Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hotel Kpro posted:

Do we have any current content?

there are still occasional photoshop threads in gbs, which were one of the main content drivers of the site for years but back then the best stuff from those threads would be posted to the front page, which has not been updated in years.

also there were far fewer other places to get that kind of content in the early 00's compared to now, when one can find silly photoshops and memes and parodies etc pretty much anywhere in the social media world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
A paywalled area where you can ask questions and get a legitimate response from another human being with no spam is valuable and there are some good threads in this forum for that exact reason, I don't know if that'll be enough to draw people here but goddamn is the rest of the Internet turning into a worthless poo poo heap.

And also there's only so much that can be done. To every thing there is a season and so forth.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm not sure if we have a policy on AI-generated posts but it might be worth bringing up as something for the admin team.

e: SAD thread

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I came here almost twenty years ago because of the “bad lord of the rings photoshops” article, found the music piracy, briefly left when the music piracy splintered off into the super secret invite-only music piracy club, then came back. I’m just enjoying having a place that feels semi-secluded on the wider internet where most of the population are kind of similar to me in age, at the very least. I don’t see that changing and I don’t really want it to change. I know that’s not sustainable over the very long term but this site has already been around for an impossible amount of time anyways.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I got good news and bad news.

The good news is that relatively speaking we're as unpopular as ever!

(We're that lil red bar, the rest are Instagrams, Reddits, twitter and fuckin MySpace lol)

That's right, this site truly has never mattered compared at all to whatever social media platforms are in vogue at the time. Now that's a relief!

But what about our own userbase? Well, there's good and bad news here.

So definitely a downware trend, that's bad. But what's good is we hit the bottom around 2016. That's 14 years ago. So realistically we've been dead the whole time, like that Bruce Willis movie, which is kind of cool I think.

Also these are all based of Google search trends and I'd hazard a guess that most people aren't googling random forums, and that anyone who may have heard of the forums or want to join is doing it without Google's terrible, terrible new search.

In conclusion, don't cry for us, we're already dead.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

That's right, this site truly has never mattered compared at all to whatever social media platforms are in vogue at the time. Now that's a relief!

i'm more interested in how we compare to our ancient enemies, ebaumsworld, fark, worth1000, and maddox.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

syntaxfunction posted:

But what's good is we hit the bottom around 2016. That's 14 years ago.

Huh, my nap was somewhat longer than I thought it was...

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Huh, my nap was somewhat longer than I thought it was...

I am so terrible at numbers, I haven't slept for two days lol

It was a mere eight years ago we already became the dead walking, thank you for catching that! So in other terms, two presidents ago was when we really sealed the deal. Been cruising ever since, relaxing :cool:

Earwicker posted:

i'm more interested in how we compare to our ancient enemies, ebaumsworld, fark, worth1000, and maddox.

If they're still around they're on our level of irrelevance, and if they're not then they're problem getting less interest is my guess.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Earwicker posted:

Ha, I first found out about SA from Maddox’s one article making fun of it.

God, I’m so embarrassed I ever found that guy funny.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
A lot of days I think this place deserves to just die. It's pathetic that the lepers colon exists as a means to judge other users, it's too easy for people to go dig up poo poo from people's past and mock them about it. It's ridiculous the number of times people say poo poo on here like "x poster is stupid they always get probated". This site has so many posters who talk out of their rear end and have no idea what they are doing yet the mods fawn over them repeatedly. I've been probed multiple times where the mods later said "oh I messed up but who cares I can't do anything about it" so congratulations I have a scarlet letter left on my account for people to reference anytime I post. I expressed an opinion on here a long time ago, some jack rear end literally posted "I don't understand what your talking about but I know you're wrong" and I got probated because that poster was a forum favorite.

