Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

been doin a hunter x hunter rewatch but thats probably gonna wind down pretty soon and i need some more poo poo to watch. also been watchin nichijou but for shows like that ive got a hard time sitting down nd binging em, can only do two-three episodes at a time. lookin for any recs anyone has for what to do next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the new gundam's pretty sick, recommend it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis posted:

the new gundam's pretty sick, recommend it.

oh yeah, 100% been watchin that and it kicks rear end. lookin for more of a show i can rip through, though

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fungah! posted:

oh yeah, 100% been watchin that and it kicks rear end. lookin for more of a show i can rip through, though

Monster, Baccano!, Black Lagoon

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
i assumed u already watched all of these but

Mob Psycho
Kaiji
Akagi
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

and for something more recent, Sonny Boy is insanely underrated imo. Epic show. short and sweet, too

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh man ive never actually watched kaiji. thats next on the list for sure

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also agreed on sonny boy. the kind of show where you just go lay down and simply exist for a few hours after you finish it because thats all you can really do

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Fungah! posted:

also agreed on sonny boy. the kind of show where you just go lay down and simply exist for a few hours after you finish it because thats all you can really do

its so good, dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSDdRxAEdcs

thanks for the epic sig el spider

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Plutonis posted:

seconding these three+Houseki no Kuni, Banana Fish, Paranoia Agent, Akiba Maid War, and Bungo Stray Dogs

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

my go to recommendation is always Mushishi

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mushishi ftw

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

On-Gaku

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Fungah! posted:

oh man ive never actually watched kaiji. thats next on the list for sure

Kaiji is fun but feel free to make liberal use of the “skip x second” towards the back 1/3 to 1/2 of the series and they just goddamn adore rehashing the stakes. You could argue that it messes with the pace and tension building but you’re 3 seasons in at that point and they’re taking half the episode’s run time to get a move on.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if you're after a really entertaining film with some of the sickest animation you'll ever see Redline owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t26m_Q6ENo

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Warbird posted:

Kaiji is fun but feel free to make liberal use of the “skip x second” towards the back 1/3 to 1/2 of the series and they just goddamn adore rehashing the stakes. You could argue that it messes with the pace and tension building but you’re 3 seasons in at that point and they’re taking half the episode’s run time to get a move on.

it's like that but x1000 with the manga...

e: A good ongoing sports anime is Blue Lock.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 25, 2023

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Plutonis posted:

good recs. i just rewatched mushishi and i’m rewatching Monster now, they both still rule. the character work in those shows is so good, even with how long Monster is you’ll still remember a character that’s only in a single episode

for recent stuff i think a good spread of titles that aren’t big commitments would include On-Gaku, Mob Psycho, Vinland Saga, Bocchi the Rock, Odd Taxi, and less recently my all time favorite Ping Pong the Animation

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh poo poo i forgot theres a vinland anime now, that might be the winner. good recs yall, this'll keep me goin for a while

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tarranon posted:

good recs. i just rewatched mushishi and i’m rewatching Monster now, they both still rule. the character work in those shows is so good, even with how long Monster is you’ll still remember a character that’s only in a single episode

for recent stuff i think a good spread of titles that aren’t big commitments would include On-Gaku, Mob Psycho, Vinland Saga, Bocchi the Rock, Odd Taxi, and less recently my all time favorite Ping Pong the Animation

Ping Pong really is impeccable

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ping pong is magical, nd so is tatami galaxy. i should wtch that new tatami galaxy spinoff too

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

i've really liked Chihayafuru and i've wanted to rewatch it for a while now.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Did a rewatch of Paranoia Agent and it still kicks rear end. Satoshi Kon was a brilliant director.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
How about a little anime called Hajime no Ippo, OP

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Fungah! posted:

been doin a hunter x hunter rewatch but thats probably gonna wind down pretty soon and i need some more poo poo to watch. also been watchin nichijou but for shows like that ive got a hard time sitting down nd binging em, can only do two-three episodes at a time. lookin for any recs anyone has for what to do next

Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight

Single season of 12 episodes + a movie, good for watching a couple eps at a time. Story is actresses having musical swordfights, also there's a talking giraffe.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Ibexaz posted:

rewatched that with some friends a few months ago and it was way better than i remember it.

the new ghost in the shell, sadly, was not as good as it should be.

Cousin Foomin
Feb 21, 2018

Odd Taxi

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

K-ON! is good, and yui is the best.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Big O

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ibexaz posted:

Megalobox and its sequel NOMAD, are both top-tier choices as well.

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

serial experiment lane, gurren lagann, paranoia agent, trigun, samurai champloo, baccano, FLCL, NGE, monster, Cowboy Bebop, are probably my favorites. none of them are new, but they're all great.

sundaymorning
Sep 1, 2019

s_k_a_m_ posted:

serial experiment lane ...

following from this Haibane Renmei is probably one of the best anime I have watched. You need to be in the right sort of feels mindset for it though.

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

sundaymorning posted:

following from this Haibane Renmei is probably one of the best anime I have watched. You need to be in the right sort of feels mindset for it though.

i have not seen this; i will check it out. thanks.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I’m going to plug Little Witch Academia, it’s two movies and a series, but there’s not any continuity between them so you can start wherever you want. It’s basically if you take a slice of life comedy like K-On! or Nichijou and set it at a Hogwarts-style school of magic. Super funny, really likable characters, slick Studio Trigger animation, talking about it is making me want to do a rewatch myself lol

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Punished Chuck posted:

I’m going to plug Little Witch Academia, it’s two movies and a series, but there’s not any continuity between them so you can start wherever you want. It’s basically if you take a slice of life comedy like K-On! or Nichijou and set it at a Hogwarts-style school of magic. Super funny, really likable characters, slick Studio Trigger animation, talking about it is making me want to do a rewatch myself lol

LWA is great, my kids loved it too so it's kind of a shame I can't show them anything else Studio Trigger has done lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Punished Chuck posted:

ya LWA is very good, i havent seen the movies but the show i rec pretty highly

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

sick i'll check it out when i'm done with nichijou

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

[with suddenly vested interest] how far are you?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

[with suddenly vested interest] how far are you?

only five, six episodes, i'm takin it slow. i cant really binge sol comedy shows which is a blessing and a curse

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm65JEkcF4g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fungah! posted:

Nichibros (Daily Lives of High School Students) was pretty decent but not on that godlike level.