Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I'm looking forward to playing this game like I played Genshin: obsessively for a month and a half, waste $60 to get a busted 5 star (Ganyu), and then immediately quit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

It’s refreshing getting to play somethin that’s like genshin but where I have no clue what’s going or where my resources should be going yet. Sure I’ll make a lot of mistakes but that’s part of the experience.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Not sure if there's a better place to list this stuff but there are 5 working codes right now in total. Haven't seen the fourth one passed around yet.

1st Code: HSRGRANDOPEN1

Rewards: Stellar Jade x100, Credits x5000

2nd Code: HSRGRANDOPEN2

Rewards: Stellar Jade x100, Traveler's Guide x5

3rd Code: HSRGRANDOPEN3

Rewards: Stellar Jade x100, Refined Aether x4

4th Code: HSRVER10XEDLFE

Rewards: Stellar Jade x50, Traveler's Guide x2, Bottled Soda x5 & Credit x10000

5th Code: STARRAILGIFT

Rewards: Stellar Jade x50 & Credit x10000

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Substandard posted:

I'm really enjoying the game so far. I've pulled Serval (who is my fav.), Asta, Natasha (who I pulled 2 of and still have not unlocked the freebie), Pela and Qingque. I've still got one more starter banner to pull to get my guaranteed 5 star but I'm waiting to get some more tickets to avoid using crystals on the standard banner.

I'm assuming like Genshin you have to run 2 teams at some point, so I'm thinking I'll probably have to build up both March 7th for Shields and Natasha for heals unless I happen upon the other healer for my 5-star.

The turn based combat is pretty fun and I'm enjoying the setting so far. I bought the $5 monthly thing because I'm a sucker, so hopefully it keeps me engaged and logging in for long enough to make it worthwhile.

The $5 daily login bonus thing is basically the only thing I'd suggest anyone spend money on in this game. Maybe the battle pass if you stick around long enough to hit max level. Spending money in Genshin felt pointless a lot of the time and I derived a lot more satisfaction making jank teams out of what came to me naturally than whaling out for OP units.

Also remember that the game is going to be VERY generous for the first month or so that you play before you start hitting the higher Trailblazer levels and progression slows down. Early Genshin hands out enough that you can regularly do 10 pulls, but once you've run through a lot of the beginner stuff and you aren't gaining multiple adventure ranks every day, you're lucky to get enough currency to even get one gacha pull a day. If the game starts feeling like a tedious grind and you start feeling more inclined to open your wallet, time to quit.

house of the dad fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 26, 2023

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Yeah, I can't see the gacha model going anywhere anytime soon, but I would personally like to see some regulation to at least try and protect the kind of person who will get addicted to this and blow $20k. I know this model is created entirely to entice that kind of person, but there really should be a legislated cap on how much money you can take from people before you just have to go "congratulations on spending $5k. You can't spend any more and everything is unlocked for you from now on."

edit: already realizing how insane it is that I consider a $5k limit on this to be a "compromise"

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Aside from a couple cones that give you bonuses for having multiple characters of the same element, it doesn't seem like there's any incentive to stack. I could see it for things like Forgotten Hall to break elites and bosses more regularly, but for general story stuff you'll probably just want a spread. It's kind of a shame because team comps don't feel quite as intricate as they did in Genshin with element mixing effects and things like that.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Well, got Bronya from starter banner and won the 50/50 to get Seele. I can finally quit the game now.

house of the dad fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 30, 2023

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Endorph posted:

well after reading his post about me ive decided he is an uncharismatic pedant

You're acting kind of like a self-centered brat and probably should chill out a little bit. Nobody's obsessed with you. You're exacerbating your own problem.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there any harm in freely leveling up any character I am interested in running with? Level up materials in Genshin were never scarce and I get the feeling it is the same here.

Only harm I can think of is if you’re a max efficiency kind of gamer and having to grind calyxes for a few additional days will make you sad or something. Only resource I’d be kind of careful with is if there are weekly boss materials for leveling up traces, since those can be a real pain to get if you end up needing a bunch at once.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I meant to get started in the game this past weekend but I was moving and it ended up taking far longer than expected. Are there any significant things to know before starting?

Only thing I'd really prioritize is getting Trailblazer Power unlocked as quickly as possible and then spend it every day. The pace of the rest of the game feels fairly laid back to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

MechaX posted:

Been playing on and off at a slow pace (just hit a quest wall that wants me to be at Trailblazer level 15 and I'm 13), been feeding tickets to the Seele banner and got mostly trash + two Natashas

i guess i'll keep feeding the thing tickets but I'm still having a good time so far with the game

I dunno about going full open wallet on this though, seems dangerous (this is still my first serious gacha attempt for the most part)

I've wasted money on gacha before and I ended up regretting it. I would not pay for anything beyond the $5 daily login bonus and the $10 Nameless Honor thing once you've hit 50 in it. If you lose 50/50 it's a combined 180 wishes to 100% guarantee a character and that's in the neighborhood of $200 and only gets more expensive once you've used up the 2x currency bonuses. The game is 100% intended to entice whales. It's very difficult to responsibly spend money in gacha games once you've built a habit and that's by design.