This site deserves to die because frankly the mods suck, they randomly use their own opinion not supported by rules. The fact is most of the time I personally don't feel comfortable posting on this site because so many posters repeatedly troll other posters.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Not Wolverine posted:

A lot of days I think this place deserves to just die. It's pathetic that the lepers colon exists as a means to judge other users, it's too easy for people to go dig up poo poo from people's past and mock them about it. It's ridiculous the number of times people say poo poo on here like "x poster is stupid they always get probated". This site has so many posters who talk out of their rear end and have no idea what they are doing yet the mods fawn over them repeatedly. I've been probed multiple times where the mods later said "oh I messed up but who cares I can't do anything about it" so congratulations I have a scarlet letter left on my account for people to reference anytime I post. I expressed an opinion on here a long time ago, some jack rear end literally posted "I don't understand what your talking about but I know you're wrong" and I got probated because that poster was a forum favorite.

This site deserves to die because frankly the mods suck, they randomly use their own opinion not supported by rules. The fact is most of the time I personally don't feel comfortable posting on this site because so many posters repeatedly troll other posters.

LMAO imagine giving a poo poo about a probation. Your posting vacations are your divine reward.

Also have you considered that the mods are human and work hard to keep this dead gay forum running and so it's excusable that they aren't perfect? Sometimes I worry about the mods, sometimes they get hair trigger about weird poo poo and I wonder if they're okay like personally, but at the same time I think it takes a special kind of brain damage I don't have or understand to mod a site this large so maybe that's just normal? I used to mod a Magic The Gathering site with like 1/100th this many active users and daily posts and it was hell, I can't even imagine trying to mod, like, PYF.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Not Wolverine posted:

The parts of this forum I frequent are very well modded. I have no complaints there at all.

The rap sheet could maybe use a statue of limitations whereby old infractions expire and are no longer visible.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

LMAO imagine giving a poo poo about a probation. Your posting vacations are your divine reward.

Also have you considered that the mods are human and work hard to keep this dead gay forum running and so it's excusable that they aren't perfect? Sometimes I worry about the mods, sometimes they get hair trigger about weird poo poo and I wonder if they're okay like personally, but at the same time I think it takes a special kind of brain damage I don't have or understand to mod a site this large so maybe that's just normal? I used to mod a Magic The Gathering site with like 1/100th this many active users and daily posts and it was hell, I can't even imagine trying to mod, like, PYF.
Typical "suck it up looser" response, that's the lovely attitude present everywhere on this site. That's the reason this place won't grow and active users are down.

To be clear, the problem is not simply mods making bad decisions but the fact that rap sheets follow users indefinitely. Even times when mods prob the wrong the person or admit they messed up it's still on your record with whatever whitty comment the mods put. The worst part is users dig through this looking for poo poo to troll each other and that is somehow seen as a good way to run a website. It's ridiculous that there are so many users known by reputation, people in forums I have never posted who other people talk about.

The rap sheets encourage harassment and exclusion, that wonderful "community feel" people say they want to preserve here is rejecting outsiders and new posters.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Not Wolverine posted:

Typical "suck it up looser" response, that's the lovely attitude present everywhere on this site. That's the reason this place won't grow and active users are down.

To be clear, the problem is not simply mods making bad decisions but the fact that rap sheets follow users indefinitely. Even times when mods prob the wrong the person or admit they messed up it's still on your record with whatever whitty comment the mods put. The worst part is users dig through this looking for poo poo to troll each other and that is somehow seen as a good way to run a website. It's ridiculous that there are so many users known by reputation, people in forums I have never posted who other people talk about.

The rap sheets encourage harassment and exclusion, that wonderful "community feel" people say they want to preserve here is rejecting outsiders and new posters.

This is exactly the kind of attitude that some transam driving colonel sanders MF would have.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Count Roland posted:

The rap sheet could maybe use a statue of limitations whereby old infractions expire and are no longer visible.

