightning I've been maxing my Serval anyway).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 27, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Genovera posted:

Yeah you just need to have two sets of gear if you're going to use two healers to have one on each side of Forgotten Hall/MoC. Bailu, Natasha, and Lynx all want the same relics so you can swap them around later if you want to.

If Bailu is dying first it sounds like she's using unleveled relics. The relics don't need to be optimal or even particularly good, but they do absolutely need to be leveled to at least 12. Remember that if you feed a leveled relic to another relic it'll give it a nice big chunk of exp so just use your relic exp if you're not.

Honestly I thought I had levelled the relics enough, Bailu and Natasha had about the same HP and stats but I might have been not paying attention properly. I know about the levelled relic thing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Eimi posted:

Are their traces roughly the same? Also if one has spd boots vs hp% boots, the one with spd will generally feel better.

Ahhh, natasha is 2 higher across the board and has two Eidolons compared to Bailu, which is probably where a lot of the difference was.

Edit: I didn't realise how much extra I'd put into Natasha until reviewing it just now, I really did focus on her over Bailu more than I thought, but that's partially because initial experience before I'd gotten to levelling was "Natashas is reliable, Bailu is maybe stronger but I don't like three semi-random small heals compared to one big definite heal). So I probably just, made Bailu worse and worse without realising when I thought I was keeping them equal due to initial experience being slightly poor.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I want him because he's pretty, but I do already have E6 Serval as an aoe damage dealer and she's so very cool.

Also, he's in the Swarm Disaster/Simulated Universe in one of the events, but I don't know if he's anywhere else in the actual game as far as being mentioned?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The difference between destruction aoe and erudition aoe is actually that destruction "always" pays to aoe, whereas Erudition gets it for free (and can pay for it if they like).

Sure they sometimes require a little setup. But Himeko's auto aoe when enough stamina breaks occur, Herta spinning, Serval hitting everyone with her basic attack if they have a shock debuff from her. Qingque can get lucky and not need to draw on her turn.

Jing Yuan's lightning lord is also "free".

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 11, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Bussamove posted:

Why in the good goddamn is Sampo not on the list of Belobog 4* I can choose from this is bullshit.

He's from space, obviously.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I hope we fight/friend anime Ned Kelly on Penaconey. Not even spoiled on anything and it probably won't happen but still.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm pretty sure everyone relevant (read unique model) has weird eyes in one way or another?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Futaba Anzu posted:

what's wrong with your currency

Nothing, people just give us lovely pricing knockups (also it is technically around 0.60 US Cents = 1 AU Dollar as a standard exchange rate pretty consistently).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I think I've settled on my final pokeclone team.

Auramaton Overlord (because he's super versatile and attacks a bunch), Support Gunner (because you can pair him to the Auramaton Overlord and it's a nutso amount of attacks), Lightning Wolf (as the target for the Support Gunner's ult, and even more free attacks, plus it's the highest damage aberration I can field with synergy for dots), Bubbles the Warp Trotter (Best Healer option).

In terms of chips a lot of the attack boost stuff for the 3 attackers, the windshear one for Auramaton, buff removal on the wolf. Bubbles is full tanking/healing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It's likely because a big deal is made that Blade and Dan Heng's whole situation has been broken and destroyed by their actions and choices. They're no longer together and the story is pretty clear they likely will never be able to repair whatever they had before.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Draga posted:

Man, Asta's Pokemon just keep curbstomping me and I have no idea how to deal with her.

EDIT: And right after posting that I beat her by by the skin of my teeth. That Trampler just kept getting extra turns.

Kill the Trampler first, it gets an extra turn every time any unit (yours or hers) dies. Either that or CC it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Meowywitch posted:

ughhhh I accidentally turned off 2x again, it's so disgusting (dont recommend)

It's cool for story fights but also it is shockingly slow feeling at times.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kanos posted:

You could make a pretty decent argument that Cocolia's leadership was what introduced instability to the society, given that they had held out for centuries and she was the first one to jam the wedge of "well actually undergrounders are an inferior labor caste who need to be imprisoned" into the mix. Hell, you could also make the argument that making the decision to lionize Cocolia and say "well actually it was an unfortunate but totally necessary decision to condemn half of the populace to a slow death in a shantytown next to the geomarrow mines while the rest of sat up here in the comparative plenty" would serve to antagonize the reintegrating undergrounders just as much as saying "Cocolia was an awful piece of poo poo" would antagonize her political allies.

The problem is that Cocolia inherited an already slowly dying world and thought the Stellaron was the only way to save Belobog, and the literal will of all the guardians who come before her doesn't blame her. Plus in the end she does in fact, sacrifice herself to contain the Stellaron's final gambit (that's what the sphere around her when she explodes is, she knows the Stellaron is about to explode to take out Bronya and is finally herself enough again to contain it with her dying act).

It's not like the topside was actually experiencing plenty, they were dying and losing ground and suffering too, Cocolia was sending her own men out to die (Gepard's went to her about it and she told him it was necessary) and "evolve" into what she believed the next step for Belobog was.

The big difference is that we have the entirety of the Underground Leadership on our side, and Cocolia is dead and they've been told that the underground is no longer sealed. They had more direct issues with Svarog, since he was enforcing the decision for them to be kept underground a lot harsher than the Silvermane Guard were. (Because he calculated everyone on the surface was going to die, and the underground was the best place to protect the remaining population).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Danakir posted:

Where do we learn that fact? I had no idea.

