Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Or, and hear me out, you're really angry and people seeing fuckups you've done years ago (altho actually looking at your rapsheet for the first time "less than a month ago" isn't a long time).
Naturally, my record has been brought up a couple times in this thread, which is exactly what I have expected would happen. In that regard, yes I have somewhat minimally offered my input into the history people have brought up, and I'm not discussing them because I am angry about them.

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm not even against the idea of expiring entries on rapsheets after a year or whatever honestly (or just hidden from the public) but I don't think it has anything, at all, to do with the popularity of the forums. Polling a few people around me right now and the consensus was actually that it'd be nice to know this stuff on other social media so there's some anecdotes for you lol
Expiring rap sheets or hidden from the public after a while would be a good idea, to my knowledge no other social media has public records. That said, yes rap sheets are not the single reason why forums are no longer popular, I just don't think having rap sheets is going to help make people want to sign up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Hell Gem
Did we get the big titties yet?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Next time I go to a convention I'm gonna dress up as my avatar and run around doing Man On The Street style interviews.

"Hi my name is poo poo Fuckasaurus and people are dying to know, why haven't you signed up to our dead, gay forums?"

I'll report back.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Next time I go to a convention I'm gonna dress up as my avatar and run around doing Man On The Street style interviews.

"Hi my name is poo poo Fuckasaurus and people are dying to know, why haven't you signed up to our dead, gay forums?"

I'll report back.

Next gooncon should either:

Check people's rapsheets before letting them in (no refunds for already purchased tickets obviously) and not let them enter if they have more than X number of probes or bans

OR

They can get in but they have to print out their user names and their worst rap sheet offences and tape that to their backs and walk around the con like that. People with lesser offenses can openly make fun of or berate them consequence free.

If they do that for the entire day, they get those particular (the worst offenses) expunged from their records.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

wesleywillis posted:

Next gooncon should either:

Check people's rapsheets before letting them in (no refunds for already purchased tickets obviously) and not let them enter if they have more than X number of probes or bans

OR

They can get in but they have to print out their user names and their worst rap sheet offences and tape that to their backs and walk around the con like that. People with lesser offenses can openly make fun of or berate them consequence free.

If they do that for the entire day, they get those particular (the worst offenses) expunged from their records.

Well it can't be Option A, I have waaaay too many cute animal probes. B is fine, but we should just screen-print it on the back of the con-shirt.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Not Wolverine posted:

Knowing that this site will immortalize any mistake you ever make is enough to drive away new users who lack a rap sheet.

do you actually know any specific people who wanted to join the forums but were kept away by these things, or is this all just speculation?

i mean you yourself seem to have no problem posting here in spite of these oppressive tactics, what makes you think they are stopping others?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I am insanely happy these forums haven’t really changed since I joined. I do not like the tiered comment system of Reddit, and despite having browsed it for a decade at this point, it’s mostly been just a quick romp through some favorite subreddits for any noteworthy articles or interesting posts and maybe some meme browsing. I’ve spent way more time actually reading stuff on SA. Between having meaningful discussions presented in traditional message board style, the value (both selling and buying) I’ve gotten from SA Mart, general life advice, and media recommendations from the most random places, I’m happy to have wasted a over a literal third of my life here (more if you count lurking before actually buying an account)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

neither SA's style nor reddit's are more "traditional" than the other, "threaded-view" vs "linear view" (sometimes "flat view") are the basic options that used to come with just about any forum software. back when there were a ton of forums about all kinds of stuff, both modes were common and lots of forums simply let the user choose which view they preferred (which still seems like the best solution to me but whatever)

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Earwicker posted:

do you actually know any specific people who wanted to join the forums but were kept away by these things, or is this all just speculation?