That's probably a good change but it would cause a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Not Wolverine posted:

but outsiders and new posters don't have rap sheets :confused:

although personally i am guilty of assuming any "new user" is just an old user with a new account because how and why would new people come here or even find out about this place in 2024

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Not Wolverine posted:

A probe is a light bap on the nose to correct lovely behavior. We've all had off days where we've been poo poo, so we've all been probed. A ban is a ten-dollar ticket for crossing a line. A great many of us have done that too. I know you care about yours a lot but you should know that nobody else does, and digging through your Rap Sheet is helldumpy behavior and will get people that do it bapped on the nose in the grey forums. My probation history (aside from the animals which I put there in a bad time when I was very sad) is nothing more than a history of bad days with my addictions and mental health trubs, and if anyone wants to attack me for that, for being human, hell, more power to 'em. They'll maybe get bapped and I won't care much, because I own that as part of my identity, it's fundamental to who I am. Also I'm sure some of my probes reflect more on the mod that submitted them than they do on me, because that's just how it is some days. Ah well, a six hour break from my posting pals, whatever.

It's like how people fixate on their own fuckups but can't recall a single fuckup anyone else did ever. It seriously only matters to you. I opened your Rap Sheet but my eyes honestly just slide right off, it just looks like you maybe did some petty dramas but like, i literally can't bring myself to read a single one. There's a picture of a mail truck, that's my takeaway, who gives a poo poo? Fuckin twelve entries in 17 years, you're a goddamned saint. Maybe you're right, maybe Rap Sheet entries should expire, I don't think that's a bad idea at all, but I also think the kind of people who will read through your rap sheet and attack you over things you did way back when are lovely people who need to be filtered out one way or another, and will keep being lovely people even if we take that most visible lovely-people-tool away from them, so like whatever. Maybe it's better to use it as a lovely-person discriminator.

To be clear, I'm not telling you to suck anything up, and I don't think you're a looser. I'm not having a lovely attitude here, we are posting brothers (or sisters or whatever you want us to be) and I want you to have a good time here with the rest of us and not worry about a silly rap sheet. You can even buy a new account if it bothers you. I can tell you that I used to have a different name (same account) and I was a much worse poster then, but now that I have a new name that I think is better and not something I've ever used before I feel free and cool and good and I post better and care less and have a healthier relationship with the forums. Maybe you just need a change like that? But also you're not a Posting Superstar. I'm not either (i hope). That means we're kind of forgettable nobodies and can blend into the background if we want, or if the heat gets too much we can fall off a particular thread or subforum for a bit and come back awhile later and people just kind of won't remember us. That's great, it's like a superpower, and it means that unless you choose to drag that stuff back in with you when you return, it's just kind of gone. Take advantage of that. Don't try and build up a posting identity nobody will remember but you and just be chill and yourself and it'll all work out. We've got lots of cool poo poo going on all over the forums and there's loads of neat threads where you can participate or just read if you want and just kind of hang out and enjoy it. Or maybe it's not for you and that's cool and that's fine but I want you to know we're still posting buds and I appreciated our time here together and I hope you really do have a great life.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Ideally yes people would ignore rap sheets, and a lot of the time people do. Digging through post history is not considered doxxing, but what good purpose does it serve? Obviously, establishing a history can help the mods, but it doesn't do much good for regular users, especially when most probates are for petty offenses or mod mistakes.

Some screw ups are funny, especially when users repeatedly don't listen to advice in an unsafe way such as DIY's beam blaster J, or the mod who recommended people experiment with drugs, the bacon diet, mangosteen, etc. Some mistakes deserve to be immortalized, most rap sheets don't really serve a useful purpose.

You say people don't dig through rap sheets but yet these forums still have superstars name dropped from time to time. I can't count the number of times I've seen people accused of being a parachute account for someone they didn't like, hell it's happened to me once. I used to have an avatar someone bought me, that was referenced way more than my rap sheets, it didn't help that my history of course would link to a probate tied to the avatar. Some people realize that buying an avatar is a sign that some other user went nuts one day, but a lot of posters reference a avatars as a slight to the user with the avatar. Sure buying a avatars is funny but yet does any other community allow users to attach harassing images and text to another user's account which they cannot remove without spending money?

Sure, maybe it can be taken lightly, maybe some of it is funny but there is still a lot of potential for misuse. Rap sheets accessible to all users and the ability to buy harassing avatars are two features unique to this site which can be and have been used to promote harassing other users. I don't find joy in bullying other users, I am surprised this site makes it so easy.