It's admittedly implied more than said, but she clearly "returns to herself" (smiling at Bronya) right before exploding and the containment shield doesn't otherwise have a clear origin. People warn Bronya to stand back but nobody actually stops her or has yellow construction powers, Cocolia does and whatever was left of her human self in the madness of the Stellaron still loved and wanted Bronya to survive/rule (You were to be the mother of the new world).

Between all this, at least to me it seemed clear that Cocolia's dying act was containing the Stellaron explosion that would have destroyed the battlefield. Think back to when the Trailblazer nearly exploded themselves as they died protecting Stelle until Welt pacified them and they were healed.

Edit: The Shield looks like her creation powers, and nobody else has such powers on that mountain. There's no reason for the Stellaron to contain its own explosion, so process of elimination Cocolia protected Bronya from her own explosive death. She says the Stellaron within her will engulf everything as she curls up around it as if to contain it physically. Also the containment disappears when she dies, which suggests she was the one maintaining it, since another character likely wouldn't be as precisely timed. I might be over-reading the scene admittedly.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 24, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Meowywitch posted:

Well I also have no idea how big Penacony is, I was just imagining like... a pretty linear panopticon or something

It's a prison/convict planet turned paradise by the Harmony Family.

So it's Space Australia but less awful.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Meowywitch posted:

have you never been a kid bro??? never trespassed at a graveyard at night?

remember shes like 17

Some people really dislike seeing dumb teenagers do dumb teenager things (or young adults doing dumb teenage things as the case may be).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

Sampo is necessary for me to max two of the three barrel shoot challenges, due to his ranged AoE technique. With him + Fu Xuan (or Asta as 4* alternative) I can get all barrels for all the maps. The only one I sometimes fail is the Luofu one, where I miss a barrel with one of Sampo's techniques.

The trotters are always a crapshoot - if I get lucky with thei clustering I can get the max rewards.

Sampo's technique is super good for the Trotters. The range on the stun is absolutely gigantic and he attacks fast as poo poo.

My first full clear was literally just Sampo tossing stun grenades and knifing them all between stuns.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Gearman posted:

drat, that Jingliu tech is amazing. Sounds like Space Station is just extra difficult for everyone.

The only issue with Jingliu is that her technique has a pretty long animation imo.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

rio posted:

The boxcutter was from when “Mr. Tail” was a delusion/not a real entity and she would cut a motherfucker if anyone didn’t agree that her tail was actually alive and glowing.

If this is true, Mr Tail being real is much better than that. Although that isn't bad.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Clarste posted:

Honestly a little weird that she's a healer considering nothing in her story really implies that. As opposed to a more offensive oriented exorcism magic kit.

A lot of her healing is sort of passive to be fair, the actual skill starts with "dispell a debuff" and the heal is sort of secondary, and her ult is empowering others to fight harder. Her talent is scaring overworld enemies. She's actually a really offensive Abundance design, it's just that in terms of offensive Abundance designs Luocha exists.

Because of how her heal actually functions, she's sort of meant to attack pretty often until you really need the heal (and she's the only healer whose ult cannot save a low health unit via interrupt)?

Also whilst obviously getting her Eidolons isn't realistic, they are intended to reduce the amount of turns she's healing people, between making her trait last an extra turn and improve ally speed, having a pretty hefty low health heal boost (so you can take longer to heal), and finally just straight up adding 50% attack to anyone she heals via her skill.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Guinafen is living alone after moving to the Xianzhou Luofu, which doesn't preclude her from being a minor but she's also friends with Sushang (who is old enough to serve in the Cloud Knights and move out of home) and Guinafen definitely offers to get alcohol with Sushang at least once.

Edit: Her personal story outright says she "passed all her teenage years" on the mining planet owned by the IPC that her family fled to after Camelot (her home planet) was destroyed by the Antimatter Legion.

Editx2: Sushang is clearly the Arthur to Guinafen's Guinevere.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 27, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

rio posted:

More conflicting info between writers then I guess, since I also remember in the event her saying something about almost being an adult, implying whatever age in their society is our equivalent of like a 16 year old.

Honestly it’s whatever though. They can’t keep their ages straight and I think the character body model they choose for a character is probably a better metric for someone who’s into their characters (speaking as an outside there though at least for this game). Otherwise it’s just more arguments about how someone like Bailu is *actually* not a child or whatever the narrative is from those types.

She could be 20, since in some cultures 21 is "adult" (because you can start drinking alcohol/drive) but also I'm pretty sure Sushang and Guin mention drinking somewhere anyway.

I also don't remember that line from the event admittedly.

But also if it's specific to the Xianzhou, they're all immortals so they probably have a skewed view of maturity/adulthood. At least in universe a lot of people think Guinaifen is attractive (from the comments on her social media posts). Stelle/Caelus too actually.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Sushang is "courting age" in the letter from her mother, for what it's worth. Also she's a military (police)woman but as shown in the Huohuo story the Xianzhou Luofu does train and employ children(?) in dangerous and potentially combat involved duties. Huohuo herself is a judge-in-training and definitely not an adult for example and the spiritfairers are very young too I think?