Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fungah! posted:

been doin a hunter x hunter rewatch but thats probably gonna wind down pretty soon and i need some more poo poo to watch. also been watchin nichijou but for shows like that ive got a hard time sitting down nd binging em, can only do two-three episodes at a time. lookin for any recs anyone has for what to do next
are manga recs cool with you, or only anime? because there's a fuckin lot of series that have never been animated that rule, tons of completed series too

if manga is cool w/ you, I'll recommend one series to start: Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen. an elderly knight leaves his kingdom on a journey to find a suitable place to die, and many adventures find him along the way

the artwork is real loving good

if manga is no good, then definitely go with your gut on Vinland Saga, it's one of the best adaptations in years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

manga is definitely good, that looks sick. i'll check it out

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

LWA sounds like something my wife would like, we'll give that a shot tonight

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

If you like robots and violence check out Iron-Blooded Orphans - it's a gundam AU that exists on its own and doesn't need any prior knowledge of poo poo. It has rad fight scenes and is way better animated than any of the shows that came before it. The new one that's just Utena with robots is good too but it's not done yet.

Also seconding Black Lagoon that someone mentioned upthread, that's a fun short bit of schlock

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
for something a bit more obscure, if you like robots, Gun X Sword is a fun ride. it's wild west/spaghetti western with robots, and has some excellent robot designs, also the main character's robot being called DANN OF THURSDAY. it also has the literal mexican power rangers, who retired because they got too old and their members started dying, but they came out of retirement with their zords to fight the baddies once again. it's great

it's got Big O vibes, like how he summons Dann, but instead of erupting from underground, it gets launched at the planet from space when he spins his hat around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zAcSSm9qxs

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

EL DORA V

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Dorehedoro is super fun while also being grisly and dark at the same time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
dorohedoro is absolutely insane, and complete, and the anime only covers a small chunk of it. but they got the best murdergirl perfectly correct in the animated version, as well as the filthiness of the world, so that's good

imagine if god was actually satan, and him doing messed up poo poo is because he's insanely existentially bored, so he just spends his days loving with people while not giving a poo poo about how he looks so he just wears a hoodie and no pants while looking like this:

the main character, caiman, is a man with a lizard head because some random wizard zapped him with magic but only hit his head. so he's going around murdering wizards until he finds the one who did it. his best friend is is nikaido, a chef who runs The Hungry Bug restaurant, and helps him with his murdering antics.

you can describe literally every single character in this series as "crazy, funny, and also a serial killer"

dorohedoro is an all-timer, read/watch dorohedoro

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Captain Tylor was a great show I watched earlier this year

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Speaking of, just got word that RightStuff shipped my Gunbuster OVA blu.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

dorohedoro is absolutely insane, and complete, and the anime only covers a small chunk of it. but they got the best murdergirl perfectly correct in the animated version, as well as the filthiness of the world, so that's good

imagine if god was actually satan, and him doing messed up poo poo is because he's insanely existentially bored, so he just spends his days loving with people while not giving a poo poo about how he looks so he just wears a hoodie and no pants while looking like this:

the main character, caiman, is a man with a lizard head because some random wizard zapped him with magic but only hit his head. so he's going around murdering wizards until he finds the one who did it. his best friend is is nikaido, a chef who runs The Hungry Bug restaurant, and helps him with his murdering antics.

you can describe literally every single character in this series as "crazy, funny, and also a serial killer"

dorohedoro is completely dope.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
invictus throw me a rec. likes: Inio Asano, Naoki Urosawa, Takehiko Inoue

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

inuyasha

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

inuyasha

oh poo poo i bet the manga is hella beautiful + nostalgia trip

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
I recommend bocchi the rock it’s very good and the ost slaps

Cousin Foomin
Feb 21, 2018

ghosthorse posted:

I recommend bocchi the rock it’s very good and the ost slaps

I also recommend Bocci the Rock for the same reasons. A perfect little show.

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

Fungah! posted:

been doin a hunter x hunter rewatch but thats probably gonna wind down pretty soon and i need some more poo poo to watch. also been watchin nichijou but for shows like that ive got a hard time sitting down nd binging em, can only do two-three episodes at a time. lookin for any recs anyone has for what to do next

Recently started watching Oddtaxi and I'm enjoying it. 13 episodes and it's the entire story.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Speaking of, just got word that RightStuff shipped my Gunbuster OVA blu.

Oh drat are those going out? I gotta get on that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I got the tude now posted:

do you want an obscure rec or a well known quantity, because I can do either.

well known quantities: Blank Canvas - My So-Called Artist's Journey
Akiko Higashimura, the author of Princess Jellyfish, made this autobiographical story about her life and growth as an artist. It's a phenomenal, powerfully told story. One of the series I've read that I want a AAA-budgeted anime made for, not for action scenes or anything since there's nothing of the sort, but just going absolutely ham on everything in general instead. Music, backgrounds, character hand animations while making artwork, that sort of thing.