Earwicker posted:

but outsiders and new posters don't have rap sheets :confused:

although personally i am guilty of assuming any "new user" is just an old user with a new account because how and why would new people come here or even find out about this place in 2024
Knowing that this site will immortalize any mistake you ever make is enough to drive away new users who lack a rap sheet. Hell I remember when the stupid newbie avatar used to be regularly brought up as a debate tactic, often accompanied by "lurk more <slur>".

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If someone is making a racist or bigoted post you can check their rapsheet and see they're a consistent piece of poo poo up to and including the current time so that's pretty useful for saving time.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

If someone is making a racist or bigoted post you can check their rapsheet and see they're a consistent piece of poo poo up to and including the current time so that's pretty useful for saving time.
I thought back seat moderating is discouraged on these forums. Besides that, unrelated post history does not effect a users present and future posts.

I am typically not offended by mild stereotype based humor. I'm under the impression that stereotype based humor is typically against the rules here but it seems to happen frequently so the rule is a little unclear here, and I prefer to avoid posting racy humor online, on any platform. That said, a racy post should be judged only by that posts in that thread or other threads addressing that particular topic. For example, if someone were to joke about a famous British person using a British stereotype that should be unrelated to and handled separately from a post that user made 10 years ago expressing their opinion about brown people. For that matter, even if someone did make a bigoted post years ago, I think so long as they don't continue posting bigoted content then it should simply be buried in the past, not preserved for future generations to judge them. Granted, maybe some offenses should be handled more seriously, like a racist joke should be treated differently than someone posting photos from their Klan/MAGA rally.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I meant you just don't bother engaging with the racist/bigot and save time but go hard on your assumptions and weird excuses I guess? You really hate rap sheets and records, okay, sure.

But also

quote:

maybe some offenses should be handled more seriously, like a racist joke should be treated differently than someone posting photos from their Klan/MAGA rally.
lol what did you say?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
It seems odd that it has taken nearly 17 years for you to figure this out, but maybe these forums aren't really your cup of tea

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I meant you just don't bother engaging with the racist/bigot and save time but go hard on your assumptions and weird excuses I guess? You really hate rap sheets and records, okay, sure.

But also

lol what did you say?
Sorry, saying "don't engage with a bigot" is different then saying "don't engage and save time by looking up their history to see if they are a piece of poo poo." I mean if a user offends you with their post, why bother looking up their history?

As for "lol what did you say?" that's not a real response, it's only signaling to other users that you think I said something without specifying how or why what I said is wrong.

Barry Foster posted:

It seems odd that it has taken nearly 17 years for you to figure this out, but maybe these forums aren't really your cup of tea
Given the decline, I think it's safe to say these forums are not really anyone's cup of tea. Maybe it could be better if the site was not designed to make it easier to troll users but it seems the only "comedy" this place has left is bullying and harassing other users.

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012

Count Roland posted:

I would welcome a change like this.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Count Roland posted:

A suggestion which could only be made by someone who's never had to endure Bum the Sad

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Hell Gem

Trin Tragula posted:

A suggestion which could only be made by someone who's never had to endure Bum the Sad

Rude

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Not Wolverine posted:

Sorry, saying "don't engage with a bigot" is different then saying "don't engage and save time by looking up their history to see if they are a piece of poo poo." I mean if a user offends you with their post, why bother looking up their history?
This poo poo happens all the time: someone posts something dicey, and you can't tell if it was intentional or something to go "hey don't do that" and actually resolve poo poo. Yeah, rapsheets indicate that pretty well. You don't have to like it, and it's so rarely something worth checking, but it is a pretty reliable method.