i mean you yourself seem to have no problem posting here in spite of these oppressive tactics, what makes you think they are stopping others?
Honestly, yes I have met people IRL who have said they know about Something Awful, but didn't like the general attitude of the forums. To be even more specific, I discovered these forums because I heard about SA's reputation on two different forums, SA was referred to as a hostile but knowledgeable place. Granted, that was forever ago (guessing 2007ish) but even today if I ask someone about SA they either have never heard of it and don't want to visit "some awful" website, or they will say they have heard about it, and that it is a bad place. A lot of people I know want some degree of anonymity online, both rap sheets and giving Jeffrey you credit card go against online anonymity. One nice thing about SA is the lack of obvious bots or burner accounts, but given the site's current lack of popularity I'm not sure that's entirely because of the registration fee.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I am insanely happy these forums haven’t really changed since I joined. I do not like the tiered comment system of Reddit, and despite having browsed it for a decade at this point, it’s mostly been just a quick romp through some favorite subreddits for any noteworthy articles or interesting posts and maybe some meme browsing. I’ve spent way more time actually reading stuff on SA. Between having meaningful discussions presented in traditional message board style, the value (both selling and buying) I’ve gotten from SA Mart, general life advice, and media recommendations from the most random places, I’m happy to have wasted a over a literal third of my life here (more if you count lurking before actually buying an account)
Reddit's threaded view has advantages and disadvantages, it can make both easier or more difficult for a post to be overlooked. Granted, one of the annoying aspects of SA is when different people discuss more that one topic in a thread at the same time, quotes with links help keep things straight but it's not as good as a threaded-thread.

I don't hate SA, there are a lot of genuinely useful threads and knowledgeable posters on here, and there are poo poo posters too, no place is perfect. All social media sucks in some way or another, I believe SA is arguably better than Facebook or Reddit, but internet traffic and active users seems to paint a different picture. Granted, part of that is because you can have so many different secretive sub communities on Facebook or Reddit and that's not easily possible here (I've heard rumors of Lowtax hating Nazis in FYAD). That said, I think that free membership could certainly lead to more sign ups, but they would most likely be spam bots (if spammers still target SA) so that's unrealistic. But making the rap sheet expire would be a less drastic change which I think would overall be good for the community. In the interest of protecting users, I would be OK with keeping serious offenses maybe on the users rap sheet or profile in some form, but that's a bigger can of worms.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Not Wolverine posted:

In the interest of protecting users, I would be OK with keeping serious offenses maybe on the users rap sheet or profile in some form, but that's a bigger can of worms.

You can address that by making the full rap sheet available to mods/admins. There are already notes attached to a probe/ban that are only visible to them, so it's not a major technical change.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I earned my probations so I'm drat well going to wear them with pride.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Not Wolverine posted:

A lot of people I know want some degree of anonymity online, both rap sheets and giving Jeffrey you credit card go against online anonymity.

what does a rap sheet have to do with online anonymity? rap sheets exclusively cover violations of forums rules or sometimes just weird inside jokes and poo poo, at no point do they involve anyone's irl identity

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If I'm making a random username for my account, but my anonymity gets broken because someone can connect what I get probated and banned for to my real life then I think I would have far bigger issues in my life.

"Forums user shitpisser420 was an unknown until they got hit with a 6er for equating abortion rights with saying slurs in games, and right then we knew exactly who they were" like drat, what are you doing in the real world

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Pretty much anyone who knows me irl can find me on here if they gave a gently caress, which they don’t

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

Pretty much anyone who knows me irl can find me on here if they gave a gently caress, which they don’t

The "I like cookies" custom title really narrows it down. That's gotta be like 7, maybe 8 people tops I'm guessing.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Earwicker posted:

when i see a 2023 reg date i tend to just assume that an old goon made a new account for some reason. its hard to imagine why anyone new would pay $10 to join a web forum

Because the quality of posting is so much better tbh

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
It's gotta be hard for a new member to figure out forum culture and find a place where they fit in. The culture can be really different between subforums which isnt something you see in other places. In fact I rarely look outside my few favorite subforums because posters in other subforums can be absolute morons and/or mentally unstable. There have been times I've almost written off the forums and satellite communities because of this. In a way SA is like the Internet equivalent of a group of close friends who grew up together... it's hard to break into that group.

sassypotassium
Jun 12, 2023

a dingus posted:

It's gotta be hard for a new member to figure out forum culture and find a place where they fit in. The culture can be really different between subforums which isnt something you see in other places. In fact I rarely look outside my few favorite subforums because posters in other subforums can be absolute morons and/or mentally unstable. There have been times I've almost written off the forums and satellite communities because of this. In a way SA is like the Internet equivalent of a group of close friends who grew up together... it's hard to break into that group.