The Faraway Paladin - an isekai, but don't let that scare you. It uses the premise in the best way possible, when it scarcely uses it at all: "your previous life was terrible. learn from that suffering and find new purpose with this second chance." reborn in a city of the dead, he is adopted by three undead; a skeletal warrior, a mummified priestess, and a ghostly wizard. they raise him as if he were their own. brilliant storytelling, brilliant worldbuilding, excellent artwork, and probably the best presentation of how mortals would interact with gods and faith in any manga I've yet read. Has a bad anime adaptation, stick to the manga.

obscure rec, might not fit: A Serious Time
a very short series at only 9 chapters, it's about a girl who dies in a car accident and the weird limbo she finds herself in.

I've read like a thousand series according to my mdlibrary, and even if 90% of that is garbage, I can still dig out the recommendable stuff if you want

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
while it doesn't always nail it(especially in regards to monsters) I find the art in Faraway Paladin wonderful.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

do you want an obscure rec or a well known quantity, because I can do either.

well known quantities: Blank Canvas - My So-Called Artist's Journey
Akiko Higashimura, the author of Princess Jellyfish, made this autobiographical story about her life and growth as an artist. It's a phenomenal, powerfully told story. One of the series I've read that I want a AAA-budgeted anime made for, not for action scenes or anything since there's nothing of the sort, but just going absolutely ham on everything in general instead. Music, backgrounds, character hand animations while making artwork, that sort of thing.

The Faraway Paladin - an isekai, but don't let that scare you. It uses the premise in the best way possible, when it scarcely uses it at all: "your previous life was terrible. learn from that suffering and find new purpose with this second chance." reborn in a city of the dead, he is adopted by three undead; a skeletal warrior, a mummified priestess, and a ghostly wizard. they raise him as if he were their own. brilliant storytelling, brilliant worldbuilding, excellent artwork, and probably the best presentation of how mortals would interact with gods and faith in any manga I've yet read. Has a bad anime adaptation, stick to the manga.

obscure rec, might not fit: A Serious Time
a very short series at only 9 chapters, it's about a girl who dies in a car accident and the weird limbo she finds herself in.

I've read like a thousand series according to my mdlibrary, and even if 90% of that is garbage, I can still dig out the recommendable stuff if you want

i like it wild n wacky. dead demon's dededededestruction was the last thing i read that i was like, "that was fuckin cool"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you want just absolutely insane, there is a currently extremely popular shonen series called DANDADAN. It's a scifi/occult series that follows some high schoolers(as you do). It incorporates tons of science fiction and both urban and ancient mythology into the characters and setting, it's great fun. Only caveat I have is the first chapter is way darker than the entire rest of the series is, probably due to it being a pilot and them not necessarily knowing where it would go initially. That is the main hurdle to recommending this series, but if you're able to get past chapter 1, you'll probably love the rest of the crazy bullshit it does, it can go from hilarious to intense or tragic in a single page, which isn't always an easy feat to do repeatedly and still work. and the artwork and action is incredible

(referencing a face that tons of people apparently see in their dreams, iirc)

less insane but still a wild series, have you checked out Shiori Experience, a manga that literally cannot exist in anime form due to copyright existing at all? it is a series about a woman who is possessed by the ghost of Literally Jimi Hendrix and must become a rock star before she turns 28, or else her soul will be taken and she will join The 27 Club. PHENOMENAL artwork, excellent story, solid characters, great underdog journey. more possessed people show up, including one inhabited by the ghost of Kurt Cobain

it is rare a manga can be about music and keep you entirely engaged despite not being able to actually have its core topic involved with it. but it represents the intensity of them playing music beautifully:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
thanks dog. i'll check all that poo poo out :cheers:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I read the first few chapters of Dandadan basically on a whim because I love occult stuff and the main characters also being weird little occult fanatics seemed fun, I liked what I read a lot. Need to get back to it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dandadan is real good, pretty too

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021
Dandadan is so so much fun to read. Art is great and the occult/alien stuff always keeps the fights and villains fresh. Love it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Armored Trooper Votoms

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Alaois posted:

Armored Trooper Votoms

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Need some horror anime recs

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

herculon posted:

Parasyte

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I meant anime movies. That’s on me. Should’ve clarified that

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

herculon posted:

Perfect Blue, Vampire Hunter D, Wicked City

Hellsing Ultimate if you want to count a limited series

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

well theres this list

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fungah! posted:

well theres this list

That Scooby Doo movie unironically goes hard though

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

well theres this list

Addams Family is decent. I’ll have to check out the rest. Thanks

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
space adventure cobra. the 80s one. hell you can watch the whole thing on youtube https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj2Ugc-vxcWE-tx8wM6xB1fiO3XvnJA4d

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

absolutely anything posted:

space adventure cobra. the 80s one. hell you can watch the whole thing on youtube https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj2Ugc-vxcWE-tx8wM6xB1fiO3XvnJA4d

no Rock Knight, no watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

symbolic posted:

no Rock Knight, no watch

i somehow coincidentally started watching the cobra anime like a week before that playthrough went up and avoided it because potential spoilers then never went back so i still have no idea who rock knight or parrot grass are