Not Wolverine posted:

As for "lol what did you say?" that's not a real response, it's only signaling to other users that you think I said something without specifying how or why what I said is wrong.
You've spent a lot of words complaining about a milquetoast rapsheet that no one else gives a poo poo about, it's loving weird. Also the debate me energy is trite as poo poo, maybe try D&D for that.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Let the mods do their job, if someone says something questionable either speak up or ignore it, don't drag their history into unless that poster has ban able poo poo in their past, except then it wouldn't really be a problem anyway.

And I don't really care about my rap sheet, I do care about the idea of preventing people from having access to a tool that doesn't serve a good purpose except ridiculing users. If a public rap sheet is such a good idea, why don't any other social networks implement one? Up until now I didn't think you were "loving weird" regarding things no one else gives a poo poo about.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I can't tell if you can't read because you're so focused on your rapsheet or whether you just like ignoring things for convenience. I don't think anyone has suggested backseat modding except you saying that's what everyone is doing.

Edit: Making my stand about rapsheets in the "future of the forums" thread in AT instead of going to SAD or something, I'm somewhat of a hero.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 12, 2024

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
If you are worried what mostly anonymous users on a forum think about your posting history... maybe step away from the computer for a few weeks, do some IRL social activities.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Moderators are a bit of a thankless job. You don't even think about them when its going well, but when they are bad it is very apparent.

That being said, some moderators will fight tooth and nail to stay as a moderator.... and that's not such a good thing. Maybe rotate people out and in of that position a bit more often.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If you don't want people citing your rap sheet, retire your account and start a new one and only get kitty sixers

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

If you are worried what mostly anonymous users on a forum think about your posting history... maybe step away from the computer for a few weeks, do some IRL social activities.
IRL social activities, like what, LARPing? No thanks! I'm honestly not really worried about my post history, but at the same time, if my rap sheet truly is nothing, then how does exposing all of that to other users benefit me? I can see some value in rap sheets if you are getting trolled by a bigot with bigoted posts in their rap sheet, but otherwise I just don't really see an advantage to rap sheets. In that regard, there was recently a January 6th probate-athon to immortalize a thread about Donald Trump, that certainly seems out of spirit with the original intent of the probation system. I have a voluntary probate because some dude in AI got mad over an 18hour probate, in hindsight I regret that probation since it's essentially just me bullying that user over them having a bad day.

wesleywillis posted:

If you don't want people citing your rap sheet, retire your account and start a new one and only get kitty sixers
I don't want to be forced to pay :10bux: to clear my name, and I don't want to loose my 2007 registration date. Hell, for that matter my registration date is kind of valuable, like an NFT, I wonder if I can sell this account on ebay/SA Mart. . .

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Not Wolverine posted:

I can see some value in rap sheets if you are getting trolled by a bigot with bigoted posts in their rap sheet, but otherwise I just don't really see an advantage to rap sheets.

I was going to effort post reply, but I see you've been banned for comparing probating on a forum to rape.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe turn the main page into an archive and a mini version of the best threads currently? Make it look less dusty.

Helluva fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 13, 2024

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I was going to effort post reply, but I see you've been banned for comparing probating on a forum to rape.

wow, rap sheets are useful!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Regarding that ban, let's just say if you bring up evidence of doxxing a few admins here might just say to shut up because they have been doxxed harder than you. I get that the mods are human and make mistakes, but these same humans are also kind of flawed and biased at times, and they get to immortalize their mistakes on your profile with whatever harassing comments they want to include.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
You seem to be fixated on your rap sheet specifically and forum punishments more gemerally in an extremely unhealthy way, friend.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
This is the thread asking about the future of these forums, and in my opinion making the community less hostile would be one way to ensure that there is a future for SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yes, it is the existence of rapsheets that is why this forum isn't popular. You have cracked the case.

Or, and hear me out, you're really angry and people seeing fuckups you've done years ago (altho actually looking at your rapsheet for the first time "less than a month ago" isn't a long time).

I'm not even against the idea of expiring entries on rapsheets after a year or whatever honestly (or just hidden from the public) but I don't think it has anything, at all, to do with the popularity of the forums. Polling a few people around me right now and the consensus was actually that it'd be nice to know this stuff on other social media so there's some anecdotes for you lol