Yeah, i’m new to SA. Lurked for a bit, then decided to buy an account. So far i’m loving the fact that it’s less stressful and convoluted than the rest of the interwebs. Takes me back to a simpler time. On the other hand, i’m still figuring out some of the ins and outs, and still feel quite lost at times. There are so many different injokes, and each forum has a different culture, that it feels quite daunting to participate at times. It just feels less like i’m scrolling out of habit, and am actualy actively looking for stuff i’d like to read and participate in. Best advice i’ve had so far is to :justpost:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

sassypotassium posted:

Yeah, i’m new to SA. Lurked for a bit, then decided to buy an account. So far i’m loving the fact that it’s less stressful and convoluted than the rest of the interwebs. Takes me back to a simpler time. On the other hand, i’m still figuring out some of the ins and outs, and still feel quite lost at times. There are so many different injokes, and each forum has a different culture, that it feels quite daunting to participate at times. It just feels less like i’m scrolling out of habit, and am actualy actively looking for stuff i’d like to read and participate in. Best advice i’ve had so far is to :justpost:

Honestly the best advice, yep. Most forums here are welcoming if you’re not a total jerk and if you don’t get an in joke, just ask. I’m sure someone will be glad to give a much longer than needed over-explanation of the history

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Earwicker posted:

when i see a 2023 reg date i tend to just assume that an old goon made a new account for some reason. its hard to imagine why anyone new would pay $10 to join a web forum

anecdotally, i joined in 2022 because i was trying to track down an old let’s play that has been lost to time, and stayed because the forums fascinate me. also, it’s cool seeing threads from before i was born.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

barclayed posted:

anecdotally, i joined in 2022 because i was trying to track down an old let’s play that has been lost to time, and stayed because the forums fascinate me. also, it’s cool seeing threads from before i was born.

How is a let's play just lost?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Well, back in the day, you couldn't host on YouTube because the quality was too bad and the videos usually weren't long enough. So people did Blip or DailyMotion. If it was on Blip, and they didn't take steps to preserve it on the archive, then there's a chance it's just gone.

It is weird to think about. MGS2 talks about the information age with everything being preserved and never decaying in a sea of triteness, but that has really been overstated. We still face a real concern of losing some media because of hosting services going under.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

sassypotassium posted:

Theres a thread in PYF thats called "Outing the in joke" or some poo poo like that thats not been active for a while so its probably like 10 pages back now, but its got a lot of info in there about forums related poo poo.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It wasn't on SomethingAwful- tl;dr old let's play series of Link to the Past that I remembered watching on YouTube back in like 2013. Tried to track it down in 2022, which was pretty much just days of scrolling through search results for videos, playlists, anything from around that time at work. IIRC someone else had done a let's play of it around the same time and linked to another YouTuber, citing them as the inspiration for it, but that person's page was completely scrubbed of videos by then. Swore I recognized their username though. Their only other online presence was SomethingAwful and after thinking, "aha! A lead!" and clicking on their profile, I was confounded. "What do you mean i have to pay $10 just to see this guy's profile? ...gently caress it, it's in the name of research i guess.... wait, i need to pay more just to message them??" So I pretty much originally joined out of spite with the mindset of 'if I paid $15 just to message someone on an internet forum, I might as well make it worth it, see what discussions are going on.

Turned out not to be them and I have come to the conclusion that it's lost media at this point. Someone made a TOMT thread about a missing LOTP let's play but that was a dead end as well.

But yeah no, I've since come to really appreciate the forums; it's a breath of fresh air after growing up watching every other space I knew on the internet be capitalized upon and essentially sterilized by algorithms. That feels kinda preachy, though. As someone who's interested in internet culture in general, it's also just very fun to see where things started.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Preachy or not it echoes my sentiments. There are also other forums out there that are centered around a hobby or activity. I still find them to be better than facebook groups or whatever the latest fad is.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I've been a member of a tiny, model-specific car forum for nearly 25 years, and it's dying a slow death because new owners would all rather just join a facebook group even though it's very clearly full of idiots talking bullshit and it's impossible to find anything useful. :smith:

sassypotassium
Jun 12, 2023

I think, given the state of the Internet as it is today, there still is a place for SA in the foreseeable future. More and more people are looking for places that aren't like traditional social media, and I expect more people to start looking for a place that feels a little more like ye olden days. If we respond well to that, for example by revamping the front-page, by replying to the (latent) needs of potential visitors and writing new engaging/funny articles, I believe there could even be some growth in it. All depends on site management. I have read several posts about how management is busy with the back-end, that the front page is on a priority list and that they are really working on improving the site, but so far I haven't seen much of that (correct me if I'm wrong). I think there are more then enough people who would like to help set this up, write articles, make banners, etc. Time will tell!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Watching other forums slip into nonexistence is generally sad, like seeing the Ambrosia software boards go down when they finally went under. On the other hand I was on a forum someone created for Air Force enlisted scrubs and it was run by a good ol’ boy/girl club so it was hilarious to see the demise of them. Everyone ended up on Reddit as far as I know

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hotel Kpro posted:

Watching other forums slip into nonexistence is generally sad, like seeing the Ambrosia software boards go down when they finally went under. On the other hand I was on a forum someone created for Air Force enlisted scrubs and it was run by a good ol’ boy/girl club so it was hilarious to see the demise of them. Everyone ended up on Reddit as far as I know

poo poo, I spent time on Ambrosia's forums. Wasn't my main forum but I loved EV and Ares.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Count Roland posted:

poo poo, I spent time on Ambrosia's forums. Wasn't my main forum but I loved EV and Ares.

I think it was there that I had my first introduction to SA when someone posted a Martin Random story. EV was good poo poo, tons of memories of playing that on school computers in middle school

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I bought my son an account, telling him was a funny place with lots of useful information and friendly people. He lasted about a month, I think, after the 3rd dogpile, by "allies" he told me it was just too hostile. Trying to have any kind of conversation is a minefield. Saying nothing and keeping your own council is a winning strategy, even in places where you have personal experience, because you will get screamed at or stalked.

I really think the culture war has broken a lot of minds here.

Structurally, it's fine though.

I do wonder how many previous posters just lurk now, that haven't moved on, who still read the forums out of habit.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Collateral posted:

I bought my son an account, telling him was a funny place with lots of useful information and friendly people. He lasted about a month, I think, after the 3rd dogpile, by "allies" he told me it was just too hostile. Trying to have any kind of conversation is a minefield. Saying nothing and keeping your own council is a winning strategy, even in places where you have personal experience, because you will get screamed at or stalked.

I do wonder how many previous posters just lurk now, that haven't moved on, who still read the forums out of habit.

Lot left out here about what exactly your son was 'dogpiled' for saying.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Lot left out here about what exactly your son was 'dogpiled' for saying.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Defending the honor of roblox most likely.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
"Dogpiled by "allies"" I'd take a wild guess they went to, like, D&D or TMR and said some poo poo. Which in fairness it's really easy to upset people over there.

Edit: also saying it was because of culture war stuff, my money is on saying something not okay to a thread and then getting salty they got mad at "one of their own".

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Not showing due difference to a subforum/thread superstar who was receiving an aggressive bum licking, and told to go away, to having a username similar to a minor African language being clear evidence of racism and cultural appropriation.

Your post has strong "what was he guilty of?" vibes: being new to these comedy forums, I guess.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
This forum is like what would happen if you held a bunch of various hobby conventions inside an insane asylum.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Collateral posted:

That means your son is too well adjusted to be a goon so you should probably disown him

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Collateral posted:

Not showing due difference to a subforum/thread superstar who was receiving an aggressive bum licking, and told to go away, to having a username similar to a minor African language being clear evidence of racism and cultural appropriation.

and this happened 3 times? within one month?

like i would never pretend this a lovely place is full of well adjusted people but it's also pretty easy to casually post here without ever getting dogpiled at all.

obviously some subforums are friendlier than others but there are lots and lots of places on SA where you can easily contribute to conversations about a pretty wide range of subjects without getting into any kind of conflict, even if you are new. so yeah im going to assume there's definitely still more to this than you are saying lol. if someone is getting dogpiled three times within their first month here they are almost definitely starting poo poo on purpose.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Sometimes it is really easy to upset people tho, and not even by saying something edgy. The right threads on the right subforums and you can reply to a dumb post and say "your dum" and people will get very mad.

Holy poo poo what if the guy was commenting on people's rapsheets? Full loving circle, people. Through the looking glass.